Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 05:44 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times

Advertisements

Seasons 52, a restaurant chain owned by Darden (which also owns Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, and other brands), was charged by the EEOC with Age Discrimination and agreed to pay $3 million to settle the case. Among other comments, older applicants were told that they were too experienced or that the restaurant was not looking for old white guys.

FL restaurants settle age bias lawsuit for almost $3 million | Miami Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
It is interesting that age discrimination is more widely (or easily) acknowledged than that relating to gender or ethnicity. I mean, I know it exists...I know they ALL exist - "old" people aren't singled out for discrimination. And I understand that the age thing is especially relevant for this forum but let's not get too righteous about it.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:06 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It is interesting that age discrimination is more widely (or easily) acknowledged than that relating to gender or ethnicity. I mean, I know it exists...I know they ALL exist - "old" people aren't singled out for discrimination. And I understand that the age thing is especially relevant for this forum but let's not get too righteous about it.
It is still a free country, I hope, and I think the madman can get righteous about anything he wants.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,982 times
I love Seasons 52 and wish Darden would open one here. I've always liked both the food and the atmosphere and I've appreciated that they aren't especially child-friendly. I like that the restaurant has a vibe of hip and trendy. It works for this restaurant. I've always seen the bar area packed with singles out hunting. Darden has lots of restaurants and all of them have different vibes and are intended to appeal to different people.

Olive garden is a family-friendly place and it has plenty of waiters and hosts in all age ranges, and it caters to children. Red Lobster (when Darden owned it) catered to families and had staff of all ages. Bahama Breeze always targeted the college-age crowd, and Longhorn went from being a place you threw peanut shells on the floor to a more refined restaurant and also hires people of all ages.

Overall, I think Darden does a great job meeting the experiences that their diners want, and to focus on only one chain out of all of their many holdings is being overly sensitive. As a company, I haven't found them to be discriminatory.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:37 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Meh, don't eat there. Anyway if a place has good food I could care less about their "social outrage" or whatever today's trend is.

I think if you own a business you can hire whomever you like.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:39 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Meh, don't eat there. Anyway if a place has good food I could care less about their "social outrage" or whatever today's trend is.

^ this

I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment. So long as other businesses can refuse to hire other types too.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:48 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
It gets tougher these days with electronic applications That won't proceed until you enter a date for high school or college graduation.

That alone can single you as "too old".

We were in olive garden not to long ago. I don't think 90% of the staff was old enough to buy the wines they were serving! I also noted the same staff was mostly all male. But I know restaurants who would not have a male waitstaffer either.

I keep getting turned down for jobs I am qualified for, and I think it is age discrimination. I often don't even get to the interview stage, because of the year of graduations on my electronic applications and electronic resume. Lying about my graduation year is not an option for me, i dont play that way.

There was a report about a Baltimore lady, who had 3 masters and a doctorate degree, but was in her 50s, and was totally disregarded based on her degrees age.

Also there is a national company here in N.Y. that is well known to pay the fines rather than hire 2 kinds of people : those with a criminal record no matter how old the conviction is, and for not hiring those over 35. The fines aren't stiff enough apparently to deter actions like this.

Several people here in their 50s have complained of not getting to the interview stage or past the actual in person interview to the hiring stage in their 50s. If you qualify, and don't get hired and a young person does, it's clearly age discrimination.

Saying it doesn't SEEM to exist, doesn't make it so.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:51 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post

No, you can't.

If you had been turned down for a job not because of who you are and your past and your training and skills, but because of WHAT you are, you would be singing a different tune.

If you were passed up for a promotion because you thought they wanted to promote a black person instead, even though you are more qualified, you'd be singing a different tune and not saying "They can promote anyone they want."

The answer is no, they can't. Not if it is to discriminate against people because of what they are, as covered in the national laws.

We in this country settled this issue years ago. Just like states and the nation settled other work related issues, like overtime laws, minimum wage for certain businesses, the hours a child can work, etc.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Olive Garden is crap. They serve glorified TV dinners. No one with any self respect would want to work there. If this "Seasons" place is owned by the same company, chances are they are no better.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No, you can't.

If you had been turned down for a job not because of who you are and your past and your training and skills, but because of WHAT you are, you would be singing a different tune.

If you were passed up for a promotion because you thought they wanted to promote a black person instead, even though you are more qualified, you'd be singing a different tune and not saying "They can promote anyone they want."

The answer is no, they can't. Not if it is to discriminate against people because of what they are, as covered in the national laws.

We in this country settled this issue years ago. Just like states and the nation settled other work related issues, like overtime laws, minimum wage for certain businesses, the hours a child can work, etc.

Unless you can prove it was age, sex or race related, which no one ever can, there is nothing anyone can do. I don't have to hire anyone I don't want to. It's virtually impossible to prove.

No employer is going to say in an interview the reason they aren't hiring you. Useless laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement