Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

I plan to take early retirement in late 2019. I have already notified my first and second level managers so they can start the too long process of hiring and training a replacement.

I like my work. I like my co-workers and all support staffs I interface with. I like my first and second level managers. The work procedures are truly asinine but after more than 4-1/2 years of working with them I am OK.

Late this afternoon my first level manager and a returned retiree working in our group were tossing about names of other retirees that might be interested in returning to work for 6-8 months. Based on this I am certain I will be contacted after I leave.

Hourly pay rate for returned retirees is about 2x what the pre-retire full time staff receives. No benefits naturally.

How many others would return for defined periods at 2x pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Definitely would not return to the workforce for any amount of compensation.
Life is to short, and the older you get, the faster it passes.
On the other hand, if your job is your life, stick with it.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
What would be required? WWIII and recall to active duty from retirement. Hope that never happens.

Or if my nest egg drops 75% of its current value, I might consider returning. I can't see that happening.

I'm a licensed health care provider. I retired my license a couple of years ago. I'd have to file for reinstatement and transfer to the state of FL ---as well as probably take a ton of continuing education. I haven't practice in 9 yrs so I doubt if I'll ever go through that whole process.....I'm done.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Actually under state law (where I retired from) in cases of emergency the Governor can recall all state law enforcement retirees and put them back on duty.

I would go kicking and screaming all the way back no matter what they paid me.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:43 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Short of abject poverty, nothing.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:55 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I would be willing to return to my current job for the right hourly rate on a part time basis, if I were in the role of a senior advisor rather than being responsible for everything.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I plan to take early retirement in late 2019. ...
I like my work. I like my co-workers and all support staffs I interface with. I like my first and second level managers. ...tossing about names of other retirees that might be interested in returning to work for 6-8 months. Based on this I am certain I will be contacted after I leave.

Hourly pay rate for returned retirees is about 2x what the pre-retire full time staff receives. No benefits naturally.

How many others would return for defined periods at 2x pay?
Thousands at my former engineering / innovation employer returned (FT, PT, Job Share, Temp agencies...)

A group of 'outdoorsy' engineers worked out a 'job-share' so they could rotate hunting seasons.

Usually 2 -3x previous pay (if providing own benefits)

One senior designer made 5 trips back (as a company employee) and got 4 severance packages

Very fun, talented, engaging workforce and a great employer.

I would suspect the dissenters are possibly ex-gov employees who hated their jobs (for 30+ yrs) and are on an equivalent (or better) pension.

Understandable... there are MANY things to do in our limited time! I am glad my 'employed' yrs were very exciting and fun and lots of patents / contributions to technology and society.

I would return to work for the 'Profit Sharing!', since I always gave that 'windfall' (~10% of wages) to needy neighbors (I still have needy neighbors).

I kinda liked paid vacations, and being paid to travel. Each would still be desired today. (YMMV)

No 'need' for any of the above, and the current investment season should spin off plenty of 'Windfall' for the neighbors! But... I would have no problem returning to any of my former jobs, should that be a necessity / desire.

If you love your work (or want to learn a new gig) and you have completed your bucket list and more importantly your Honey-doo list... then you should 'exercise your options!' (Whatever they may be)

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
A very drastic improvement in my health.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A very drastic improvement in my health.

haha

I was going to say two good hips and the return of my mind

Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
If a proposed new facility opened up 50 miles from my new house, I would consider working once a week there for grocery money/walkin around money/fear of poverty. I am transferring my license to the new state with no intent or plan to use it.

I do plan to apply for a job at an animal shelter where I'd like to volunteer, if they'd hire me, I'd prefer that for the above walkin around money.

Abject (fear of) poverty could push me into something but that's it. Night clerk at the hotel. Something.
I say this bravely as I go out the door for #14 of my last night shifts. I'm really tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement