Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The administrators of City-Data (and whoever else votes....moderators perhaps?) absolutely love mathjack107's posts having awarded him $2000.00. Though I think they probably do not or there's a good chance that they do not fully understand a good percentage of what his posts are saying.
2000 ? it was 5500.00 .

but they understand enough to put me in time out ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly my point . not having comments that refer to things on both sides is silly just because some one feels their story is different . so what is said about a lifetime of bad choices just doesn't apply to them , just like those who worked for things would not have comments about being born in to it apply to them . but we certainly can't ignore the fact that both reasons exist .
Sorta like when I got slammed for starting a thread that as retirees or near retirees we had a lot to be thankful for when the market took off in late 2016.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM

Point of clarification or a perspective. Many study, work, invest so they don't have to live frugally.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sorta like when I got slammed for starting a thread that as retirees or near retirees we had a lot to be thankful for when the market took off in late 2016.
but i bet on other more appropriate forums they are all high fiving each other . totally different crowd than here . you can see that by the responses to the how badly everyone is doing articles that get posted.

you have so many more here that are not interested in financial issues or even greater financial success than they have . the crowd is very diverse but i think there are far more non financially interested people here .

Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The administrators of City-Data (and whoever else votes....moderators perhaps?) absolutely love mathjack107's posts having awarded him $5500.00. Though I think they probably do not or there's a good chance that they do not fully understand a good percentage of what his posts are saying.

correction - he has been awarded $5500.00, not just $2000!
Wow that’s great. More power to him. He has been a wonderful source of information.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:50 PM

awe shucks !

Old 06-14-2018, 03:51 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree. It’s because of these naive criticisms that “the lower end” finds itself on the defensive itself so often.
The criticisms often aren't naive, but they are definitely dumb. I've certainly put a verbal boot up the a$$ of some posters in the Personal Finance forum and even here in the Retirement forum - but the posters in question on the receiving end of my kick are still young. They still have time to turn their financial ship around before it turns into the next Titanic. But what's the point of castigating someone who's in their late 50s or older for not saving enough if they aren't in possession of a time machine? They can't just set the dial to "age 20" and fix any past mistakes they have made, so what is gained by rubbing their nose in their past errors? And of course sometimes it's just sheer dumb bad luck that put them in their current position; that's not avoidable. Best to either offer them good tips on how to make the money they do have stretch as far as it can, or just stay silent.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
but i bet on other more appropriate forums they are all high fiving each other . totally different crowd than here . you can see that by the responses to the how badly everyone is doing articles that get posted.
We use to high five and congratulate those who were doing well in retirement along with those entering retirement on a high note. Lot of rah rah hope I do also. Even those not doing as well supported those doing better. You were a real hero.

I remember a thread that started out about a small COLA increase and the rise in beef cost. Part of the flow was Robyn55 and a few of us discussing the virtue of Costco and how good their prime NY Strip was and whether we preferred that or their prime Rib Eye. Relatively great price compared to other places and it was prime. No one objected and folks joined in noting they might not be able to afford but they liked Costco and and their meat prices. Encouraging others to shop there and that it was worth the membership fee if you could swing it. Doubt that could happen now a days. I remember Robyn and others being so high on Publix which we didn't have. Now we do and love it.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:

you have so many more here that are not interested in financial issues or even greater financial success than they have . the crowd is very diverse but i think there are far more non financially interested people here .
I think the financially interested people and well off people are here just not articulating it for obvious reasons. It comes out when ever anyone does a survey and the results shock folks about how well off folks are. They may not post but they read.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Point of clarification or a perspective. Many study, work, invest so they don't have to live frugally.
that was my focus . i grew up living as frugally as i ever want be by need .

i always preferred to not live so frugally once i was on my own but to take what i was able to save and compound it early on and the best i could .

it worked out well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement