Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:19 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Good idea and value to visitors. (I visit there frequently).

If I am successful in my quest you may see me at the Tripp Sawmill in Greenfield Village in the 2020 season or later. My plan is to continue working for the utility company until around June of 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
This is the retirement forum so I'm guessing most of you know about atlases and may even own one.

#1 hint is unless you are new to this forum you know SC lives in NE TN so it is reasonable to assume the boss will start in a nearby portion of Virginia.

Looking at the atlas you will see 3 rivers that flow from SW VA into the TN valley and on to the Ohio river by way of the Tennessee. Downhill all the way! Past Cherokee dam all the dams will have locks and during times of power generation the dams release water for a pretty good current.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:05 AM

35 posts, read 22,061 times
I'm about 3.5 years out from retirement, long time reader first time poster. Here are some of my goals:

* attend a one month yoga teacher training retreat in Baja California and become certified to teach yoga. (At 62 when this happens if all goes according to plan I will undoubtedly be the oldest person there)
* then volunteer as a yoga teacher for jails and treatment centers through a program in my city
*spend a month in Buenos Aires intensively studying Spanish (which I used to speak fairly well)
*travel throughout South and Central America
*do a one to two month overland trip across sub-Saharan Africa
*do a six week trip through SE Asia including a one week yoga retreat in Bali
*gardening
*so a lengthy hiking/trekking/walking trip (not sure of destination yet -- maybe Machu Picchu, maybe the Camino in Spain, maybe in Japan)

Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
My dream in retirement is to constantly travel the world staying anywhere from a month to six months in each country, chasing good weather, seeing the occasional tourist site, and eating everything local I can find to eat.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:45 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I want to visit buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Have seen a number of them already, but there are many more that I haven't, and most are worth a second visit anyway.
I am a FLW enthusiast as well. Grew up in Madison, WI his birthplace.

Have seen Taliesen East and West and a number of building in and around Madison and Chicago.

LOVE FLW.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Nothing unusual really, but try to learn something new, do a bit of travelling, visit as many art museums as I can, eat and sample local cuisine, live like the locals for a week or two.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:01 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Newly retired here with a healing fractured ankle.

Prior to this I was determined I would DO NOTHING the first year. That looks to be the case except that we just bought a house in another state and need to sell our current home. Husband is pushing me to move - fast - and my ankle just doesn't want to move fast - yet.

I want to learn Spanish. I want to read more. I want to see family and friends more (living away from too many of them for too many years). I want to enjoy life without being PUSHED. I want to slow down and smell the roses. I want to foster or rescue dogs.... I want music back in my life.

Simple pleasures.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Many kit planes qualify as Light Sport Aircraft, meaning that if he once had a medical certification, he doesn't need to pass the medical again to fly an LSA.

That may be part of his motivation. And of course some people just want to build a plane.
I don't know any plane builders who built their planes because of medical certification concerns. Quite a few builders whom I know seem to enjoy building more than flying. We are the opposite so we opted for an easy way to build a plane with the Glasair 's TWTT (Two weeks to taxi) program

TWTT - Glasair Aviation

The appeal of owning a LSA to avoid having to pass the FAA's medical diminished significantly when the new medical rule called 'Basic Med' took effect on May 1, 2017. Instead of getting a 3rd class Medical Certificate, a pilot can take an online education course and get an exam by a state-licensed physician (i.e. you can just get your family doctor to fill a form affirming your fitness to fly). Flying with a BasicMed has very limited restrictions unlike flying with a Sport Pilot licence (which is limited to LSA).

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...-to-fly-pilots

Quote:
What Aircraft Can I Fly?
Pilots flying under BasicMed are allowed to operate “covered aircraft” defined as having a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds and are not authorized to carry more than six occupants (up to five passengers plus the pilot in command), at altitudes up to 18,000 feet MSL and at an indicated airspeed of up to 250 knots. Pilots, if appropriately rated, can fly VFR or IFR in “covered aircraft.”
Back to the OP's of "Unusual Post Retirement Plans/Goals/Dreams", I have many plans and goals but none of which that I would considered 'unusual'. Some people considered some of things we did in the past being very unusual. Things like diving with schools of sharks in the Galapagos Islands, taking bush pilot training then embarking on a self-fly safari in South Africa, taking a flying safari in New Zealand, building a plane, flying 5,500 nm from NY to various Caribbean Islands etc. To us, they were just the things we found that we could do. If anything, I am a lot more uncertain about how to carry out a simple plan like raising a few goats than how to embark on another flying safari!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I don't know any plane builders who built their planes because of medical certification concerns. Quite a few builders whom I know seem to enjoy building more than flying. We are the opposite so we opted for an easy way to build a plane with the Glasair 's TWTT (Two weeks to taxi) program

TWTT - Glasair Aviation

The appeal of owning a LSA to avoid having to pass the FAA's medical diminished significantly when the new medical rule called 'Basic Med' took effect on May 1, 2017. Instead of getting a 3rd class Medical Certificate, a pilot can take an online education course and get an exam by a state-licensed physician (i.e. you can just get your family doctor to fill a form affirming your fitness to fly). Flying with a BasicMed has very limited restrictions unlike flying with a Sport Pilot licence (which is limited to LSA).

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...-to-fly-pilots

Back to the OP's of "Unusual Post Retirement Plans/Goals/Dreams", I have many plans and goals but none of which that I would considered 'unusual'. Some people considered some of things we did in the past being very unusual. Things like diving with schools of sharks in the Galapagos Islands, taking bush pilot training then embarking on a self-fly safari in South Africa, taking a flying safari in New Zealand, building a plane, flying 5,500 nm from NY to various Caribbean Islands etc. To us, they were just the things we found that we could do. If anything, I am a lot more uncertain about how to carry out a simple plan like raising a few goats than how to embark on another flying safari!
Jeez, is this the reason why I am reading so many cases about private pilots in twin engine Cessnas buying the farm over the past year or so? Seems like never a week goes by without this kind of story, a private pilot buying it in Long Island Sound! - Or is it my imagination?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 AM

290 posts, read 250,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do people put off the things they want to do until retirement? Most people get vacation days, a bonus, tax refund, etc. There is time and money earlier in life.

Sometimes the time isn't available during your working years.

In 1975, my best friend and bought an old twin engine boat. Our plan was to fix it up (stop laughing -- we were kids) during our last year of high school. We planned to spend the following summer traveling the Mississippi and part of the gulf coast. Those who have had large twin engine boats know the folly of this endeavor and are still chuckling, we had neither the skills nor the money to restore such a large craft and our total journey lasted about 3 miles.

So, that's my unusual plan for retirement now 43 years later. I bought the boat 2 years ago and am outfitting it for my trip, although the first plans are just gulf coast / ICW. I'm doing it more sensibly now. This one's 30 feet with one engine, a generator, central heat/air, a small galley and a bath/shower. I'm finishing the final tasks this year in preparation for starting next fall. Wish me luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement