Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
It gets tougher these days with electronic applications That won't proceed until you enter a date for high school or college graduation.

That alone can single you as "too old".
You should contact your State and federal EEOC offices.

While federal law does not bar an employer for asking an applicant's age, some State laws do.

Even so, both State and federal courts have already ruled that some questions on an application demonstrate the intent to discriminate, and one such action involved requiring applicants to state their year of high school graduation.

Federal labor laws under Title 29 US Code are often written in a manner that allows them to be interpreted rather liberally, instead of being constructed in a fashion where the interpretation is very narrow.

As a result, any question on a job application or during a job interview that has the potential to deter a protected class, which includes people age 40 and over, may be interpreted as the intent to discriminate.

It will only take a few minutes of your time, and EEOC will examine the matter in detail to determine if an employer or group of employers who use that web-site or the services offered by the owner are attempting to deter applicants of protected classes.

In my opinion, federal laws should be changed to bar any questions related to age, unless it is necessary to comply with State or federal laws. Many States bar minors from operating certain classes of equipment, so Wendy's restaurant chain, for example, would have a need to know an applicant's age, because in many State you have to be 18 or older to operate the machine that makes their hamburger patties every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 01:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Seasons 52, a restaurant chain owned by Darden (which also owns Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, and other brands), was charged by the EEOC with Age Discrimination and agreed to pay $3 million to settle the case. Among other comments, older applicants were told that they were too experienced or that the restaurant was not looking for old white guys.

FL restaurants settle age bias lawsuit for almost $3 million | Miami Herald
The line just got longer

Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ this

I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment. So long as other businesses can refuse to hire other types too.
I'm an old white guy and I wouldn't want the job because I KNOW I couldn't physically do it.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:07 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I'm an old white guy and I wouldn't want the job because I KNOW I couldn't physically do it.
Theres,a big difference between NOT applying because you know your age won't let you, and having the experience and being able to do the job, APPLYING and getting turned down due simply to a number.

I'm also handicapped and use a cane, but I'm no weakling. I applied for a job with a certain grocery store as a cashier, and the preliminary interviewer told me "all our cashier s also do stocking merchandise." I explained i was very well aware of that, and could still do the job, part as an closed hours stocker and open hours rotating cashier. That and my gray beard probably is why I didn't get a call back for actual interview. I don't think my application was,even looked at after he took it. I even told him I'd be willing to work at,any of the three stores in our area, though one is some distance away. And I have previous, though not exactly recent experience, recent I'd in other fields.

Probably got discriminated for two items there: age and handicapped status, even though that is illegal too.

When you use a national job site like indeed.com or others, and the electronic application or resume doesn't let you proceed beyond without putting in a date for any graduation, it's hard to cover up your real age.

The unfortunate thing is that in the USA the older generation is no longer respected or revered by the young.

Perhaps that is because the millenials think the boomers "screwed up things" them. But you might notice the boomers,didnt blame parents or grandparents for starting 2 major world wars!!?
Don't know exactly what the millenials think we boomers did to them, their grandparents went through a huge major depression that lasted longer than any recent one as well. But no, we've screwed things up for the younger generations. So blame us and don't hire us. And then see if we remember you in our wills!!!???

Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Like many other urban myths I see the contradictions every day on every street corner, park and library
That
Old white Guys can always get work

Old 05-06-2018, 06:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Wink Employers love hiring SWM while young because they can fire at will w/o lawsuit risk.

Straight white guys under age 40 are the only group which employers can get away with discriminating against these days. When somebody in that group tries to complain to the EEOC, they'll laugh in your face (off the record, of course).

That's good and bad -- employers like to hire straight white guys fresh out of college, but only because they can fire them at will without any risk of being sued. But for that to work, they've got to kick them loose while still young and EEOC-ineligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
When you use a national job site like indeed.com or others, and the electronic application or resume doesn't let you proceed beyond without putting in a date for any graduation, it's hard to cover up your real age.
I'm tempted to invest in hair dye and an MBA, so I can cover up my real age. I've already stripped down my resume, removed everything prior to 1998.

If you have the right experience, skills and connections, the one line of business where old white guys are highly desirable is consulting -- businesses that'd never hire you as an employee will gladly pay $$$ to benefit from your experience (without the risk of having you on their heath plan).

Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
A lot of this is the nature of Seasons 52 along wth their typical location. We enjoy the restaurant and will be eating there for Mothers Day. I can see them having a hiring preference but am surprised they put it in writing.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:13 AM

765 posts, read 474,114 times
older applicants???? how old is old? listen, last thing i want to do with my last years on this planet is go back to waitressing, getting stiffed at the tables and my a** pinched in the kitchen...... well, when i was young i got my a** pinched, now i'd be tripping over my kajungas hanging to the floor..... nope. no can do, don't have the patience, the foot arches or that level of desperation.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Most of their stuff (deserts, etc.) are frozen, the pasta comes to them pre-cooked or par boiled, etc.

You aren't missing anything.

This happens to be true of most places these days - which is why it gets harder to go to restaurants. Places which claim to make "fresh" can be found to have their soup delivered in large plastic bags.

Even high priced stuff like Starbucks - most of their deserts are shipped frozen and thawed out.

This is why - when you find a "real place" - stick with it! We have found certain pizza places (we live near the hubs of the best pizza in the USA) where everything is made right in front of us. Same goes with a French Bakery and other such places.

Other than that, we tend to make our own food at home or go to one of a very few fresh eateries (we live near college towns, so some can be found).
Seasons 52 has a great Filet Mignon along with Chilean Bass. Different from Olive Garden

Old 05-07-2018, 06:14 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Just accept the fact that some jobs require young people.

Is that fair? Nope. Life is unfair. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement