Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

I love the snow and moved to Colorado for it. Sadly it hasn't snowed much at all where I live now. It could snow 4 feet over night and I would be out with the dogs playing in it. I own a Jeep so if needed, I could go anywhere in anything. The more snow and cold, the more I like it. I am not looking forward to these 100 degree plus dusty hot wind summer days here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
I live in Wisconsin where we just got 17 inches of snow. In April we have more snow on the ground then we did in January. I am not retired but my job allows me to work out of the house when the weather is bad.
I hate snow but we will never leave WI. I love WI in the spring and summer and we like our country life. When we retire in the next few years we will probably spend a month or so in the warmer weather. Maybe leave in January and come back in March.
If you don't have to go out snow is beautiful but driving stinks.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I always say, "what is the big deal with snow?"

My thoughts are opposite of the op though. My thought is why would anyone want to live in a cold area where the trees die every year. Give me a warm area with lots of sand and sun, and palm trees that stay green all year.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 AM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Nothing I like better than a nice big woodstove cooking in the living room and a shed full of split spruce and birch out back. I have osteoarthritis and a titanium hip already so there are times when I get a bit paranoid about ice. There is a pretty impressive assortment of shoe cleats and snow boots in the front hall closet, buckets of beach sand by each door, a Subaru in the garage, a property that doesn't require maintenance in winter, the local pickup-with-a-plow-guy can clear the drive in less than 10 minutes, and the main arterial road to town is a school bus route so it's plowed and sanded long before the dog and I roll out of bed. Life's great, but I could still use more snow even now
Here, here! I so agree with you! Nothing better than frigid weather and SNOW to keep away the bugs, weeds and mud.

I just sang this song to my son last night when we were under a tornado watch and have had several inches of torrential downpours this week:

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the cold is so delightful. And if you can't stand to mow, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have never liked snow.

I live in Tennessee. We typically don't get all that much snow, but if we get more than a couple of inches, the town basically shuts down. People run on the grocery stores. If the power goes out, it can be out for quite some time. You can lose the contents of your fridge/freezer. If you're in a rural area, good luck with getting your roads plowed.

I've never seen things go to pieces on a 90 degree day like they do with three inches of snow.
If there is snow outside, you can put the contents of your freezer and fridge outside, or in an unheated garage.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
People are afraid of dangerous falls on ice and snow. They happen.
No one wants to shovel. I'd hire people.
So live in an HOA where someone removes the snow for you (or hire someone). What's the difference between that and hiring someone to mow your grass all summer in a warmer climate?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:28 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I have enjoyed both climates. I lived for awhile in St. Paul, MN and X-country skied every day; had an ice-sailer for the frozen lake; walked everywhere. I did not enjoy riding my horse in the snow due to his slipping on the ice---much bigger deal than if I slipped (had a horse do that once on slick asphalt and he fell on me, breaking my ankle). But I always hated driving in snow---especially on remote I-70.

But as so often happens, aging changes a lot of things. If I face-plant in the beach sand, no biggie. But on ice, probably crack my artificial hip. I feel much safer here on the coast.

OP in Cebu----I have a friend here from Cebu and in 85 degrees she's wearing long pants and a shawl, LOL. She even gets cold here where it's never below 80---

Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So live in an HOA where someone removes the snow for you (or hire someone). What's the difference between that and hiring someone to mow your grass all summer in a warmer climate?
I can sit on my porch in my shorts and flip flops and watch the guy mow my lawn, glass of wine in hand.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:46 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
We both HATE snow and cold. It was apparently an accident of birth we were both born in Wisconsin. Thank the Lord we're getting out of here soon. We bought a house in SW Florida and are leaving after Christmas. As Ellie said, summer is great in Wisconsin. I think it was on a Wednesday last year.
What's the big deal? Let's see....heating bills. Snow plow bills. Hazardous road conditions. Numb fingers and toes. Bulky clothes. Snow boots.
If we retired in Wisconsin, we'd sit in the house day and night! There's NOTHING to do! We love to boat, drive around in the convertible, go hear music, go barefoot, wear shorts and t-shirts....can't do any of those things in the snow.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I like winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlqwQJhVw3w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement