Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:36 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times

Advertisements

Sounds like we are all in the same boat. I have a really hard time sleeping, and now, changing to a different sleep schedule from work. For the last seven years, I was up at 5:00am to get ready to go to work, and arrived home between 6-7pm. I hated that schedule; I am not a morning person, never was until recently. Now I have a hard time sleeping past 4am.

When I was a musician before college, my work schedule was all nights. For years, I worked three shows a night: 9pm, 11pm, 1am. Then the band was off to rehearsal until 5am, breakfast and bed. When I finally dropped that routine and went to college, I easily worked graveyard (10pm to 6am) for another 4 1/2 years so I could go to school and work. After college, It took years to get to a 'normal' sleep cycle (whatever that is). Now I am stuck in limbo between the two worlds. Get tired at 8:30pm, can't sleep past 4am. This is the worst cycle of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I've been taking this "relax and sleep" formula I got at Walmart over the past few weeks and it's been able to keep me in a more restful sleep without constant waking up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Va...0-Ct/469535750
Thanks for the tip; Melatonin doesn't work for me, I will try that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 AM

812 posts, read 795,562 times
Great topic meo! This is something I am really looking forward to when I retire (3 more weeks!!). Sleep! I get up at 4:30 because I have a long commute. Sometimes I wake up at 3 and then can't go back to sleep because I know that #@$%! alarm is going to go off soon.

I have to go to bed so early that falling asleep can be difficult too, especially on Sunday nights. I've found the 4-7-8 breathing exercise actually helps sometimes. https://www.drweil.com/videos-featur...demonstration/

Old 03-14-2018, 11:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Not retired yet but look forward to not having to get up for a 12hr shift after a sleepless night. Ugh!!

My sleep issues started with the joyous menopause and just went downhill after that. It's very frustrating and hopefully after I retire it get easier. I don't mind trying to function after a sleepless night when I don't have to be at work.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
I have a weird sleep disorder and LOVE the night. All thru my life, I only slept every few nights or so. As a baby child, in my crib, I can remember being bored and screaming and calling out, just to get someone to come to me, to relieve my boredom. What an evil child I was! This weird sleep thing served me well in other ways: as a cop, I loved and volunteered for graveyard shifts. I also could work multiple jobs, staying awake easily over 36 hours. And then, as a stripper, same sort of thing. Now that I am totally retired and not working.... it is the same sort of thing.

Some folks are just wired to stay awake, or not need much in the way of sleep. I have a form of catelepsy, also, the weird, can't go into REM for hours and hours, and I move like 40+ times an hour. Not really a problem - I just deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement