Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,941,713 times

Advertisements

After talking with a soon-to-retire fellow employee yesterday and learning his plans for post-retirement activities, I thought this might be an interesting topic.

Travel, Volunteering, and Relocation may be among the most common but there are some unusual ones too.

I will re-post my plans in this sequence and post the plans of my co-worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Museum Docent Operating a Saw Mill

My plan is to be come a Docent at Greenfield Village, the brain child of Henry Ford, a recreated village using historical American and European buildings located outside Detroit.

My Great-Great-Great-Grandfather's 'Muley style' Sawmill is preserved there. No longer used as an operating display, my plan is to be come a Docent and operate the Sawmill as an active display for the Museums' visitors.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Construct and Fly a home-built airplane

This is the 40-50 year goal of my co-worker. He plans to construct a home-built airplane from a kit, and fly it for recreational purposes. Formerly a private pilot during his teen age years.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Mine could easily be derailed by health issues. I have a long list of specific fish I want to catch. I want to do some touring in a kayak and/or on an SUP. That will include a few specific point to point paddles of some distance. Obviously, that would have to happen early in retirement if it will be possible at all.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 AM

211 posts, read 118,135 times
I have countless plans for retirement, almost too many plans. Most do involve travel, so that's not unusual in itself. I want to buy a nice cargo van and get it remodeled as a camper. The idea of packing up, getting in the van, and touring the country a week at a time seems incredibly ideal. I also want to spend my early summers on a chartered yacht off the coast of Florida or New England area with the ocean breeze hitting my face. Not everyday of course, but twice a week for a few hours for about a month in April. Gardening is also something I would be heavily involved in, I like the idea of growing plants in my yard and tending to them. I'd also like to go on guided tours of Europe, hoping I don't have to wait for retirement for this one. In addition I'd like to foster shelter animals, they need love and attention and I'm guessing I'll have enough of that to give.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM

167 posts, read 162,744 times
I waited 30+ years to get my German Shepherd Dog, and 6 months into retirement on December 15, 2015 we got him. Weather permitting, we play several times outside and if I have things to do such as mow the lawn, he makes sure I take a break or two for us to play fetch. In bad weather it's tug with his tug toys. Takes me twice as long to get stuff done, but I'm retired and don't mind. With him around I keep busier then I ever thought I would.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
My approach is take a handful of cooked spaghetti and throw it at a wall and see what sticks.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Mine could easily be derailed by health issues. I have a long list of specific fish I want to catch. I want to do some touring in a kayak and/or on an SUP. That will include a few specific point to point paddles of some distance. Obviously, that would have to happen early in retirement if it will be possible at all.
Yep, many of our plans were derailed by onset of major health issue.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,562 times
I bought my dream farmhouse in the Blue Ridge Mountains when I was 50 and living in So Fl. That was in 2005. I decided this was where I want to be forever! I have 2 horses, 4 rescue dogs, awesome friends...I LOVE the country life!!! Been there done that with volunteering... I want nothing to do with the politics and backstabbing. I'm very happy, I am never bored...hay...lol...you can always take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the top down and the music blasting. I never dreamed...growing up in NYC..that someday this would be my life! I'm so blessed

Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My approach is take a handful of cooked spaghetti and throw it at a wall and see what sticks.
Hay...lol...why bother to cook it!!!? Lololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement