Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 02:24 PM

413 posts, read 701,697 times

Advertisements

Another reason I like Prime is that I'm a British TV addict so I subscribe to Britbox and Acorn as channels on my Prime video. You can subscribe to them directly on some TV's or devices, but getting them through Prime makes it easy because it's directly available on my TiVo and all my TVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post

Another reason I like Prime is that I'm a British TV addict so I subscribe to Britbox and Acorn as channels on my Prime video. You can subscribe to them directly on some TV's or devices, but getting them through Prime makes it easy because it's directly available on my TiVo and all my TVs.
I watch films using Prime Video on my laptop computer. What device to you use to watch Prime Video offerings (British TV series) on your TV? - a fire stick? Apple TV? or ?

Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 PM

413 posts, read 701,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I watch films using Prime Video on my laptop computer. What device to you use to watch Prime Video offerings (British TV series) on your TV? - a fire stick? Apple TV? or ?
I have a TiVo for my living room TV. I have a rooftop antenna and the TiVo gives me the programming info and recording capability I wanted. Amazon video is one of the apps available when you hit the TiVo button on the remote. My bedrooms all have smart TVs that connect to my WI-FI (a Samsung, a Vizio, and a TLC Roku TV) and each have Amazon and Netflix buttons on the remotes.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:47 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
I could see an extra $10/month or $10/annually, but $20? I think that is stretching it.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:00 PM

419 posts, read 387,940 times
Quote:

I'm a British TV addict too and stream Prime and Acorn to our TVs via 2 Roku units (one in living room, one in my den.) We've been Acorn members for years, a bargain at $49.99 yearly. Prime doesn't have as much of a Brit selection although I did just finish a re-watch of the "Inspector Lewis" series. We've been thinking about ordering Britbox too (gotta see the latest "Red Dwarf"), and I can see Britbox replacing Prime in our budget now.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:52 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
Quote:
I mentioned previously I have the Fire TV box and a Kindle Fire HD tablet. I love Brit TV too and I subscribe to Curiosity Stream through Amazon. Their big draw is loads of documentaries, many of the British variety. I'll have to check out the 2 services you mentioned.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
So, for those of you talking about separate subscriptions to watch what you want to watch on Amazon, how much do you spend on extra subscriptions, in addition to your Prime membership? So, what do you actually spend on Amazon Prime plus extra subscriptions?

See, this is the thing. The joke is on those who believe the advertising that a Prime membership will include everything you would want. When in reality, you pay extra for everything, even old movies.

For new movies on DVD I want to see, I go to a Redbox, where it's $1.35/night, and I often get free movie codes from Redbox. I actually rented the entire first season of HBO's Big Little Lies for only $1.35/night. I think I kept it for maybe 3 nights to binge watch the whole first season.

I also get a lot of new releases for free at my local library. And there are plenty of free old movies at my library, and the HooplaDigital.com website that my library pays for. I can check out 6 digital items a month - for free with my library card number online. Plus, you can watch a ton of old movies for free on YouTube.

Amazon is not cheap, not the cheapest option for sure. If people just admitted that they know it's not the cheapest way to have what they want, that would be fine. Just admit that you'd rather pay more to have everything in one account. But, I think that many Amazon users don't really add up all of the charges they actually pay for. They're in some kind of Amazon denial. Hey, my Prime is only $10/month! But, then they're buying movies and this extra subscription and that extra subscription.

The Prime membership is just the primer to the rest of the money in your wallet. To me, it's like buying Starbucks when you could have brewed your own coffee at home, and then wondered why you can't save $100/month.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
See, this is the thing. The joke is on those who believe the advertising that a Prime membership will include everything you would want. When in reality, you pay extra for everything, even old movies.
The joke is on those who think Prime just means "free shipping", compares costs to buying local while not considering the cost of time and gas, and who think everyone is weak-minded and pays extra for everything.

I watch the included movies and TV, I read the included Kindle books, and I buy only what I need. 20 years ago Amazon was nobody. They didn't get to where they are by offering lesser value at higher prices than competitiors. You're right they are often not the lowest price but they are a reliable source of reasonably low prices.

I think it's similar to the "Southwest effect". They may not be the lowest price because they have forced competitors to lower their prices to compete. And it's true that I might be able to shop from one place to the next and find better prices but there's a cost in that, too. I sometimes buy from Jet and a few other places I know but try to avoid neverheardofthembefore .com sites.

And I put a value on knowing I can return stuff with no hassle. I don't need to call and wait on hold to ask for an RMA. Just a few clicks and they provide the shipping label, prepaid if it's due to the product or service and not just I changed my mind. Funny story, I filed for a return of a couple of small items a few years ago, boxed them up and applied label, put it in the trunk, and forgot about it. Came across it a year and a half later and dropped it off at ups store. I expected a sorry beyond refund period email but figured better they have it than trash it. A week later I got email that my account had been credited the full refund.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
For me, Prime is worth the cost. I don't go on Amazon and "shop" for fun. I buy something if I need it and it gives me a large choice of brands to choose from with reviews, much more so than any local vendor including Walmart. Just as an example, when I adopted a cat a bought a very nice well built cat tree house for her at 1/3 the price it would have cost at Petsmart without paying local taxes or shipping.
I also limit my prime viewing of movies to what is available without buying or renting anything extra. With that alone I don't have time to watch everything I'd like to.
So it really depends on the person. It's worth it for me and I don't think there's a joke being played on me.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:29 PM

705 posts, read 562,340 times
We'll keep paying even though they went up, for us it's worth the cost. We do most of our shopping on Amazon and get free shipping plus we watch some of the shows and movies on Prime Video. We also have an amazon card so we earn money back. I do know the prices of things and I actually save on the things we order and it saves us money on gas. At one time we bought quite a few DVD's from amazon very cheap (used but like new). Since we now have unlimited internet with no data cap we stream TV and no longer buy movies and shows but I honestly can't complain.

Last edited by Over the hill gang; 04-28-2018 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement