Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

I got the flu the day before Christmas and I had it last year too. I got a flu shot every year. 2 friends in church had it really bad for 2 weeks. The flu is scary and dangerous for old people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
When I was working, I had to have what is known as a 'scrum' every Monday morning to discuss my upcoming weeks tasks to my team. This meant face-to-face reporting while standing around a small table in a small cubicle area. It never failed; during FLU season, there would always be someone there with symptoms, and they wouldn't want to miss work, so stayed on the job until they (and we), were really sick. The problem was, every two years, I came down with some really severe symptoms, and last year, got pneumonia because of this. I was totally nailed by it and didn't work for two weeks. To try to prevent this, the company did its best, and provided on-site medical staff, plenty of hand-wipes and alcohol cleaners available everywhere, and distributed clean drinking containers that were filled with purified water at new touch-less drinking-water stations so we didn't have to contact drinking fountains. Still, with the number of people we interacted with on a daily basis, it was a crap-shoot as to whether or not we were going to be protected. This year, FLU appears to be pretty bad.

My question is this: Now that you are retired, is the incidence of FLU you get reduced due to co-worker exposure- or the same?
I retired 12/23 and I was retired exactly TWO weeks before I came down with the flu. I think I am over it, just a little snuffling. Really nasty stuff. I've been really, really sick with this.

I get out and about and am sure that is the reason I caught it.

I had a flu shot back in October.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Had the Asian flu at 18 in 1957 and maybe a slight flu one or two times since, but that's been it. No flu vaccines for me. No colds either. I spent 4.5 months in rehabs last year due to a knee infection, long story, and I feared I'd get sick and I did NOT. I believe it's the antioxidants I take that keep my immune system strong. I'm totally retired for the last 14 yrs.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I got the flu the day before Christmas and I had it last year too. I got a flu shot every year. 2 friends in church had it really bad for 2 weeks. The flu is scary and dangerous for old people.
Last I heard, 42 Californians under the age of 65 had died from the flu this season. A 40 year old San Jose woman died on Jan. 4.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I think I probably get the flu as often as when I used to work, but I get over it faster because I can take care of myself. Also, I think having a less-stressful life, where you can get as much rest as you need, and it's easier to eat healthier, etc., means when I get sick, it doesn't really kick my butt like it used to.

When you work lots of hours, and you're stressed and not sleeping and eating well, I think you get sicker.

In my senior apartment building, though, we share elevators and grandparents have their grandkids visit, so I think I still get as much exposure. I just don't seem to get as sick, since I can take better care of myself now.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It’s the same. I traded co-workers for elementary school-aged grandkids. I do the handwashing do-not-touch-the-face routine, but it’s the spontaneous hugs and kisses that do me in. Oops.
Mine are even younger and I generally mind them a couple of days a week. I often catch the train to go to one of my daughters places so I cannot avoid exposure one way or another.
The flu was three times the normal level this year and I ended up with extra babysitting as the kids got sick, the other grandmother who babysits got sick, the paid nanny got sick, the son-in-law got sick while daughter was on a business trip.
Thankfully I only came down with a minor dose so I must have developed some immunity somewhere. (I had a flu shot but they weren't very effective as apparently the strains were mutating quickly.)

Old 01-19-2018, 03:16 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Been knocking on wood for years and had the flu shot every year. Monday came down with it. Did not really get off the sofa for 3 days. Temp spiked to 101.9 for a day. The worst right now is the awful cough. Looking forward to a very hot shower.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 AM

337 posts, read 449,111 times
every year it seems I catch something at the Gym. It's got to be right up there with hospitals as one of the worst place to catch crud. I even sanitize my hands 7-10 times while in there.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'm retiring next Saturday (!) and got the flu shot in September, required for all at my job or wear a mask. Got the flu (G.I. version) last weekend and spent Mon-through this morning in bed except for tea/toast and letting dogs in and out. I'm told that there are a lot of multiple sick calls at work, so I guess the vaccine wasn't too effective, unless it is preventing more serious outcomes.

Back to work tonight. Eight shifts to go. I slept through the two that I would have had to work except for the flu. My supervisor has an autoimmune disorder and she has to wear a mask all the time she is at work.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
At my old job there were always a few that would come in sick &,yes, spread their germs around. I got sick every single winter.

Since retiring I haven't been sick once. But, I am a homebody which is probably why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement