Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 02:16 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Well said. Most of the time these threads are basically a simple way for folks to pat themselves on the back and to lets everyone know how brilliant they are.

many times that is the part i want to know-----how brilliant are they for doing what they did and can i steal any ideas .

over on the early retirement forum we bare our numbers all the time .not even a thought . we always talk and discuss actual numbers because everything is in context of a discussion .

i have no problem disclosing any financial info about myself if it is in context of the discussion .

many years ago we were featured in a money magazine article and had all our financials shown to 8 million people .

but i had no problem with it because it was in context of the article .

Old 12-23-2017, 02:25 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Quote:
Well said. Most of the time these threads are basically a simple way for folks to pat themselves on the back and to lets everyone know how brilliant they are.
Did you read the op..?

Old 12-23-2017, 02:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factcheckcd View Post
Then when there's a correction there'll be panic and amnesia.

Because that's what humans have always done and will continue to do. Not including the Depression era generation who continue to get mocked for being "thrifty" and displaying lifetime effects of living through an actual nightmare.
Yep.

Despite a 4.1% unemployment rate, the savings rate hit a 10 year low. Why is it that people could manage to save more in 2008 and 2009 than they can today? Pfft. People never freakin' learn.

U.S. Consumer Spending Rises, Savings Rate at 10-Year Low -- Update

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-23-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 02:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
basically this one is a work-around discussing mod actions - mod deleted a thread and OP produced another one and ******* and moans about something being deleted

Old 12-23-2017, 02:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My mom is the last of the people who grew up in the Depression era. Born in 1932. She's 85. There aren't many of those left.

And my mom has never been thrifty. I run her finances. She could very well run out of money before she dies and it's up to my sister and I to make sure she's OK.
Your mom is a sample size of 1.

I think it's true, collectively speaking, that those who grew up during the Depression generally saved more and didn't complain as much as people do today.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:33 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many times that is the part i want to know-----how brilliant are they for doing what they did and can i steal any ideas .

over on the early retirement forum we bare our numbers all the time .not even a thought . we always talk and discuss actual numbers because everything is in context of a discussion .

i have no problem disclosing any financial info about myself if it is in context of the discussion .

many years ago we were featured in a money magazine article and had all our financials shown to 8 million people .

but i had no problem with it because it was in context of the article .
And that's cool BUT you are one poster and others have just as much right to respectfully post dissenting views.

I'm on early retirement also (bclover) and while they do give up numbers RARELY do you see thead remotely like those here. They are 100% more helpful. Here you basically get, you're broke because you want to be.

Its not about showing anything.

Just my take. I would never do that here. Lol, I've already neen told i was stupid for not purchasing LTC insurance and then called a fool for having a timeshare.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Ok this makes more sense. But in the internet world you have to write carefully. Nothing wrong with being thankful, or even a bit proud as long as you acknowledge some luck. Just not bragging or comparing.
Where did I brag or compare? It was not Luck.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
basically this one is a work-around discussing mod actions - mod deleted a thread and OP produced another one and ******* and moans about something being deleted
LOL. You are merging people. We are not all the same

My and wife and I just got back from lunch and movie with my grandson and missed most of this

Old 12-23-2017, 02:42 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
And that's cool BUT you are one poster and others have just as much right to respectfully post dissenting views.

I'm on early retirement also (bclover) and while they do give up numbers RARELY do you see thead remotely like those here. They are 100% more helpful. Here you basically get, you're broke because you want to be.

Its not about showing anything.

Just my take. I would never do that here. Lol, I've already neen told i was stupid for not purchasing LTC insurance and then called a fool for having a timeshare.

they are two different types of forums for one thing . people there are there because it has some of the smartest posters on the subject and is HIGHLY FINANCIALLY ORIENTED . i was mentored by a lot of folks there . it does not have the broad mix of rich ,poor and everything in between like we do under a broad heading of retirement like we do .

most there are there to learn , do better and debate retirement research findings and planning .

i don't see a whole lot of i am poor "woe is me " or others accusing others of bragging or patting themselves on the back .

totally different forum geared for a much narrower audience .

Old 12-23-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I was not the OP of the other thread. I was surprised that it was deleted and how crazy it got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement