Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM

623 posts, read 966,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Of course, they do. Just do a google search for low-income senior housing by city.

Here in WI - Milwaukee and nearby counties - we have many - AND - they are advertising for residents of late. Some are located in very nice suburbs. HUD developments exist in the Boulder, CO area - some only Section 8, others Section 8 and HUD. HUD developments normally don't charge more than 30% of one's gross monthly income. Wait lists probably about two years.

Food stamps, I'm not so sure. A $1,500 mo. gross income pretty much eliminates eligibility in most states. Congress decimated the program a few years ago.

I've known a number of women who have moved into these - two elderly women now deceased, one a living coworker. They were/are hardly living under a bridge. Three which immediately come to mind are in very nice suburbs - Wauwatosa, New Berlin, Waukesha.
Not here in So Florida and good luck living with Section 8 people. This whole thread is unrealistic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM

623 posts, read 966,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You wouldn't get Medicaid in Texas. The cutoff is $6k income a year. I assume there are other states like that.

Also, food stamps are not generous in many states for adults, even seniors. They give supplemental stamps to you for a while, and then they stop.

Bus pass? Are we supposed to have buses around here somewhere? Nope. Don't have 'em. Car (or relatives who will take you places) required.

Subsidized housing for Grandmas? Like buses, most places don't have such things. Maybe they can live in "the projects," which is federal subsidized housing for the poor. Those places are hotbeds of drug activities, gangs, etc.

So Grandma getting $1,500/mo better have some kids partially supporting her.
My feelings exactly

Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
OP's basic question was, Can you live on $1500 a month? For a single person, the obvious answer is yes. Lots of people do it.

Now, OP's hypothetical budget was obviously naive and misguided, but sure, it's possible to live on $1500 a month. You have to find a low COL location with some public transportation, maybe live with a roommate, be extremely careful in your budgeting, forego pets and luxuries.

Some snarky people on this thread say this is merely existing, rather than living, but I think everyone's wants and needs are different.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gotta love Texas. The land of low taxes.

This retired Social Worker saw many a poor retiree do just fine in our high tax state of CA. Subsided senior housing. Medicaid and social services supportive by the state. I know that some conservatives hate helping the deserving poor, but that’s why I’m good living in a high tax state. WWJD?

What makes them so deserving? The fact that they live at taxpayer expense because they failed to plan for their eventual retirement? Maybe I missed something. But one thing I didn't miss was planning for my future.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:52 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The root of this argument is that the poor and those getting public benefits are doing better than those that work and pay their own bills.

This idea comes up every couple of months. It's obvious that people don't know what It's like to have your life constrained by the availability and limits of public support.

Then there is also the social/political issue. Don't spend a lifetime complaining about people mooching off of welfare and benefits when you intend to live off of benefits when you retire.
The country's largesse for the poor is going lower and lower - it was never something that could be counted on as each administration has its own view, and states also have their say. I don't think it's a position many want to be in unless they have no choice at all - so much uncertainty when most older people are thinking about having stability in all areas of their life.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
OP's basic question was, Can you live on $1500 a month? For a single person, the obvious answer is yes. Lots of people do it.

Now, OP's hypothetical budget was obviously naive and misguided, but sure, it's possible to live on $1500 a month. You have to find a low COL location with some public transportation, maybe live with a roommate, be extremely careful in your budgeting, forego pets and luxuries.

Some snarky people on this thread say this is merely existing, rather than living, but I think everyone's wants and needs are different.
This!!!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,075,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gotta love Texas. The land of low taxes.

This retired Social Worker saw many a poor retiree do just fine in our high tax state of CA. Subsided senior housing. Medicaid and social services supportive by the state. I know that some conservatives hate helping the deserving poor, but that’s why I’m good living in a high tax state. WWJD?
I would not limit that to a specific political party affiliation.

There are many people of both parties that can only afford to retire and support themselves so they move.
If you can support both yourself and the poor in retirement then good for you. But not everyone has the financial resources you do.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:26 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
My sister chose this route. Retired young, lived well and ran through all her money. Now she is getting by on a small SS check.

I chose a different path. Worked like a dog and sacrificed until close to 65. Now I have money to spend but declining health and a limited remaining lifespan.

I don't know about the snarkyness. It is nice to have money for travel, to go out to eat, for toys and hobbies and to help pay for the grandkids going to summer camp. My sister is just able to pay for the basics of a small apartment, food from the discount grocery, and an old beater of a car. The cruises, toys and entertainment are over. She has great memories but not a lot to look forward to that would cost any money.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Yes, we are retired, living quite comfortably on less than $1,500. If you want to call beachfront living in a nice condo merely "existing", have at it! You can make it work, just may have to "move around" some!

I love these kinds of threads; they are the most interesting, seeing everybody get all defensive and accusatory! Great fun.......

Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, we are retired, living quite comfortably on less than $1,500. If you want to call beachfront living in a nice condo merely "existing", have at it! You can make it work, just may have to "move around" some!

I love these kinds of threads; they are the most interesting, seeing everybody get all defensive and accusatory! Great fun.......
Is your beachfront condo $500/month subsidized housing?

People with all income levels can live a great life. The issue is do we plan to be limited to only SS or do we want more financial flexibility. If all of your expenses can be covered by SS alone, then have at it. However, to intentionally choose NOT to save or plan for retirement because of the availability of public benefits is somewhat problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement