Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM

708 posts, read 720,932 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those who have filed for SS. When I was in about 5 years ago they gave me print out of how much I would receive depending on the month I retired from 62 years old to 66. So if I waited like one more month to retire i would get like $15 more per month in SS. Do they do that when you file? I got a report online that tells what I will get 66 my FRA but I don't know what I will get if I retire at 65 and 7 months? Will they break that down for you by month? I hope I am making sense on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Didn't do it for me, but it's easy enough to figure out yourself, if you have the monthly payout for your FRA and the monthly payout for the earlier date you are using in application.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,188 times
There is a calculator in the SSA web site that will let you see your benefit for any date you want to retire.

https://www.ssa.gov/

Old 05-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
There is a calculator in the SSA web site that will let you see your benefit for any date you want to retire.

I am using the Retirement estimator but only gives you option of the year. Either I have to pick 65 or 66.
Cannot pick 65 years 7 months. Unless I am doing something wrong or wrong place..

Old 05-18-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:

'

Thanks I got it figured out. I was brain dead. Just took difference of the estimate at 66 subtracted
the estimate at 65 and divided it by 12 to give me my monthly difference. Took that times 7 to give
me my estimate for 65 7 months.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
'

Thanks I got it figured out. I was brain dead. Just took difference of the estimate at 66 subtracted
the estimate at 65 and divided it by 12 to give me my monthly difference. Took that times 7 to give
me my estimate for 65 7 months.
If you go to the SSA web site, click on the menu box on the top.
Under Benefits, click on Retirement Estimator.
On the right side, click Other Benefit Calculators.
Scroll down and click on Early or Late Retirement Calculator.
Scroll down to enter your birth date & the date you would like to begin receiving benefits.

For example: birth date 11/10/1956.
Start date 8/2020 (31 months before FRA)
FRA 3/2023
Multiply your FRA benefit by 82.78

Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If you go to the SSA web site, click on the menu box on the top.
Under Benefits, click on Retirement Estimator.
On the right side, click Other Benefit Calculators.
Scroll down and click on Early or Late Retirement Calculator.
Scroll down to enter your birth date & the date you would like to begin receiving benefits.

For example: birth date 11/10/1956.
Start date 8/2020 (31 months before FRA)
FRA 3/2023
Multiply your FRA benefit by 82.78
Thank you! I found it and it was exactly what I was looking for to help me decide when to start taking SS!
Great calculator for people about to retire and taking SS different date then their FRA.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i did it on line .couldn't be easier
If you did it online how did you handle the forms the site says you must submit?

We thought we had everything set up correctly. We were NOT told DH would have to apply all over again to change his checks from my benefit to his own at 70. The application he did at the office clearly states that he would change over to his own record at 70. No that does not happen automatically. He had to start all over and apply.

Called SS and they couldn't make an appointment for him for over a month. So he tried to do it online. I think we got it all right, but it says forms must be submitted by such-and-such a date or it would all expire. What forms were they talking about, his birth certificate etc. or were they just referring to the application itself which could be saved and not submitted?

Totally thought today's phone call would result in someone saying sure it's all set up properly, already done. Nope. We had a lady from SS on the line with us as he typed in his information, and she was less than helpful. I hope we get it all straightened out...he has about 6 weeks before hitting 70.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:46 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
you cannot do spousal benefits on line . i did my own on line . then we had to mail in forms for spousal and wait for a phone call. the on line link for spousal; only gets you to a snail mail form you can print. i don't remember what documentation if any we had to send in for spousal.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,093 times
No, DH is applying for his OWN benefit. Previously, he has been getting spousal. He is switching at age 70. We did get a reply from SS that they received the application and would be calling if they needed more information. Other than that we haven't heard from them.

I wonder how many people mess this up, thinking their first application for spousal (we did it at the office) also includes instructions for them to switch to their own at 70. DH's application clearly says that he would be switching to his own at 70 and they sure had his birthdate. Surprising we have to go through this twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement