Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

Do we have a class system on the C-D?

With a bunch of anonymous people on the internet? Um no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:43 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why would a younger person still with options in life spending as much time in a retirement as they do complain about someone else having better retirement benefits. If retirement is important wouldn’t you adapt knowing the long term outcomes available?
Public sector jobs are highly coveted, and almost impossible to get. For federal jobs, it's very difficult to get around veteran's preference.

If you're a top tier private sector worker, you're probably doing better than the vast majority of the public sector workers, even if you include their benefits. If you're a $200,000/yr person, sure, you can simply offset a lot of those benefits with your own income.

The majority of us private sector workers will not earn enough to nearly make up for the additional level of benefits received in the public sector.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Public sector jobs are highly coveted, and almost impossible to get. For federal jobs, it's very difficult to get around veteran's preference.

If you're a top tier private sector worker, you're probably doing better than the vast majority of the public sector workers, even if you include their benefits. If you're a $200,000/yr person, sure, you can simply offset a lot of those benefits with your own income.

The majority of us private sector workers will not earn enough to nearly make up for the additional level of benefits received in the public sector.
Move and change again. You are in a tech field and there are many school districts needing teachers. Egads just look North to North Carolina where there are a lot of vacancies going unfilled. Same in many parts of the country. Just go back to college part time and get certified and retirement benefits will be plentiful for you also. All you need is the desire to focus on the long term game at the expense of immediacy as many posters in here have done. Hey isn't your Elementary school teacher friend doing that? If you can't beat them join them. I mean you do seem like the sort who has what it takes to be a teacher, yes?

http://tennesseestar.com/2017/04/10/...-of-education/

Quote:
Tennessee is scrambling to come up with ways to find and keep quality teachers in the classroom.
The state Department of Education released a report last week that details the problem and outlines proposed solutions that focus especially on strengthening ties with teacher education programs in the state’s postsecondary schools.
“More than 65,000 teachers show up each day to work in Tennessee’s public schools. At the current rate, half of these teachers will leave or retire in the next decade,” the report says.
Bethany Bowman, director of professional learning for Professional Educators of Tennessee (ProEd), calls the situation “a complete mess.”
“The Department of Education is too optimistic,” she told The Tennessee Star. “They’re always talking about highly effective teachers and I’m thinking, you’re lucky to get teachers period.”
Bowman noted that just days before the start of the new school year last summer, Metro Nashville Public Schools was still short 400 teachers. The district employs around 6,000 teachers.
Thar you go retirement bliss at your doorstep. Take the step my friend and one day you to will be one of the chosen ones if that's what you really want. Others did and are now there.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Not sure about Tennessee- but the teachers I have known are only paid for 10 months. Some take a lesser amount each month to have 12 paychecks. They buy supplies out of their salaries for their classrooms. They work way more than 40 hrs a week (meeting with parents after school hours, sponsoring extra curricular activities,grading, etc.) Generally, they cannot take personal time off except on school breaks and holidays.

On top of all this teachers have to be concerned with the possibility of a kid coming in with an AR-15 and killing their students.

They are not well compensated-in my opinion for their responsibility. They cannot even slip out to use the restroom easily. Are you allowed to ask for time off in October?? Can you run to the restroom when need be? Do you stand on your feet most of the day? Your job and a teachers is not comparable. Do you have a masters and Five years of professional experience- NO! You have time to make multiple posts on CD and check out your teacher friends Facebook page. She has to be attentive and hands on every second at work.

I have no sympathy for you- not being able to take time off - your work is no where as stressful as hers. Get a better job with a more lenient leave policy or quit complaining.
Sure, being paid on certain schedules is preferable to others, but it's essentially a convenience for the employee. If I net $36,000 annually, it really doesn't matter if that's doled out annually, monthly, semi-monthly, biweekly, what have you. The employee needs to come up with a budget to get through their monthly expenses with whatever pay frequency they have. If I ran off of a ten month pay schedule, I'd get larger paychecks for the ten months I'm paid for rather than a standard biweekly check.

Sure, teachers buy supplies out of their own paychecks, but I'm also not reimbursed for driving 25 miles away to the next town over for meetings. Incidentals like office supplies - wipes for the desk, pens, that type of thing- I pay for that.

Many of our IT staff pull at least fifty hours per week, every week throughout the year, with no holiday weeks off, no spring or summer breaks, or the other time off.

Yes, I have more than five years of professional experience, and no, it's not likely a master's degree would help my earnings in any way.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:02 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Quote:
Sure, being paid on certain schedules is preferable to others, but it's essentially a convenience for the employee. If I net $36,000 annually, it really doesn't matter if that's doled out annually, monthly, semi-monthly, biweekly, what have you. The employee needs to come up with a budget to get through their monthly expenses with whatever pay frequency they have. If I ran off of a ten month pay schedule, I'd get larger paychecks for the ten months I'm paid for rather than a standard biweekly check.

Sure, teachers buy supplies out of their own paychecks, but I'm also not reimbursed for driving 25 miles away to the next town over for meetings. Incidentals like office supplies - wipes for the desk, pens, that type of thing- I pay for that.

Many of our IT staff pull at least fifty hours per week, every week throughout the year, with no holiday weeks off, no spring or summer breaks, or the other time off.

Yes, I have more than five years of professional experience, and no, it's not likely a master's degree would help my earnings in any way.
You are still sounding like a whiner. I mentioned the masters because you said you were paid the same as a teacher with Five years of experience and a masters. Too bad- all you have to do is find a better job that fits your wants. Many people work 50 hours and more at exempt jobs. My husband often did more than that it is what you have to do to get ahead. And not just now in this economy-it always has been the case. It is your own fault that you are staying in a job with bad benefits.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:

As I noted previously it is all there for you if you want to join the rank of public sector employees. All you need to do is git er done.

From my previous link:
Quote:
She also said that alternative licensing programs should be expanded to help career switchers and others get in the classroom faster while they receive some training but not the amount of education currently expected. In addition, teachers need higher pay, especially teachers in high-need areas, Bowman said. Would-be teachers who are knowledgeable in areas like science have many other opportunities for higher pay in fields other than teaching, she said.
Have you explored certification programs for career changers like you. Gotta be exciting knowing that one day you to can be on easy street in retirement. Go for it I know you can do it and excel in the classroom.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:22 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
If there is class system then it would be purely accidental,but to be honest I’ve never really spent time examining posts to draw any conclusions. The posters seem very diverse. There are some that offer excellent advice,tips,ideas and support, some who brag, some who struggle etc. lifestyle and needs, health and circumstances are so broad that trying to determine if there is some class system seems a rather futile exercise.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
You are still sounding like a whiner. I mentioned the masters because you said you were paid the same as a teacher with Five years of experience and a masters. Too bad- all you have to do is find a better job that fits your wants. Many people work 50 hours and more at exempt jobs. My husband often did more than that it is what you have to do to get ahead. And not just now in this economy-it always has been the case. It is your own fault that you are staying in a job with bad benefits.

The overall point isn't me personally - a lot of people in the private sector have it way worse than I do. To me, one of the biggest "class divides" in the country, and on this board, are those who work in the public sector, and those who don't.

I moved back from Iowa in 2013. I ended up temping in Eastman's IT department at the end of the year. The pay was $11/hr on a 36 hr week, so a little over ten bucks and change at a 40 hr equivalency. No benefits. No guarantee of going permanent. They required a college degree.

That contract was renewed over the past couple of years, and there was a significant layoff there. A couple of the folks ended up moving into similar roles with the city government. It was a pay raise and obviously a massive increase in benefits and stability.

When you're on the outside of that looking in, it's easy to wonder why they have it so easy.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I would never think that someone is bragging if they say they have a couple of mil and want to know if they can retire. Like Mathjack and others here I've lived in hcol areas and sorry, 6k retirement income is nothing I would call lavish.
Sorry, I didn't realize that only questions about lavish lifestyles were allowed.

The fact remains that the poster in question didn't have just 6000 per month, they will have Social Security on top of that, plus interest from a decent sized 401K portfolio, leaving them with something in the 10K per month range. AND a paid off house.

HCOL or not, it's absurd that someone has to ask whether that's going to be enough for a single individual to live off of in retirement as if that's a serious question.

And I've lived in HCOL areas too, you aren't some special snowflake because of that. Lots of people here have as a matter of fact and know that there are a whole range of incomes even in HCOL places and people all across the income spectrum make it work.

So sorry, it's obnoxious to keep talking about 10K per month - or even 6K per month - as if that's subpoverty income, and it doesn't matter where you are in the US, it's not poverty level or even "modest" income even if someone has lavish dreams that exceed that income.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:18 AM

989 posts, read 769,786 times
I am sure there a folks with different incomes in retirement here, all over the map in fact. From $25k pa to over $125k pa to live off in retirement. The lower ranks will always complain or comment about those better off than themselves. I have found that the lower end tends to complain more about others who are doing well or better, for whatever reason. Some of my family do it to me, subtly some times and sometimes not so much so. Remember also that it is a lot easier to complain on the web rather than compliment. Just read any review site and you will see a lot more complaints. Personally, I like to question folks who are better than me so I may learn something from them. Remember we will always want more than we have even if we do not like to admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement