Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:04 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Coincidentally (although unrelated to the above), I just received a letter in the mail informing me that my primary care doctor is switching to a concierge practice as of October 1st and that if my wife and I want to keep seeing her it will cost $3,500/year to do so ($1,800/each minus $100 discount for couples).

So much for the $2/month I was going to save on my Blue Cross premium, lol.
This just happened to me this week, also, and for the same amount: $1800 annual fee.

I understand this from the doctor's perspective: Now that tons of people have access to free care, the demand for doctor's services can't be met, and waiting times to see a physician are months. Add in that the doctor gets very little reimbursement per patient. Now add in that the doctor has to spend 40 hours a week just doing paperwork to comply.

This is what will happen even moreso with the Medicare for all model that liberals are crying for. Without enough doctors and with minimal reimbursements, good luck seeing a doctor at all. You'll be relegated to a P.A. for everything.

So there will be two tiers: The "regular" doctors, swamped with patients who get very little compensation per-patient, and long waits for 90% of the population. Can't see a doctor at all in many cases. And then, for the affluenr, the "concierge" doctors who limit their practices so they can provide better service.

And then the bleeding heart liberals will cry: no fair! Why shouldn't the welfare mother with free insurance get every bit as attentive medical care as the educated, hard-working professionals who pay both insurance premiums AND a concierge fee?

And we are back to where we started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 09:23 AM

363 posts, read 350,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Of interest to some is that Blue Cross is introducing a third, lower cost option this year, in addition to its Standard and Basic plans. That third plan, called Blue Focus, will feature preventive care, access to the BCBS network of hospitals and doctors,

Also starting in 2019, military retirees and their families will be eligible to enroll in the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)

Besides a cheaper price, the only thing I remember about the new BCBS offering is that it is for IN-network treatment. I like to have OUT-of-network coverage.

If someone is a federal employee and retired military, it might be better to sign up for FEDVIP on the civilian side. IIRC, the civilian premiums would be paid with pre-tax money.

Some of the FEDVIP dental plans have a high max benefit. That might be a deciding factor for people thinking about dental insurance.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
Let's not get off track on concierge medical practices. Feel free to start a new thread about that if you wish. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:37 AM

421 posts, read 391,773 times
One thing about dental insurance that saved our family a ton of money. Was if you knew you are were going to have a huge bill in the near future you could plan ahead and (if) both spouses could take dental for "self+one" or both could take "family" dental.

This allowed me to get 4 crowns at no cost because the insurance company(s) paid 50% (both did!!) That equaled 100% coverage for those very expensive crowns. When our kids were younger will did the same thing with braces. . . it was much cheaper to pay for two family plans then it was to cover the 50% of two daughters braces for a couple of years. Also, a heck of a lot cheaper to budget for dental premiums! those don't change from month to month.

One thing about those costs is that you can somewhat plan ahead if the dentist suggests a future treatment might be in the cards.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:26 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
there are different plans. not sure which you purchased but mine fully covers 2x/yr cleaning, 1x/yr X-rays as well as usual coverages for other things. i have aetna dental

Agree. I had a Metlife PPO standard plan for many years and got two cleanings and x-rays (maybe once a year...not sure) and last year switched to Metlife PPO High. Been very satisfied.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,012,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The Fedvip Dental is a laugh. I paid for this for a year and even basic dental (cleanings, etc.) were not paid. Never again!
Sounds like the current Delta Dental plan for retired military. I saw the mention of including the military in Fedvip in the article, and got my hopes up. It doesn't sound any better. Guess I'll let 'em fall out one by one, and get a set of cheap dentures.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:08 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,012,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
We've been using the Tricare Delta Dental which will be discontinued on Dec. 31, 2018. It has always paid for 1 check-up and cleaning and x-rays in full. After that it covered 50%, I think. It also covered 50% of my husband's crowns and root canal, and it reduced the cost of his implant and covered a portion of it. We were happy with it.

Delta Dental is one of the choices being offered through FEDVIP. Prices for 2019 for all Dental and Vision plans will be posted on the military site starting October 10, 2018. The brochures are posted now as well as the 2018 prices.

I plan to read all the brochures more in-depth and have already made a spreadsheet for what each choice covers so that I can more easily compare.

This is also the first year we will be offered vision plans. However, after scanning the plans, I'm not sure they are worth bothering with.
With the costs of the kind of dental work most seniors need, 50% doesn't cut it.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,148,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Sounds like the current Delta Dental plan for retired military. I saw the mention of including the military in Fedvip in the article, and got my hopes up. It doesn't sound any better. Guess I'll let 'em fall out one by one, and get a set of cheap dentures.
you could at least read each plan's information rather than writing them off without researching. there is more than one plan.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Agree. I had a Metlife PPO standard plan for many years and got two cleanings and x-rays (maybe once a year...not sure) and last year switched to Metlife PPO High. Been very satisfied.

I have had Metlife PPO high for 15 years I believe and too have no complaints about this coverage.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:28 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
With the costs of the kind of dental work most seniors need, 50% doesn't cut it.
So you'd rather skip the guaranteed 50% coverage and just pay the entire 100% yourself instead??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement