Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:17 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Health care -- I came down with pneumonia and dengue at the same time, spent three nights in a public hospital. Nursing care was excellent, the doctor competent and attentive. Accurate diagnosis, full recovery. Private room. All self paid, the total bill for everything came to $800-US. Foreign immigrants are eligible for PhiHealth, the universal health car, the premium is $350 a year (for Filipinos it is $50). It takes a year to become eligible, I wasn't yet.

Cost of living is not much different from US, prices of almost everything is pretty much the same. Food, utilities, clothing, manufactured goods. The exceptions are transportation and housing. You won't need a car, and public transport is very cheap and efficient. You can buy a very nice house in a gated subdivision for $50-100K, or a pleasant one in the country for half of that.
Pneumonia and Dengue at the same time sounds like a worst nightmare. You survived and I'm assuming you're older so that gives me some comfort. $800, here in the U.S. the same treatment (most of which I'm assuming was supportive with IV fluids etc. since there's no cure for either unless it's bacterial Pneumonia which is rare) would be about $8,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Sounds like California to me!
Yeah I'm not sure what he's smoking lol - They accept Philippines nurses worldwide precisely because they speak English and the quality of education received in Philippines

UAE, Russia, UK, USA, etc etc

And I'm not sure how his medical bill is $0 - We all know medicaid doesn't pay for everything.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Yeah I'm not sure what he's smoking lol - They accept Philippines nurses worldwide precisely because they speak English and the quality of education received in Philippines

And I'm not sure how his medical bill is $0 - We all know medicaid doesn't pay for everything.
Exactly! They are some of the most sought after nurses. My DH was in the hospital for over 100 days here in the states, of all the nurses he dealt with, his favorites were Filipinos. Sweet, kind, and extremely competent.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'd check out whether having Rodrigo Duarte, President of Philippines, would have any effect on retirement there - since Duarte is known as an authoritarian dictator and autocrat. It might have little effect on your retirement - worth checking out though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_Duterte
He is term limited to a single 6 year term of office, two years less than any single US President. And like the US the nation seems to shift parties after the term

Old 06-19-2018, 06:58 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'd check out whether having Rodrigo Duarte, President of Philippines, would have any effect on retirement there - since Duarte is known as an authoritarian dictator and autocrat. It might have little effect on your retirement - worth checking out though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_Duterte
That is what I think about - no thanks

Yes, it might be cheaper to live there, but you are surrounded by poverty everywhere. To me it means rich people taking advantage of the poor. Again no thanks.

Yes, it happens here too, but at least there are agencies that will help.

Spent many months in Panama - again no thanks. Beggars literally chasing us down the street. Sticking their hands in asking for food as we ate. Who wants that?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post

Two points:

1. Of course the Philippine nurses who come to US speak English. They have to, to work Here. Probably would not be useful in Russia though.

Interesting article about medical care there: http://myphilippinedreams.com/reason...e-philippines/

Secondly, if you actually read my post you will see I am talking Medicare, not Medicaid. I have an excellent supplement and have paid $0 for out of pocket for medical care in two years since I retired

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-19-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I don’t understand moving to a foreign country, always be the foreigner, the outsider, who doesn’t speak the local language or understands the culture. Just to get cheap healthcare?

With Medicare (which doesn’t work outside the US) and my supplement we pay $0 for medical care. I don’t understand why one would leave family, friends and all that is familiar to save $$$ for something that might never be needed. Thought: Do you want to be in a nursing home where the staff dosen’t speak English? But as I’ve said before, chances are you won’t need long term nursing home care

It's not just the Health Care ($80 per month for a couple) it's being able to have a beachfront condo and live rather luxuriously for a fraction of the cost in the U.S. We don't have any "always the foreigner" feelings. Great group of expats here and the locals are friendly. Plus a maid: $10 for 3 hours. Life is simple; no need for cars either.

For us, worth the trade-offs (Ecuador).

Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It's not just the Health Care ($80 per month for a couple) it's being able to have a beachfront condo and live rather luxuriously for a fraction of the cost in the U.S. We don't have any "always the foreigner" feelings. Great group of expats here and the locals are friendly. Plus a maid: $10 for 3 hours. Life is simple; no need for cars either.

For us, worth the trade-offs (Ecuador).
I am aware of your reasons for living in Ecuador. Understandable.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
I don’t understand moving to a foreign country, always be the foreigner, the outsider, who doesn’t speak the local language or understands the culture. Just to get cheap healthcare?

With Medicare (which doesn’t work outside the US) and my supplement we pay $0 for medical care. I don’t understand why one would leave family, friends and all that is familiar to save $$$ for something that might never be needed. Thought: Do you want to be in a nursing home where the staff dosen’t speak English? But as I’ve said before, chances are you won’t need long term nursing home care
Well said!

Some of them will only look at you as an ATM machine with a big smile on their faces. Don't take the bait, there are better options available at home.

Compare the hospitals that use foreign worker to see how many have higher malpractice issues.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:

I would like to retire at 62. Health insurance between 62 and when wife turns 65 (4.5) years may well be unobtainable. The wife has family there. English is widely spoken all my wife’s family speak English quite well as do the majority of Filipinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement