Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 02:43 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Note that all of those are temporary exclusions except allergy.

Testing for immunity to the virus is not routinely recommended since virtually everyone old enough to get the vaccine has had chickenpox. Even if you have not had chickenpox but you do not know it, you can still take Shingrix. If you have tested negative, the lower dose chickenpox vaccine is used.

One issue is whether they will develop a version of Shingrix to replace the live childhood chickenpox vaccine. The current vaccine does have a small risk of causing shingles.

No, I am not doing the same thing she is doing. We were discussing effectiveness. That is totally different from side effects. Lysine can cause side effects, too. She tries to convince people to use her favorite supps based only on her belief that hey "work" for her.

Every vaccine is closely followed after it is released. That is standard procedure.
And you and others are trying to convince everyone to get the vaccine. She believes in supplements. Works for her. You believe in the vaccine. It might or might not work for you. No difference.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:54 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Not sure of your meaning; not familiar with this saying. How are you applying this saying to this thread, please?
Beliefs are very important in shaping people's attitudes and guiding their actions. They are very difficult to change as they are an integral part of one's personality. Strong beliefs about something can become that individual's reality. It's an old saying, and one that applies to many aspects of life.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,194,492 times
Well, folks... as interesting as this thread has been, I think I've said all that I need to say on the topic. In the end, it's an individual, personal choice. Maybe it goes against logic to substitute supplements for a preventive vaccine, but we all have to do what we think is right. Whether or not I agree is unimportant.

Supplements or vaccine, I wish that those who have not had shingles, will never contract it. We all live and learn. Roll the dice.. sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

My final word is that the vaccine is about as close to a sure thing as there is. I'd take that bet in Vegas any day!

Old 05-12-2018, 02:56 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,194,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Beliefs are very important in shaping people's attitudes and guiding their actions. They are very difficult to change as they are an integral part of one's personality. Strong beliefs about something can become that individual's reality. It's an old saying, and one that applies to many aspects of life.
Got it, and I agree. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2018, 02:59 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Easy. Im well over 65 and the only person I know that had shingles was 30 yrs ago. Most people will never have it. Just because a drug co says this vaccine is the best thing since sliced bread doesnt mean it is. You do what you think is right for you, and others will do what is right for them. Easy peasy.
Hi Williepaws, the Center for Disease Control in January 2018 stated that "almost one out of every 3 people will develop shingles." They also state that the instance of getting shingles is much, much greater in older people, so I would assume that 1 in 3 average is probably like 1 in 2 for people over 50. That seems a lot, but I myself have known at least 10 people who've had shingles.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:32 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Hi Williepaws, the Center for Disease Control in January 2018 stated that "almost one out of every 3 people will develop shingles." They also state that the instance of getting shingles is much, much greater in older people, so I would assume that 1 in 3 average is probably like 1 in 2 for people over 50. That seems a lot, but I myself have known at least 10 people who've had shingles.
Interesting. 1out of 3 means 2 out of 3 wont get it. And if the avg decreases with age, it still is 50% that wont and we dont know why. I know of no one in the past 30 yrs that has had it and I barely known anyone who has gotten either vaccine. I wish they would be more specific about why the virus reactivates, if they know.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:14 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I wonder how many here enthusiastically took Zostavax?

The point is that you don't know what is being peddled as a "cure" by the medical establishment that might turn out to be problematic or dangerous.

Now everyone is jumping on the new drug bandwagon.

I would say if you want to prevent shingles (or any other illness), tend to your immune system and be aware of how you are managing stress. There are a number of holistic reinforcements out there for any one interested in attaining and maintaining optimum health.

All manufactured pharmaceutical "cures" have toxic side effects - side effects are not just fine print that should be glossed over.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. Do you know anyone who has had shingles? I mean up close and personal. Have you actually seen how the disease acts and its effects? Have you had personal experience with shingles?

I want to know if you speak from a position of having seen shingles in action.

Yes, 1 person and she was about 65 and just into retirement and took on a new puppy and the stress of training that dog put her into shingles...we've talked about it and she pretty much agreed. Being up all hours of the night with a crying puppy. Cleaning up pee/poop from a puppy. At 65 or so...it would be like bringing a new baby into your care at that age.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I could mention a lot of other things the CDC says is great for us, but I'd being going off topic. Don't trust them very far either. Nor the EPA in many cases.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
And I don't understand how someone who has had NO experience with a shingle outbreak speak against the vaccine with such authority. I don't get that.
I get NO vaccines period. And I"m not your greatest fan of pharma. That is why.

I think everyone should do what they feel is right for them, get it or not...I prefer not to add toxins to my body IF I can help it. We get enough from so many other things why add more.

It takes some work on our part to keep that immune system healthy and keep and work on being able to handle stress. Some can't it's true, so the drugs. Pharma needs those people. Pharma doesn't like people like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement