Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times

Advertisements

What does that mean to you?

My spouse and I have discussions about getting things done on the internet. He is a bit afraid of it, mistrusts it a lot, and prefers to do it the old fashioned way - pick up the phone. But it is getting harder and harder to do that and online is so much faster and easier and companies really want you to use their wed site. But he prefers to talk on the phone and it takes an awful long time to do simple things.

He seems to live in a different era, even his shopping is old fashioned - like the kind of products he buy at the grocery story. When I bring home some great crackers and goat cheese he loves it, polishes it off. But he will always come home only with a brick of cheddar and red delicious apples, because that is what he has known. There are so many more delicious varieties. He is smart, intelligent, and on top of current news and reads everything I do. Yet, I feel he just needs to get out there and feel the change and dance with it, you know?

How are YOU doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 04:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
I’ve always liked to try new things if I thought they would either benefit or interest me or both. If neither was a possibility I give it a pass. I usually don’t try something new just to try something new.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:50 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I like what I like. Someone says oh you HAVE to try this deep fried chocolate covered broccoli...um no I don't. Levis, plaid shirts, cowboy hat and boots, a steak on the grill, a good cigar. I'm good.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:15 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
My friend is outgoing and likes to talk and can talk to anyone but is scared and uncomfortable going to a different church for example. Whereas I see it as something new and fun.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
I try to keep up with the times but only to the extent it matters to me. For instance, I do business online and actually LIKE IT! How the heck did I manage all those years waiting for bills, writing checks, licking stamps etc etc? I almost never use cash. I like using the debit card mostly but somethings require use of the "old fashioned" credit card.

I still bristle sometimes about not being able to "just go to the store and buy it" but I think online shopping is another "giant leap for mankind."

But I do not own nor would I know what to do with an I-phone or a smart phone. (Are they the same things?) My current old fashioned candy bar phone can go online but I don't now how to use that function but that's OK 'cause I don't have any reason to use it.

I mow my own lawn with a reel type lawn mower and shovel the driveway with a shovel because I enjoy it (Well, sort of). It's one of those "it keeps you young" things. I am 60 and like to push that button that says "press to test." Just want to see if I can still do it.

I have a Cathode ray tube TV with a digital converter box because, well, the TV still works and I don't want to waste it by throwing it away. It will die some day and I will get a plasma wide-screen TV then. I have nothing against the new stuff. Besides I watch most of my TV on the computer anyway. A big desktop model. I have a laptop but never use it.

I also wear a heart monitor wrist watch and keep a blood pressure monitor nearby. No medical problems. I just like having the technology.

I have no kitchen gadgets because I like cooking simple things and they are best done in a pot, saucepan, frying pan. I do have one of those mini-blenders that one uses for smoothies or protein shakes, but no blender, mixers, microwave ovens, stick blender, slow cooker, fast cooker, pressure cooker.....

I play an acoustic guitar but tune it with an digital tuner.

I'm not too old to change/keep up when needed but old enough to seek out familiar, comfortable things when it matters.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:31 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Geez, I thought this thread was going to be about seniors getting married, LOL.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Tee hee

I love trying new things, especially foods, but I don't need to get out in the community to do so. In fact, I'd rather not leave home.

QUOTE=marino760;50411736]Geez, I thought this thread was going to be about seniors getting married, LOL.[/quote]

Old 12-15-2017, 06:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I stay more current than my husband. He still writes checks to pay bills, doing the whole stamps/envelopes/mailbox ordeal. I've told him it's so much easier to pay bills online, but he has no intention of ever doing that. He just recently realized that young people don't write checks and some young cashiers don't even know what to do with a check if he hands them one, and I think that bothers him, but he still keeps a tight grip on his old ways.

On the other hand, he has learned the basics of how to use a smartphone, so there's that.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:22 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,087 times
I do lots of stuff online, but I think of being engaged in my world as being more like going out and becoming involved in stuff. Like, going to lectures at the library, or volunteering to shuttle people to get their voter registration done or to vote, or going to church and actually staying for the coffee & donuts and conversation afterwards and actually conversing with someone new, or going to a class at the rec center or a quilt shop or the art center, or talking to people in line at the checkout, or ... well, you get the idea.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Mixed bag for us. I still pay bills by checks, but only because they are all set up that way and I don't know how to change it to online. But I shop A LOT online and use "chat" with friends and businesses. I have my phone and car insurance on auto pay. DIL gave me an iphone, which I use for UBER, camera, and internet when away from home. Husband? Strictly old school and content to let me handle most things now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement