Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,028,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I really have come to believe that men are much needier creatures than women. Men want to believe otherwise, but I see no evidence of that.
I agree. I went out to lunch with some male coworkers and they all said that a man won't leave his wife until he has another woman already in the wings - no matter how bad the marriage is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I agree. I went out to lunch with some male coworkers and they all said that a man won't leave his wife until he has another woman already in the wings - no matter how bad the marriage is.

From my own experience, my ex had many ladies in the wings but wasn't happy I divorced him. Could have been he felt embarrassed, missed my paycheck, wanted to look respectable.

I've never been sorry I divorced him. Just wish I had done it a lot sooner. He has had two more marriages afterward but think he's still doing his "thing."

Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
I prefer to be single, It allows me to live outside the city in rural areas, I've been a trail runner most my life and now a mountain biker, I like horses and dogs and gardening, I live on 2ac and its all my mine... Why screw it all up ?
Sounds nice.

The whole thing is that it has been projected upon everyone that they have a certain type of lifestyle and if they did not, they were weird. I think it has contributed to many being involved, having children and staying together, when they really may not have wanted to. Hey, some may do that and are content. Some want more contact with others than you might, but doesn't mean either way is wrong. Again, people vary.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,574,853 times
I used to work home health care in the rural areas. I can't count the number of times I drove up on a property and found Mr and Mrs living in two separate houses on the same property. It seemed to be a common solution to domestic strife.

One memorable situation involved a huge single house where they had literally drawn a thick yellow stripe down the center of the living room entrance and extended it to the back of of the building. "His and hers." Quite clever.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,171,391 times
Quote:
I really have come to believe that men are much needier creatures than women. Men want to believe otherwise, but I see no evidence of that.
ITA. I read some stats somewhere (I'll try to find it and follow up) that after being widowed, men jumped into new relationships and marriages way faster than women who were widowed. My own experience with my grief support group bore this out. The men were all trawling for dates long before we women were thinking about it. It's like they can't bear to be alone with just themselves and their emotions.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,917,399 times
Quote:

My brother and SIL will be married 50 years this coming April and he has told me that if anything happened to her he'd have another one ASAP. I doubt very much he would ever find another one that is as compatible with him as she is and can't imagine even trying to find one. But he was quite serious.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:50 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
maybe it is society that makes them feel they have to have someone. Women can be spinsters and no one really cares.

I had to catch myself from thinking this way about my younger brother that split up from a long time girlfriend.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 AM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The once a week was for "playtime" but she was getting me involved in her life like with her kids, which I did not want. Ended up I was seeing her 2-4 times a week and that was to much.
UPDATE

Been missing my friend, especially the "playtime". She called and wanted to meet and talk about us getting back together. Well long story short, she agreed she had been demanding to much of my time so we agreed to at least keep the playtime and go from there. Will see how that this works out.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:30 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

maybe it is society that makes them feel they have to have someone. Women can be spinsters and no one really cares.

I had to catch myself from thinking this way about my younger brother that split up from a long time girlfriend.
You have a penchant for using very out-of-date, outmoded, antiquated terms, such as spinster and tomboy.

Spinster is an out-of-date antiquated term. Women should not be termed as 'spinsters'. Nor should women be defined upon whether she has a man in her life or not, or defined by whether she is or has been married in her life or not.

And tomboy (which you use) as a term is archaic:

tomboy is an old-fashioned term. It implies that there are boy things, and girl things, and a divide, and strict gender roles. This is not true. It sends the wrong message. And many young people like a combination of many things, not following labels or gender-restricted ideas.

This short essay explains it.
https://byrslf.co/why-i-refuse-to-ca...y-fc87cfc198be

Last edited by matisse12; 11-03-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-03-2018, 02:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,384,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
UPDATE

Been missing my friend, especially the "playtime". She called and wanted to meet and talk about us getting back together. Well long story short, she agreed she had been demanding to much of my time so we agreed to at least keep the playtime and go from there. Will see how that this works out.
Wow, a big dose of chauvinism!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement