Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

This conversation comes up a few times a week when I am out and about with my female friends and sibling.

The divorced and widowed ones say they can never imagine living with a man again.

The married ones can't wait until their hubbies take off for a few days or even hours.

I'm not officially attached and live with a roommate - but this morning I had to agree with them.

Always asking me questions from the other side of the house. I have to get up and go ask what?

Taking forever to get ready to leave. We don't go anywhere together, but I prefer to leave the house after he is gone. He will leave doors open etc. Very absent minded.

He does a lot around here so I try to overlook this but after being asked ten times if I want something to eat after I said no in person and in text (a record he can review), it just drives me batty!!

Do men get irritated with their women? How do y'all cope.

I really don't want to get mad at him since he does do a lot around here. Just be quiet - lol. Stop asking questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'm in a relationship now, but have been single most of my adult life. I was also an only child and tended to "live in my head."

There are plenty of times that I would just prefer to be alone.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I have lived, "in relationships" and much prefer living alone.

I think the "he does so much around the house, so I don't say anything" is your choice but I see it as an unfortunate one.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM

I thought that after this relationship was over, I would like to be involved with someone again - but I don't know.

Maybe separate living arrangements would work. And no "assigned" household chores. No expectations of making dinner or doing laundry. Just a carefree existence together - does that exist??

Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have lived, "in relationships" and much prefer living alone.

I think the "he does so much around the house, so I don't say anything" is your choice but I see it as an unfortunate one.
I know. But have to take into account the good things he does. Weigh the good with the bad? I know this will eventually come to an end.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
It depends on the type of person you are and the type of person you choose to share your living quarters with (roommate, spouse) and how you set boundaries and deal with trivial irritations.

I was used to having my days to myself and work in my studio, now I have my husband home full time and life has dramatically changed as has my time in the studio. However he is my best friend and we are going on a lot of adventures, and do what we want and when we want and when we are in the mood. I gave up working full time on my art but if I need to spend a couple of hours each morning in the studio I do it and my husband goes off and does his thing. we meet for lunch and then the rest of the day is for travel, relaxing, movies whatever we are in the mood for. I enjoyed being single, then I enjoyed being married. I do understand the moans and complaints though as I have friends whose husbands drove them up the wall with questions, and forgetting that the wife may be retired too and shouldn't be expected to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner anymore.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Misandry on parade. And older women wonder why men dump them and find trophy wives -- LOL

Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Misandry on parade. And older women wonder why men dump them and find trophy wives -- LOL
Hey and maybe the women are secretly happy that they hit the road?

I would be glad if he was happy with someone else. I want him to enjoy life. Finding someone that will do that for him would’ve great. He has been through a lot.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Maybe that's a good thing - once you're rid of him you find out you're better off being your own boss!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Oh give it a rest, it works both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement