Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 PM

535 posts, read 343,534 times

Advertisements

There was a tenant that got too close to my mentally ill sister and my 92 year old mother. He kissed their rear ends for about 10-15 years. He was able to get them to charge him cheap rent, and sign a 12 year lease to continue the cheap rent.
I knew I had a problem when his name was on the medical emergency list at the doctor's office instead of mine. I confronted my mother about this, and she removed his name and added mine and my other sister's.

Once, I saw him at the hospital, and informed him that there were 6 children and there was no way that I was going to make it easy for him. I then said, "If you think I am bad, wait until you meet my brothers!" I remember calling the department of Social Services on him, but that only angered my mother and sister.

My point is that not only are some nurses this way (although in certain states this may be against the law), but watch the neighbors, tenants, and friends as well.

In order to keep tabs on your family members, you have to be close to them. Living out of state or the country and rarely seeing your loved ones makes for an excellent opportunity for others to take over your parent's estate. I have seen this over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Can’t you count on an irrevocable trust?

Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That's actually rather funny. Sad that the elderly are so gullible, but hilarious that their greedy kids get cheated out of something they didn't earn.
Gullible? Why do you assume they are gullible?

Old 09-13-2019, 08:24 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Yes, I have a Sister-In-Law who told my wife that her (SIL) retirement plan was her inheritance from their Mother.

Their mother is Dead Broke!

Now she has said her retirement plan is to move in with us! Another incentive to move into a CCRC where the Added Person Fee would be cost prohibitive.
UPDATE:

My S-I-L told my wife yesterday that her plan is to move out of her apartment and buy a Mobile Home in the same Park where my M-I-L lives. For the value of her rent, or less, she can make payments on a new double-wide, and pay the lot rent, and pay utilities.

Adjacent to the entrance of of the Park is a small strip mall with a Hair Salon and a Dollar Store. She is a licensed Beautician and is confident both businesses could provide part-time employment opportunities to supplement her SS disability payments. She suffers from seizures related to past brain trauma. Her Meds keep the seizures at bay but she must limit how much she does. Part-time gig(s) are feasible, full time work no longer is.

This is the best idea she has had in years!

Old 09-14-2019, 02:24 PM

302 posts, read 182,584 times
Years ago my husband’s uncle (a widower) passed away. He had no children and no will could be found so his multi-million dollar estate was to be divided up between his siblings and/or sibling’s children if the sibling was deceased. My husband’s mother was a sibling but she had passed away so my husband and his siblings would inherit her share which was supposed to be a hefty amount. Several days before the estate was to be settled, a man showed up at the attorney’s office claiming that he was the illegitimate son of the uncle. Apparently he had reached out to the uncle as an adult, they had somewhat of a relationship and he provided pictures of the two of them together. A judge ordered the uncle’s body be exhumed, a DNA test performed and the DNA matched. The entire estate was awarded to him. Good thing we hadn't spent the money!

Old 09-14-2019, 03:57 PM

893 posts, read 510,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That's actually rather funny. Sad that the elderly are so gullible, but hilarious that their greedy kids get cheated out of something they didn't earn.
I don't get your sense of humour. We worked hard for our money, I definitely want to pass money on to our two children, who love us and we love them.
Nothing wrong with leaving money to your children, some people really have a bee in their bonnet about money.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:44 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Years ago my husband’s uncle (a widower) passed away. He had no children and no will could be found so his multi-million dollar estate was to be divided up between his siblings and/or sibling’s children if the sibling was deceased. My husband’s mother was a sibling but she had passed away so my husband and his siblings would inherit her share which was supposed to be a hefty amount. Several days before the estate was to be settled, a man showed up at the attorney’s office claiming that he was the illegitimate son of the uncle. Apparently he had reached out to the uncle as an adult, they had somewhat of a relationship and he provided pictures of the two of them together. A judge ordered the uncle’s body be exhumed, a DNA test performed and the DNA matched. The entire estate was awarded to him. Good thing we hadn't spent the money!
And to think, a simple will or trust would have changed everything.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:45 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
I don't get your sense of humour. We worked hard for our money, I definitely want to pass money on to our two children, who love us and we love them.
Nothing wrong with leaving money to your children, some people really have a bee in their bonnet about money.
You have a trust set up, right?

Old 09-14-2019, 04:53 PM

938 posts, read 424,132 times
My mother always said don’t look to her for much of an inheritance because she was bound and determined to spend as much as she could in her last years. Both my brother and I said right on.

She recently passed and had $5000 in her savings account. Her living trust had us splitting it. I told my brother and his wife to keep it all. They cared for her in her last four years and her government retirement income helped them while my SIL quit her job to care for her 24/7 365.

Before she got too ill, she traveled the world.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:31 PM

893 posts, read 510,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You have a trust set up, right?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement