Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Someone like a self-employed attorney, accountant, a professor, physician, etc., can generally keep working. A carpenter is probably not going to be working at 70. Your health, your field, and the general economy in your area are going to be the biggest determinants of that.
Many times if someone wants to work they can use their skills and do something else .

If i was still working in the hvac business but couldn't i would sell equipment orcwork for a wholesaler instead or I could teach , or work as a supervisor in a plant ,etc etc.

For to many it is just black and white and they don' t look at similar areas.. We have a few ex electricians working for the company who sell electrical supplies now. If someone has marketable skills they can usually find work if they really wanted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:26 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Someone like a self-employed attorney, accountant, a professor, physician, etc., can generally keep working. A carpenter is probably not going to be working at 70. Your health, your field, and the general economy in your area are going to be the biggest determinants of that.
There are a lot of factors in play, but age is certainly one of them in most fields. I know someone who was an accountant who quit his job at age 60 because he couldn't stand his manager. He was never able to get another full-time job after that.

Non-physical jobs can wear a person out too. High stress jobs that require very long hours of no activity and little sleep are not good for the body. I heard a piece on NPR about this last weekend. There was an interview of a doctor who had examined some Silicon Valley workers in their 30s who he claimed had the body of a 50-year-old.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,802,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
There are a lot of factors in play, but age is certainly one of them in most fields. I know someone who was an accountant who quit his job at age 60 because he couldn't stand his manager. He was never able to get another full-time job after that.

Non-physical jobs can wear a person out too. High stress jobs that require very long hours of no activity and little sleep are not good for the body. I heard a piece on NPR about this last weekend. There was an interview of a doctor who had examined some Silicon Valley workers in their 30s who he claimed had the body of a 50-year-old.
Feeling trapped and/or sick of your job/career can make you literally sick. There is the option of trying to find other work you are qualified for, but often the reason for feeling trapped is financial; leaving the job/career is likely to make you accept a pretty big cut in pay.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM

34,969 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
And that is exactly the thing that has had me worrying lately.......
If it is any relief, I know someone in their late 50's that got laid off from their job of 22 years and within a month had 12 interviews and 2 job offers, both for more money than they were making at their old job. They did not know how well respected they were in their field or valuable. Their new job is a LOT less stressful than their old job so the are a lot happier. They said they did not know how unhappy they were until they changed jobs and wished they had done it several years earlier before their old job got so bad (it wasn't that bad until the company got sold and new bottom line driven management took over). Their plan now is to work full time for several more years and then cut back to a couple days a week. Their new employer is very happy to accommodate that. Doubt their old employer would have been. Likely one of the best things to happen to their career. Jay

Old 04-19-2018, 02:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

If it is any relief, I know someone in their late 50's that got laid off from their job of 22 years and within a month had 12 interviews and 2 job offers, both for more money than they were making at their old job. They did not know how well respected they were in their field or valuable. Their new job is a LOT less stressful than their old job so the are a lot happier. They said they did not know how unhappy they were until they changed jobs and wished they had done it several years earlier before their old job got so bad (it wasn't that bad until the company got sold and new bottom line driven management took over). Their plan now is to work full time for several more years and then cut back to a couple days a week. Their new employer is very happy to accommodate that. Doubt their old employer would have been. Likely one of the best things to happen to their career. Jay
I landed three professional level jobs at age 57 and after. And had additional professional level offers in addition to the three I accepted. It can be done. One needs to be willing to move though.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 10,438,365 times
Quote:
Your friend was very lucky, this is very very rare and can't be counted on for others.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 PM

24,562 posts, read 18,305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I landed three professional level jobs at age 57 and after. And had additional professional level offers in addition to the three I accepted. It can be done. One needs to be willing to move though.
The "One needs to be willing to move" part is the challenge. I've been telecommuting since age 50. I turn 60 next month. I'm between things as of a couple of weeks ago. I could land a full time job quickly if I were willing to move. Finding a telecommuting job takes a lot longer. I'm not sure if I'm unemployed, semi-retired, or retired. My retirement math works a heck of a lot better if I work another 5 years.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I agree, but by that age, a lot of people are so "dug in" with a home, children possibly still at home, possibly aging parents, and simple inertia, that they often will not or cannot move.

In my aunt's case, she's the primary caregiver for my grandmother, who is 82. My grandmother lives with my aunt. My grandmother isn't going anywhere. My aunt isn't either, and I doubt she will even after my grandmother passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

To be frank, a person needs some level of physical activity in their job, or at least in their work day. If it's pretty, I get out and walk at least a mile and a half on my lunch hour about half the week. I try to go to the gym at least twice a week. If I don't keep my activity level up, I definitely feel stiff and such. If you have a sedentary job like I do and do not make it a point to exercise, you will fall apart fairly young.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
This rarely happens. I live in Tennessee. The economy in my local area is pitiful compared to anywhere in Connecticut. If people are put out in their late 50s, they're often going into something lower paying and worse than what they had.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:47 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
As a drummer i always wanted to live in nashville land of my people .but i knew better than to count on making a real living there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement