Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,195,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
DH went to work with his outbreak, too, which involved his scalp and face. Lyrica helped with the pain, but I do not see how you and he did it.
Looking back on it, I don't know how I went to work either! I remember calling in sick a couple of days, and going home early some days. But it was obvious that this was a long term situation. I couldn't possible use 3 weeks of sick time to recover at home. So I just muddled through the best I could. I do remember the most challenging thing about being at work was my work clothes.

I realized I couldn't wear a bra because that hugged the whole left side and was impossible to wear without applying excruciating pressure on the pox. Also the waist band of pants or a skirt. Not doable. So trying to function with those limitations was .... challenging. No bra, unbuttoning my waist band... ha! Not a professional look, but I just hunkered down in my office as much as I could without being noticed. It was stupid. I should have used all my sick time to be at home and have at least a tiny bit more of comfort.

At home I could wear either nothing from the waist up, or some very, very thin, loose cotton shift type thingy. Not so lovely, but it was a relief not to have anything touching my skin from the waist up. Now I regret not taking way more time off, but it was a precarious time at work and I simply had to be there as much as I could muster. If I ever had this experience again, you better believe I'd be taking WAY more time off, bugger precarious and bugger work. Damned Work ethic... hard to break.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
$170????????? I'll take my chances.
Having shingles is very painful...if you get it you'll realize the $170 would have been worth every penny.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
After reading this entire thread I might get the shot this weekend. I'm calling my insurance tomorrow to see if it is covered.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 PM

13,076 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Looking back on it, I don't know how I went to work either! I remember calling in sick a couple of days, and going home early some days. But it was obvious that this was a long term situation. I couldn't possible use 3 weeks of sick time to recover at home. So I just muddled through the best I could. I do remember the most challenging thing about being at work was my work clothes.

I realized I couldn't wear a bra because that hugged the whole left side and was impossible to wear without applying excruciating pressure on the pox. Also the waist band of pants or a skirt. Not doable. So trying to function with those limitations was .... challenging. No bra, unbuttoning my waist band... ha! Not a professional look, but I just hunkered down in my office as much as I could without being noticed. It was stupid. I should have used all my sick time to be at home and have at least a tiny bit more of comfort.

At home I could wear either nothing from the waist up, or some very, very thin, loose cotton shift type thingy. Not so lovely, but it was a relief not to have anything touching my skin from the waist up. Now I regret not taking way more time off, but it was a precarious time at work and I simply had to be there as much as I could muster. If I ever had this experience again, you better believe I'd be taking WAY more time off, bugger precarious and bugger work. Damned Work ethic... hard to break.
I did the opposite technique (male, waist and inner thigh shingles). I wore a ace compression bandage that desensitized the nerves and prevented itching. Nothing else seemed to work including going nude.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:46 PM

13,076 posts, read 7,519,082 times
I went to work because if I stayed home, I had nothing to do but to think about the pain and itch.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:59 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^
Also lower back.
Mine was misdiagnosed by 2 doctors 1st doc thought maybe kidney stones. Then as rash appeared the 2nd doc thought it was hives Only when the blisters appeared did the 3rd doctor make the correct diagnosis.
My first bout was a very early diagnoses by my doctor. The next time, I had a different doctor, who believed me when I told her I had shingles, even without the rash. I never got the rash any of the times I got shingles. Now I keep a bottle of acyclovir in case I get it again.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Maybe so but if I had an extra $170 laying around I would buy groceries.

Right after I read this post I saw a commercial on tv about a lawsuit against a shingles vaccine because it gave people shingles.
I believe the lawsuit is stating that Merck did not inform the public about the possibility of some of the side effects with Zostavas, specifically Rentinal Necrosis. At least one case was confirmed through some sort of zoster gene testing to not be "wild" but in fact from the Zostavax live virus.
The problem here is if companies either don't know/or don't tell what the complications might be Dr's often miss it the connection. It doesn't get reported as a connection possibility. And that just compounds. So of course now cases of retinal necrosis are being looked at to see if there is a connection.

I'm all for people making up their own minds. I just want all the facts to do it without the emotion involved.
Reactions, sometimes severe, do happen.
If someone is autoimmune suppressed, or on certain drugs I would think a talk with your Dr. might be a good idea before waltzing into the nearest Rite Aid.

Its the old, it only becomes real/important when it happens to me sort of thing. Having had a reaction to a vaccine I am a little gun shy. Plus I just got diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, which started with a feeling like my whole head had a major cold sore coming on (very shingly). No one seems to know whether getting a shot like this with so many strong adjuvants will kick off something there.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,565 times
"If someone got an extensive rash after taking the vaccine he was probably immunocompromised, which is a contraindication to the vaccine. If the immunocompromize was already known, the problem was not the vaccine but the person giving it. "

So much misinformation! It could also have been caused by just an allergic reaction to something in the vaccine. Medical training/knowledge acquired by reading internet articles from suspect links, is not a substitute for actual training! Just saying.....

Old 05-25-2018, 07:39 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My first bout was a very early diagnoses by my doctor. The next time, I had a different doctor, who believed me when I told her I had shingles, even without the rash. I never got the rash any of the times I got shingles. Now I keep a bottle of acyclovir in case I get it again.
I never had a rash, just a single large ( one inch dia.) blister and it went away in a few days. My pain felt like someone had grabbed a muscle with pliers and twisted it.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Now I keep a bottle of acyclovir in case I get it again.
I have tried to get this over the counter (in a salve for cold sores) but have been told it's only available by prescription. Did you get yours over the counter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.