Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We have 17 self checkouts and they are one of the reasons we still have greeters who check receipts. You'd be amazed at how people try to 'cheat' at the self checkouts. Our new scanners and cameras are very good at spotting that these days though. Basically they are mainly checking large unbagged items and they are making sure that we cashiers are catching everything. It's really easy to miss large bags of pet food, cases of water, beer, etc. on the bottom of a basket. I've done it...
Do y'all tag the large items once they have been scanned? At our large chain grocery store -HEB - any large items like bags of dog food or cases of water get a sticker applied to show that they have been processed and paid for.

Can't remember if Walmart does that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
still have them at my local Walmart. They don't do anything but say hi.
The one closest to me has never said hi to me. Mostly he just looks the other way when customers come in. Might as well stick a cardboard cutout of a greeter there.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
They started that last year. What ticks me off though is that it took me seven years to reach that wage and, even though we do get raises every year, I'm wondering how they are going to go with us longer employed people. The overnight people will always get $1 more an hour so they'll go to $12 hour. I know, a lot of people still think that's 'chicken feed' but when you start at $8-9 hour it's not such a bad thing. Because of this more people are opting to go with the 401k plan and quite a few own shares of stock. We have people who've been there 20+ years and they are doing darn good!

Walmart wants you to be mad so you tell them to take this job and shove it. Then they'll hire your replacement at $11 an hour.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Bad news for those who plan to work part-time in retirement as Sam's Club greeters and membership card checkers....

Walmart suddenly closes Sam's Club stores - Business Insider

Including every one in Alaska. Now Costco will be even more crowded.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
We have 17 self checkouts and they are one of the reasons we still have greeters who check receipts. You'd be amazed at how people try to 'cheat' at the self checkouts. Our new scanners and cameras are very good at spotting that these days though. Basically they are mainly checking large unbagged items and they are making sure that we cashiers are catching everything. It's really easy to miss large bags of pet food, cases of water, beer, etc. on the bottom of a basket. I've done it...

When the reminder to check your cart for additional items pops up on the screen would be an excellent time to check one's cart!

Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The one closest to me has never said hi to me. Mostly he just looks the other way when customers come in. Might as well stick a cardboard cutout of a greeter there.

Just put a waving arm on the cardboard cutout, like those cat figurines you see with the one waving paw. And Walmart can save $11 an hour and all the other associated costs.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Bad news for those who plan to work part-time in retirement as Sam's Club greeters and membership card checkers....

Walmart suddenly closes Sam's Club stores - Business Insider
The Sam's Club up near us [MD] quit checking membership cards of those entering the store.
They do have checkers at exits. Making sure u have items in cart to match receipt.
I do feel bad for those let go because of the closings. More unemployed

Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Do y'all tag the large items once they have been scanned? At our large chain grocery store -HEB - any large items like bags of dog food or cases of water get a sticker applied to show that they have been processed and paid for.

Can't remember if Walmart does that here.

No, but that's a good idea!

Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Walmart wants you to be mad so you tell them to take this job and shove it. Then they'll hire your replacement at $11 an hour.

LOL...don't think so. My store and managers are great. I can't tell you how great they've been to me over the years. They've been really great since I returned to work after my broken hip. I have always felt like they appreciate me and have always had my back. They won't even 'make me' do anything...like work the doors or self checkout...if I don't want to. lol Yeah, I'm spoiled. I wouldn't turn down a BIG FAT raise but I suppose a smaller one is better than none.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When the reminder to check your cart for additional items pops up on the screen would be an excellent time to check one's cart!

Far as I know they do check. The regular registers have no such reminder. Oh, wait...I didn't mean that *I* missed things when I do self checkout. I've missed them as a cashier though and I've even forgotten to scan something when the customer TOLD me they had it. I ain't perfect yet! lol We usually do catch it before they leave the register and I apologize profusely for making them do two transactions. Nobody has been mad at me about it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement