Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:50 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

We won’t resolve the myriad social-wedge issues in this thread, but one thing is clear: if a person has one sort of belief-system, having been brought up in a milieu with that predominant belief-system, and then retires to a locale with an altogether different ethos, that’s going to cause problems. Open-mindedness does go a long way, allowing neighbors to stay cordial, even if they disagree vehemently. But let’s not mistake distant politeness for genuine comity.

For an affluent retiree looking for privacy and low taxes, the fundamental problem is that places offering privacy and low taxes are probably going to be socially conservative. If said retiree shares those beliefs, then that’s fantastic! But if not? Then we might have, as in that famous chain-gang film, a failure to communicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
^^^Very true. Upthread the lowest-cost counties. AL, MS, AR. That would take some adjustment for a liberal-thinker. If it's all Nascar and hunting, what about our more esoteric interests and no one to discuss them with?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There’s yet another category of person: those of us who were born and bred in major cities, but who took jobs in small towns, spending our 20s/30s/40s/maybe-50s there. Every time that I fly out to Los Angeles on business, I make sure to spend time on the 405. Stupid? Maybe, but I miss the traffic. I miss the imported/luxury cars idling in the lanes around me, and that if I do come upon a pickup truck, odds are that the driver will have Mexican trumpets playing on the radio.

And as for the museum/art-gallery thing, the crucial point that’s overlooked, is that one could visit those establishments as a tourist, without having to deal with the taxes or other urban travails (if one is so inclined to regard them) of the big city, as a resident. Rather, the point of the museums and art galleries in close proximity, is to be among the sort of people who frequent such places, to have them as neighbors and verbal sparring-partners and so forth. Sure, I like New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art. But how often would I visit it? Twice a year? Three times? That’s a short plane-ride away. Quite likely, had I been living in NYC, I’d become jaded, distracted by hectic-life, and not even go to the museum all that often. I’d actually go more often as a visitor from out of town! But in that out-of-town, would I find neighbors who also like the Metropolitan, who can carry a conversation about various aspects of art, its provenance and history and so forth? Or, would these neighbors instead be experts at bowling and fishing?
The point of my post was not to pass judgment but to say that people value/need different things and unless those things are important to them, they might not even think to mention those things to a new location seeker. I have no children/grandchildren. When telling someone how great a place is, it would never even dawn on me to address kid activities positively or negatively.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
^^^Very true. Upthread the lowest-cost counties. AL, MS, AR. That would take some adjustment for a liberal-thinker. If it's all Nascar and hunting, what about our more esoteric interests and no one to discuss them with?
And this is the issue with any ranking of places to live

We all have different ideas of what is important.

I'm not into the NASCAR/hunting scene myself and wouldn't really consider it when rating a place. I would rate someplace higher that had a lot of literary activities and a good music scene though.

Even the rankings based on climate are controversial since we all have a different idea on what a "good" climate is. I don't find Los Angeles to be a good climate; a good climate to me is one with a long cold winter with loads of snow, cloudy, rainy and a relatively long fall Others of course might disagree with that.

I took issue with some of the rankings on this list but can see how some of the top-rated states got there. I don't worry about it since I am going to live where I am since I like it If I ever win the lottery I'm buying land in Maine and I still have plans (long term) to retire in Maine or Vermont.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:36 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
[quote=mortgageboss;51180404]To each his own, I say. I read the best of with a grain of distrust as many times they rank thing like percentage of graduate degree holders and diversity.

Education for educations sake is a waste of most people's money, especially if we tell our young people to take on massive student loan debt.

Diversity is perversity in my opinion. When you come to America, its a melting pot not a salad bowl. Learn our history, speak English in public, get a job, support your children, and become a citizen. For all others, go back home. It will be the death of the USA in my opinion if unchecked, illegal immigration is allowed to continue.[/quote]

It's been declining for years. For the past several years (starting with Obama's increase in deportations but also the improving economy and burgeoning middle class in Mexico), more people have been going back home than coming here, despite the fear-mongering manipulation we hear from some pols.

Many would love the opportunity to become citizens. Not easy and not cheap.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:39 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
And this is the issue with any ranking of places to live

We all have different ideas of what is important.

I'm not into the NASCAR/hunting scene myself and wouldn't really consider it when rating a place. I would rate someplace higher that had a lot of literary activities and a good music scene though.

Even the rankings based on climate are controversial since we all have a different idea on what a "good" climate is. I don't find Los Angeles to be a good climate; a good climate to me is one with a long cold winter with loads of snow, cloudy, rainy and a relatively long fall Others of course might disagree with that.

I took issue with some of the rankings on this list but can see how some of the top-rated states got there. I don't worry about it since I am going to live where I am since I like it If I ever win the lottery I'm buying land in Maine and I still have plans (long term) to retire in Maine or Vermont.
Can we at least agree there is no one method of producing such a list that all people will agree with the results of? There is really no way for them to win, I think.

Even using counties doesn't help that much. Camden County in NJ has beautiful and wealthy Haddonfield and Tavistock, but also Camden, the poorest city in the country at least in some rankings I've read in the past.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I hope that snarky comment wasn't directed towards me.

I look at those lists for their comedic content. Minnesota, North Dakota and even South Dakota derive their names from the Indian word "Ota" meaning "the longest, coldest winter you've ever seen"

These "Best Lists" would be better if they were focused at the County Level, rather than the State-side level. But that would take too much work on the Author's part, and probably not worth the click-bait.
Are you aware that some people actually prefer four season and like cold weather? I am one.

After college, I lived in the South for a year. I found the heat oppressive. I missed snow. Nothing like a "White Christmas".

These high quality of life states, are just the ones I'd expect - EDUCATION is IMPORTANT.

Low teenage pregnancy rates, which I think is a fairly good indication of how people prioritize.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I make sure to spend time on the 405. Stupid? Maybe, but I miss the traffic. I miss the imported/luxury cars idling in the lanes around me, and that if I do come upon a pickup truck, odds are that the driver will have Mexican trumpets playing on the radio.
No....Ohio Peasant, surely I respect your writing, but this....this is just not ok. 405 is a gateway drug....soon you'll be doing straight up 101 until you just can't drive anymore. Please seek help from a profession. They have trains in LA now. Trains!!! They will help you.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:24 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
While I understand this premise, how do we explain that Jersey is # 2 in Education but number 49 in Quality of Life and Financial Stability??? Doesn't add up.
Because this here Quality of Life....I dunno...it fell of the back of a truck. That's what you saw, right? Get smart kid...the correct answer is you didn't see a thing. Now just fughetaboutit already.

Lots of wise guys...you know?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Good point.

It might be difficult to find some intellectual stimulation. As conservative as I am, I'm really not into hanging out at the bowling alley with Billy Jo Green-teeth.

You'd think by this time someone would have designed a database that allows one to select parameters like Cost-of-Living, taxes, culture, sports and activities, then give you a list of counties that match your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement