Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 10:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I find it fascinating that there is zero curiosity about what would CAUSE shingles in the first place.

It's a virus that 95% of the population gets in childhood & lays dormant in our systems.

Lots of people get chicken pox - they don't all go on to get shingles.

This is true, about 1/3 of the population will get shingles. The percentage increases with age, by early 80's 50% will develop shingles.

There is a theory that chicken pox is not even a factor in getting shingles (don't know details, someone just mentioned this theory to me, so it's "out there").

I think "out there" is an apt description of this.

I think the origin of any dis-ease is key.

Is it a vitamin deficiency?

A result of stress that the body expresses in that particular way?

A combination of factors? If so, what are they?

No curiosity at all - just "you might get shingles, so have this vaccine."
About 1/3 of those who do contract shingles will experience serious complications including chronic pain which could last for years. Over 60yo & the chances of severe complications increase.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Walgreens is giving shots also.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
I find it fascinating that there is zero curiosity about what would CAUSE shingles in the first place.

There's no need for curiosity; the cause is known.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353054

Quote:
There is a theory that chicken pox is not even a factor in getting shingles (don't know details, someone just mentioned this theory to me, so it's "out there").
Yeah, well there is a theory that the moon landings were all fake too. That's "out there" as well.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying in this post.

About 1/3 of those who do contract shingles will experience serious complications including chronic pain which could last for years. Over 60yo & the chances of severe complications increase.
Again, no mention of the genesis of "flare-up" or symptoms.

Not everyone goes on to get shingles, so what is the trigger for those who do?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:49 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
[quote=MadManofBethesda;51824096]There's no need for curiosity; the cause is known.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353054

Yeah, well there is a theory that the moon landings were all fake too. That's "out there" as well. [/QUOTE

And it "may not" reactivate.

Why does it or doesn't it?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your link is from 2016 and pertains to a different, older vaccine. If you want to continue to recommend against people getting the vaccine, at least try to stay up with current events.

Well that settles it then! Never mind the fact that a million people each year just in the U.S. get shingles, since jaminhealth and her parents didn't get shingles, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to get vaccinated!

For those of you for some unknown and illogical reason don't think that jaminhealth's sample of 3 people is statistically significant, you may be interested in reading the below article entitled "No Excuses, People: Get the New Shingles Vaccine"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/h...s-vaccine.html
People do what they want. I also don't get the other suggested tests the AMA tells us we NEED. I don't live in "fear" as they want us to live. And yes I do keep immune system strong and work to prevent the nasty shingles stuff. I've posted a lot about prevention with no vaccines but MOST are not interested here, anyway.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:

I think the origin of any dis-ease is key.

Is it a vitamin deficiency?

A result of stress that the body expresses in that particular way?

A combination of factors? If so, what are they?

No curiosity at all - just "you might get shingles, so have this vaccine."
WHO exactly isn't curious? Just because it isn't mentioned in the same breath as news about a particular vaccine doesn't mean it isn't being done:

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/...rough-Research

What research is being done?
The mission of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) is to seek fundamental knowledge about the brain and nervous system and to use that knowledge to reduce the burden of neurological disease. The NINDS is a component of the National Institutes of Health, the leading supporter of biomedical research in the world.

The NINDS funds and conducts research on a wide range of neurological disorders, such as shingles, to understand their causes and to develop and improve ways to diagnosis, treat, and prevent them.

Medical research on shingles has two main goals. The first is to develop drugs to fight the disease and to prevent or treat its complications. The second is to understand the disease well enough to prevent it, especially in people at high risk. To achieve these goals, scientists need to learn much more about VZV and its effects, including how it becomes latent in nerve cells (neurons), what induces it to become active again, and how such reactivation can lead to postherpetic neuralgia and other complications..

For example, the NINDS supports research on the interplay between the viral proteins and virus defense mechanisms in neurons to understand why the varicella-zoster virus establishes latency uniquely in neurons and not in other cell types. Other studies focus on how VZV travels along sensory nerve fibers, or axons, and its role in latency and viral reactivation. Scientists also hope to identify molecular mechanisms that regulate the expression of latent viral genes, which may lead to targeted therapy to prevent reactivation.

Research on postherpetic neuralgia includes studies in animal models of the condition, to better understand cellular changes that lead to persistent pain. These changes may represent future targets in the form of improved vaccines, new medicines, or even gene therapy.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Again, no mention of the genesis of "flare-up" or symptoms.

Not everyone goes on to get shingles, so what is the trigger for those who do?
The answer is that no one knows at this point, although conditions that suppress the immune system can do it. That includes just getting older and also being on medications that can do it, such as cancer chemotherapy.

https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con...es-threat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
People do what they want. I also don't get the other suggested tests the AMA tells us we NEED. I don't live in "fear" as they want us to live. And yes I do keep immune system strong and work to prevent the nasty shingles stuff. I've posted a lot about prevention with no vaccines but MOST are not interested here, anyway.
The "AMA" does not tell anyone what tests they NEED.

There is no scientific evidence supporting any alt med prevention or treatment for shingles.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:03 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The answer is that no one knows at this point, although conditions that suppress the immune system can do it. That includes just getting older and also being on medications that can do it, such as cancer chemotherapy.

https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/con...es-threat.html

The "AMA" does not tell anyone what tests they NEED.

There is no scientific evidence supporting any alt med prevention or treatment for shingles.

You don't know what works, so as usual, we just agree to disagree....

I don't live by the science writers. Every body is unique and what works for that body is what works.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:10 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,194,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I agree with this. Having been though shingles, I feel certain that the trigger for me was a prolonged period of extreme stress - a couple of months. That period really wiped me out and just when I came though it and thought my life had settled down, BAM! Shingles outbreak. Others that I know who also had shingles were also mid-50's and had just been though some prolonged extreme mental stress.

So for those wondering what a typical trigger for shingles would be - as suzy_q says, anything that stresses your immune system past it's ability to subdue viral vulnerabilities like shingles.

Since that attack, I've learned that I need to keep my stress level lower, by whatever means necessary. I'll probably also get the new shot when I turn 60, just in case. That previous poster's description of being constantly stung by wasps for a couple of weeks is pretty accurate. But I also suffered a very deep intense pain that felt like in the very center of my bones were on fire. This pain - I never want to experience again.

I remember saying at the time that I had 3 kinds of pain. Surface skin burning, nerve pain, and what felt like "bone pain". The pain killer only helped with the skin pain, and only for a couple of hours. But it couldn't touch the nerve and bone pain (it probably wasn't really in my bones, but that's how it felt). Never in my life have I suffered from 3 kinds of such intense pain simultaneously. Very unique suffering.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 05-07-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement