Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:16 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times

Advertisements

Wow, Blue Cross Blue Shield just told me it is 100% covered, no out of pocket for the shot. I'm an active employee and not retired yet, I don't know if that's why, but this shot should be free for anyone with medical insurance, I'm not sure why it varies from plan to plan. I can go to any network pharmacy and get it done for free, or my doctor. Now I'm thinking of doing this later today but I have a lot of physical exertion to do this weekend and I'm not sure this is the best time for a shot.

But after seeing these stories I'm scared sh**less about getting shingles!

Old 05-25-2018, 09:46 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I went to work because if I stayed home, I had nothing to do but to think about the pain and itch.
Yep, exactly. Although I guess in some ways, having it on my face and in my eye was easier in the sense of not having to worry about clothing in the shingles area. What the people on the subway were thinking looking at my face was another story!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
I have Silver Script Part D as my drug plan for Medicare. I called their help line and I was quoted $44 co-pay for each injection of Shingrix. They did request my zip code so prices may vary. My drug plan has no deductible.

That looks to me like a co-pay for a Tier 3 drug. If you call your insurance company, hopefully you can get correct payment info.

DH and I are going for the vaccine next week as we have seen people really suffer with shingles. DH only agreed as this is a dead virus unlike the previous vaccine (which wasn't as effective).

Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
"If someone got an extensive rash after taking the vaccine he was probably immunocompromised, which is a contraindication to the vaccine. If the immunocompromize was already known, the problem was not the vaccine but the person giving it. "

So much misinformation! It could also have been caused by just an allergic reaction to something in the vaccine. Medical training/knowledge acquired by reading internet articles from suspect links, is not a substitute for actual training! Just saying.....

Please explain the "misinformation" in my statement.

The rash from shingles is extraordinarily unique. It will not be confused with an allergic reaction.

Immune system dysfunction is a contraindication to the vaccine, as is clearly stated on the Vaccine Information Statement given out with each dose of the vaccine:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...s/shingles.pdf

Here is what happened when an immune suppressed patient was given Zostavax:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2324151/

"A 76-year-old white female with a history of recurrent left axillary breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy was given a Zostavax® injection by her primary care physician. Eight days later, the patient developed a rash. Given the recent administration of live, attenuated varicella zoster virus (VZV), a diagnosis of disseminated cutaneous herpes zoster was made."

Of patients who developed shingles (the usual localized rash, not the all over rash in the case above) after Zostavax, all have had the wild virus in the lesions, not the vaccine virus. From the above link:

"In the 42-day post-vaccination period of the study, 53 total patients developed a non-injection site zoster-like rash. Of these, 17 patients had been treated with Zostavax®, 36 patients had been treated with placebo. Forty-one specimens were obtained for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing; 5 Zostavax® treated patients were found to have wild-type VZV in the lesions; no lesions were found to have the Oka/Merck strain."

I stand by what I said.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,565 times
[quote=suzy_q2010;52000253]

The rash from shingles is extraordinarily unique. It will not be confused with an allergic reaction.

Immune system dysfunction is a contraindication to the vaccine, as is clearly stated on the Vaccine Information Statement given out with each dose of the vaccine:

"A 76-year-old white female with a history of recurrent left axillary breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy was given a Zostavax® injection by her primary care physician. Eight days later, the patient developed a rash. Given the recent administration of live, attenuated varicella zoster virus (VZV), a diagnosis of disseminated cutaneous herpes zoster was made."

Of patients who developed shingles (the usual localized rash, not the all over rash in the case above) after Zostavax, all have had the wild virus in the lesions, not the vaccine virus. From the above link:

"In the 42-day post-vaccination period of the study, 53 total patients developed a non-injection site zoster-like rash. Of these, 17 patients had been treated with Zostavax®, 36 patients had been treated with placebo. Forty-one specimens were obtained for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing; 5 Zostavax® treated patients were found to have wild-type VZV in the lesions; no lesions were found to have the Oka/Merck strain."
Your response emphasizes my point. I do not think you have the necessary training or health-care background for me to get into a back and forth with you. Continue standing by what you said.....I have no problem with you standing by your beliefs!

Old 05-25-2018, 12:38 PM

1,183 posts, read 708,976 times
[quote=atlguy44;52001004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Your response emphasizes my point. I do not think you have the necessary training or health-care background for me to get into a back and forth with you. Continue standing by what you said.....I have no problem with you standing by your beliefs!

Altguy - you appear more than confused on this. SuzyQ's statements are correct - your wildcard ain't-fitting-the-facts guess doesn't come down to a matter of "belief" systems.

We have enough anti-vaccination idiocy in this world, please don't contribute to that red herring.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,565 times
[quote=Chint;52001214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post

Altguy - you appear more than confused on this. SuzyQ's statements are correct - your wildcard ain't-fitting-the-facts guess doesn't come down to a matter of "belief" systems.

We have enough anti-vaccination idiocy in this world, please don't contribute to that red herring.
I'm not anti-vaccine. On the contrary, because of my background, very pro. I think you're the one who is confused. As with the previous poster, I wont get into this argument with you as there would be no point in that.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:23 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
I'm amazed at how many people went to work with shingles. First, I don't know how you did it. Second, I'd be afraid of exposing so many other people. One of the reasons I chose to stay home was because we had two pregnant women working in the same office I was. I surely didn't want to expose them or their unborn babies to possible chicken pox. Third, I looked like something that crawled out of a lagoon and was probably as bad tempered.

One thing that really struck me was once the shingles developed into sores, I wanted Gatorade in the worst way. One of my friends got me a couple of 32oz bottles and I downed one just like that. I thought that was really weird, but maybe having shingles dehydrates you.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm amazed at how many people went to work with shingles. First, I don't know how you did it.
Some people have a higher tolerance for pain than others.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:31 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
$170????????? I'll take my chances.
Hah, I've seen people dealing with shingles. I'd GLADLY pay $170 to avoid that kind of misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement