Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 08:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times

Advertisements

I am starting this thread in the retirement forum, because I am a baby boomer who was into computers and games when I was younger, and grew out of gaming because it consumed too much of my time.

I just wanted other people in the same boat know that there is a movie available for people like us that you may not have seen yet, but maybe you should. Ready Player One. I didn't have any information on what it was about before I watched it. Key to the movie is some of the classic computer(I hesitate to limit it to video) games going back to the late 70's.

Check it out. It is a real Adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Nice pun at the end Cruzincat...LOL. I was born in '63 and mostly identify with the GenX generation, but I'm technically a baby boomer. I started using Commodore computers in the early 80s and have been a gamer/techie ever since. There are probably more of us than we realize, but not as many as later generations.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
tho programming using code since 1970..."Digital Native" I am not.
https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...digital-native

I still am more comfortable with a "vi" editor than a windows / icon based 'simple' interface.

No flashy / pretty memory hogs... just get the task done CORRECTLY and FAST and get off this stink'n beast.
https://kb.iu.edu/d/afdc

If it hangs... Kill -9 , no blue screen of death!
Many hours of input saved when something went wrong. (seldom)

Sad Day when they took my UX box and replaced (?) it with a PC.

I'm definitely not Digital Native

Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Hexadecimal, anyone?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
The title mislead me. I thought the question would be about being tech savvy. Not being a gamer. This post was typed on my iPad.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:40 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I still am more comfortable with a "vi" editor than a windows / icon based 'simple' interface.
I used vi for many years but since terminals have gone the way of the dodo bird, no longer have need for it.

I recall a popular expression, though: "You can't spell `evil' without vi."

I'm not much of a gamer, never was. But I have gotten lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:49 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
For games, I never made it past PONG!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
Like most all movies, the book was better. But the visual CGI in RP1 was excellent. Much if it was just movies references from the 80s, ie BTTF, Iron Giant, Tron etc. For a light hearted game movie reference, watch “Pixels”

Old 01-03-2019, 08:32 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
I saw the ads for Ready Player One and thought the movie looked promising. Thanks for posting your thoughts about the movie.

I love computer and video games. I fondly remember playing Empire for many hours on end on my computer. I'm not usually a fan of "war" games, but I loved being able to create new worlds to explore and conquer.

I think I owned the majority of video platforms, even Turbo Grafix. I would buy games for me, but my son would play mine. He wanted the action/shooter games while I bought the adventure/puzzle ones. From the time he was age 3, he was better at games like Mario than I was lol But he enjoyed games like Zelda as much as I did. We both loved all of the Final Fantasy games. I loved when we conquered Metroid. The space suit came off revealing a female character.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:16 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The title mislead me. I thought the question would be about being tech savvy. Not being a gamer.
Agreed. Title should be “gamer” not “techie”.

I am absolutely a techie. I’ve worked in IT all my life. I can take a pc apart and put it back together again. I’ve been in code and system config files, all kinds of “ behind the scenes” stuff that only computer techies understand.

I’ve never been a gamer. I did see the film, it was ok, but nothing more interesting than a game. And for me, that ain’t much.

Mr. Robot - THAT is more of a “techie” show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement