Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wonder how much double pane windows would cost, but the real problem is the floor leaks major cold air and other than covering a hardwood floor, it would be tricky to fix.

We got the house for dirt cheap, so its not a problem. Most of the problems have been fixed but the floor, and its not a simple fix.
Do you have vents into a crawlspace? Those should be CLOSED during the winter. Actually, the should be closed all the time (encapsulation if you want to look into it). My crawlspace, with no heat beyond what radiates down, is currently 58F. Floors are slightly cool if in bare feet, but nearly undetectable in socks and absolutely undetectable in slippers/house shoes.

Also, were you running your water? Only takes a stream about as thick as the lead in a pencil to provide enough movement to keep water from freezing. This works down to about -40 reliably. Take care to watch for leaks now, frozen pipes often rupture and flood properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I'm here in northeast Texas and for the first time since I bought my vehicle a year ago, I turned on my steering wheel warmer yesterday. And I had to figure out how to keep the car windows from refrosting, which I'm not used to, but I figured that out.

Thank goodness we're supposed to warm up to our usual "50s for highs and 30s for lows" over the next few days, but today it's still supposed to be pretty dang cold.

More good news - apparently my house is well built because I've had no problem staying toasty warm inside which is really nice. No drafty areas either.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Here in Park City, it is 1* F on my back porch. A year ago it was -20.

I'll be hitting the ski slopes a bit later this morning. I don't mind skiing down to about -10. Even at zero I don't wear an insulator under my ski pants. but I do wear a face mask.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We are no longer snowbirds. We closed on our house in NY the week before Christmas. I am so happy not to be worrying about it during this cold snap. No more checking the thermostat every morning and worrying about the big trees during high winds. Those worries are no longer ours.

It’s 52 degrees currently here in SWFL. It’s rainy and cloudy, we may need to turn the heat on without any sun to warm up the house today. We replaced the single pane windows with double pane hurricane impact resistant ones this summer, which has made a difference. Tonight will be in the upper thirties with a wind chill advisory. Sunday will get back to normal temps.

In the meantime, I have a few mock turtlenecks, wool socks and flannel pajamas for days like these. The hats I knitted for the grandkids here may actually see some use.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
12f this morning, high today forecast in the 50's. I have a pellet stove that heats this entire place and it's 58 in here now. I'm comfortable. Love the cold hate the heat.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
It's 28 here in South Carolina- brrrrr. We are expecting rain/sleet and even snow tonight. Since most of the people here do not know how to drive in this weather I'm staying in today/tonight.
House temp is set at 70 and I'll probably turn on the fireplace later today. New construction so insulation is fine.
The cats stepped out on the porch for about a minute and are now curled up on the throw on the couch sleeping.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
With southern Arizona and northern Florida at temps around 32°f, how are some of you coping?
By living in southern Florida.

It's currently 66, with an expected high this afternoon of 71. Although the high will only reach the low to mid 60s over the next three days, we'll be back in the mid to high 70s by Monday. (expected high 77).

I hope some people remember this difference between northern and southern Florida the next time weather is discussed, and the inevitable comment is made that weather is the same throughout Florida.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
As a summer-loving Texan, I am pretty miserable. This bitter cold, highs in the mid-20s, is terrible. Retired now, so just staying inside until the weather warms a bit.

Went to take trash out on Sunday, did not realize there was some thin ice on walkway, fell on my hip but did not break anything. Topical soreness only. Was a real wake-up call!!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
By the weekend it will have been over 10 days of bitter cold temperatures here in SE Michigan. This morning the temperature is only 1 degree and Thursday through Saturday will be even colder. These temperatures are not uncommon but their duration is extremely long.

Change your furnace filter! A clean filter may help the furnace blower extract more heat to warm your home quicker or easier. It definitely cannot hurt.
We moved to the high desert from SE Michigan. It was 24 here this a.m. and will be in the low 50s today, slightly warmer than normal. What is unusual is that we're nearing 90 days with no measurable precipitation, but that also means nearly 90 days of bright sunny skies.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM

41 posts, read 31,414 times
Here in Northern Wisconsin we have already had nights as low as 22 below zero and days that did not even reach zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement