Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,261,106 times

Advertisements

I just tried to call my sister-in-law by dialing her number on what turned out to be the TV remote control. I realized my mistake when I went to push "Call," and the button said "Pause."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
That is a good use of the TV remote!

Now you can sit down and write your S-I-L a snail mail note in Cursive

A younger gen friend recently brought me an urgent note written in cursive and asked me to 'translate' it

I'm feeling old...

I never had a TV remote cuz the TV exited the house in 1968, tho it was a 'color version' (uptown!)

I have asked for a few Lawrence Welk and Bonanza DVD's to take to the rest home. Actually one will be enough, I will never remember the episodes anyway.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I just tried to call my sister-in-law by dialing her number on what turned out to be the TV remote control. I realized my mistake when I went to push "Call," and the button said "Pause."
I find if I'm really concentrating on something, nothing, and I mean nothing, will be allowed to interfere. Its like flicking a switch, and all that attention is fixed on this one thing. The others sort of slip away. If there is something to notice I will, but otherwise I pay no attention to it.

And all those remotes we have today... one s bound to be confused. I have a small dresser next to my computer set up. I put the small stuff I use, the pens and paper and notes and such, but also a corner which is JUST for remotes, and a box for each thing's remotes. I can close it too so dogs/cats playing don't knock any of it on the floor and under the couch either.

One drawer has the stories being worked on and the outlines and the characters and the latest notes. If its really important that a scene is not lost, I copy it to a disc too. I've also learned not to use catchy file names which are more spur of the moment, as its really easy to forget what it is and how its realted without reading thru twenty pages.

So, if your working on personal stuff on your computer, if there's too much distraction and you forget where you were, does it make you more frustrated or do you do notes so you can get back to where you were?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I was starting to have these problems, and at the same time I decided I wanted to stop taking statins and BP and other medications and try improving my health with a better diet, because the side effects of the meds were awful. And it turns out that a benefit of going off of the statins, etc., was that my mind came back to me.

I am now eating a starch-based, whole food, plant based diet, and I also avoid oil. I don't eat anything that comes from an animal, or fish, etc. My main reason for doing so, was to improve my cholesterol and blood pressure naturally, so I could go off of statins, mainly, because of the side effects. I had no idea they were also affecting my mind so much. I also have a lot more energy. I just feel so much better and my mind is so much clearer, it's remarkable.

For what it's worth.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
And did the change in diet lower your cholesterol?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:33 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
I do that all the time. But then again, I use an app on my iPhone for the remote....so it works.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
I have a co-worker who talks and talks and talks... He said his wife points the remote at him at home.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Have you ever looked all over for your eyeglasses & you just can't find them in all the likely spots & then you pass a mirror & see that you're wearing them.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
My MIL was complaining about her TV remote not working. I can't figure out how she didn't notice her electric recliner going up and down when she was trying to change channels.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM

47 posts, read 35,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I was starting to have these problems, and at the same time I decided I wanted to stop taking statins and BP and other medications and try improving my health with a better diet, because the side effects of the meds were awful. And it turns out that a benefit of going off of the statins, etc., was that my mind came back to me.

I am now eating a starch-based, whole food, plant based diet, and I also avoid oil. I don't eat anything that comes from an animal, or fish, etc. My main reason for doing so, was to improve my cholesterol and blood pressure naturally, so I could go off of statins, mainly, because of the side effects. I had no idea they were also affecting my mind so much. I also have a lot more energy. I just feel so much better and my mind is so much clearer, it's remarkable.

For what it's worth.
Changes in cognitive function are a potential side effects of statins. Statins lower CoQ10 and we need CoQ10 for all of our cells to function properly (including brain cells). There may be a connection there.

How is the diet going for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement