Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Fine. Double it and throw in a pizza. Or do it yourself. Ripping a CD takes less than 3 minutes. Still better than $1k.

Seriously, is anyone really playing hundreds of different CDs in their car?
Some people just like playing a few CDs, some people like playing thousands of songs, everyone's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Both our cars are keyless entry with zero problems.

I hate our 2017 Civic. We bought new because we wanted the new technology but I'm sticking with my 2013 Acura. The Civic radio is all digital, no knobs, just press on the icons, again and then again and if it doesn't work, then again. And, yes, no CD player. The nav system is not as good as my waze app and the damn car yells at me in either robot voice or chimes If I'm too close to the car in front of me, if I take my seatbelt off before hitting my driveway, and numerous other offenses. It even vibrates if I go outside of my lane.

After driving it primarily for six months, I handed it over to my husband and I've found new love for my 2013 Acura. My next car will be a gently used luxury car. I feel like I'm in a plastic box of junk technology when I'm in our still new Civic.
I dislike digital interfaces with a passion. I made sure my last two cars for life had physical knobs for the radio and climate controls. I dislike nannies like Lane Keep Assist that are just intrusive when you just want to drive down the street or go for a nice peaceful ride.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In the aviation sector way more people have been killed due to pilot error than due to computer error.
I can die with that.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Some people just like playing a few CDs, some people like playing thousands of songs, everyone's different.
An interesting sweet spot was the ones that could play MP3 CD's. You could fit about 150 songs on a disc instead of 15-20.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Either detach your Ethernet chord or disable the wifi setting on your computer then create a folder on your hard drive. Copy the songs into the folder. Copy the folder onto the thumb drive. That should work.

Stop buying low end Fords and buy a Corolla.
I rented a BMW X3 SUV in Florida. The transmission was difficult to manage but perhaps that's part of the BMW mystique. The rental company took the manual explaining the transmission operation out of the car. The mystique is something that I could have lived without.
Gads! I don't consider a $25,000 vehicle as low end. And as for BMW, my friend has one and it is nothing but trouble and expense.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My 2014 Santa Fe has and we love it.

I'm very familiar with the Santa Fe and other Hyundai products. They have blind spot monitoring, but nothing to keep you in your own lane should you try and move over to a lane that is occupied by another vehicle. There is lane keep assist, which nudges you back toward the center of your own lane, should you try and cross lanes without signaling. But that system uses a camera to ensure you don't depart your own lane. My wife's Subaru has that and newer Hyundai products have that. And there is lane departure warning, which alerts you when you drift outside of your lane, but there is no active correction.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We rented a 2018 Murano in Chicago. It had that. A light came on on the A pillar to warn you a car was beside you. Either side. A beep sounded if it was farther back in the blind spot. Took some getting used to, but I liked it. Didn't stop me from looking, but it was a good reminder.
This reminded me of a conversation I had with my son a few months ago. He and my DIL both have their cars on 3-year leases, and my DIL's lease came up earlier this year. I forget which car she turned in and which she got, but one difference was that the previous one had the blind spot warning light and beep and the new one doesn't. I remember his comment verbatim:

"She almost crashed the car three times just in the first week because the new one doesn't have the warning system on the sides and she got so used to having that on the other car. She still hates that the new one doesn't have it."

My DIL is in her mid-thirties, btw. I assume that, since she hasn't had an accident with the car (that I know of, lol), she finally got back into the habit of actually LOOKING before changing lanes instead of depending on the automated warning so much.

It's funny but I have the opposite issue, in a way. My new 2017 has the right-side lane-change camera so whenever I put on that turn signal I get the live camera shot on one of the two display screens on the dash. It's a neat feature and I appreciate it BUT even after driving the car for eight months I still automatically turn my head to check, as my first line of defense. Fifty-plus years of driving habit is probably not going away anytime soon. :-)

Old 08-08-2018, 07:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm very familiar with the Santa Fe and other Hyundai products. They have blind spot monitoring, but nothing to keep you in your own lane should you try and move over to a lane that is occupied by another vehicle. There is lane keep assist, which nudges you back toward the center of your own lane, should you try and cross lanes without signaling. But that system uses a camera to ensure you don't depart your own lane. My wife's Subaru has that and newer Hyundai products have that. And there is lane departure warning, which alerts you when you drift outside of your lane, but there is no active correction.
Gotcha, so that means the newer Genesis have what you are referring to. That is helpful for me. I just want what we get to have maximum safety.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
This reminded me of a conversation I had with my son a few months ago. He and my DIL both have their cars on 3-year leases, and my DIL's lease came up earlier this year. I forget which car she turned in and which she got, but one difference was that the previous one had the blind spot warning light and beep and the new one doesn't. I remember his comment verbatim:

"She almost crashed the car three times just in the first week because the new one doesn't have the warning system on the sides and she got so used to having that on the other car. She still hates that the new one doesn't have it."

My DIL is in her mid-thirties, btw. I assume that, since she hasn't had an accident with the car (that I know of, lol), she finally got back into the habit of actually LOOKING before changing lanes instead of depending on the automated warning so much.

It's funny but I have the opposite issue, in a way. My new 2017 has the right-side lane-change camera so whenever I put on that turn signal I get the live camera shot on one of the two display screens on the dash. It's a neat feature and I appreciate it BUT even after driving the car for eight months I still automatically turn my head to check, as my first line of defense. Fifty-plus years of driving habit is probably not going away anytime soon. :-)
This is cause for concern, when people are so used to electronic nannies and drive another car and forget different cars may have different nannies. Someone used to adaptive cruise control might set the cruise control on another car that doesn't have ACC and be surprised when they run into the car ahead, or be reliant on autonomous braking and drive another car that doesn't have it, and run into the car ahead because they assume the car will brake for them.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Someone should start a new vehicle company called Dinosaur.

Better than the Jitterbug phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement