Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,014 times

Advertisements

I spent Christmas with my daughter and son-in-law. No grandkids, so it was just the three of us. I would have liked to do more holiday activities....like taking in the town lights....so it has me back to thinking that maybe I need a boyfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:49 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Good? Bad? Sad? Mixed?

Mine were mixed. I worked most days, but the time I had off was nice, although very quiet and unexciting, with just my husband. I am actually glad the holidays are over, although I did think, for the first time, about how miserable my holidays will be if I survive him, so that made me appreciate my "nice, but boring" Christmas.

So, now that it is January 2nd and the holiday season is officially over, how was your holiday season?

(And, btw, I hope everyone reading this has a very happy New Year!)
Bitterly cold, cutting wind, heavy rain changing to snow. Then more even more bitterly cold and wind. Lonely, desolate view, negative outlook, feelings of despair. Other than that it wasn't all that bad actually.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
Bitterly cold, cutting wind, heavy rain changing to snow. Then more even more bitterly cold and wind. Lonely, desolate view, negative outlook, feelings of despair. Other than that it wasn't all that bad actually.
That is so sad! I hope that you have recovered by now.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:03 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I spent Christmas with my daughter and son-in-law. No grandkids, so it was just the three of us. I would have liked to do more holiday activities....like taking in the town lights....so it has me back to thinking that maybe I need a boyfriend.

Rethink, rethink, rethink!!!

I had a date this afternoon....... I should have stayed home.

Boyfriends (girlfriends) are not the answer.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

Boyfriends (girlfriends) are not the answer.
I know. I know. Been down that first date road too many times and usually come away with thinking "why am I doing this??".....but I moved to a new state and left my friends behind. I have found a group for lunches, movies, etc., but not a person to just pick up the phone and say, hey, there's such and such tomorrow. Want to go? I was actually looking into Intentional Communities. I don't know......my daughter may move away and I would not have a single person to call in an emergency. That is kind of unsettling.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,007,630 times
A friend went out of town, so I stayed at her place to take care of her cat.

One of the nice things about the new year is: there'll be no sappy holiday music for the next 11 months or so.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Meh. Glad they are over.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

Let me guess: He spent the entire time talking about his late wife.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM

1,042 posts, read 875,003 times
There was a part of me dreading Christmas, and reminding myself that December 26 was not that far away. But, it was all nice and fun, and I didn't even cry over things I wish were different [sick son and husband] Christmas was a blessed day in many ways, but the topper was, I met my middle sons' fiance. And I love her. and I told Anthony that if the two of them split up, I was keeping her!

A little back story[there is actually so much more] Anthony has been living in MO. He called us around the 20th. He said it was over with his girlfriend, and that he had lost his job on the very first day[ threw up on the floor in a slaghter house] and so we bought Anthony a ticket home for the holidays. Well, he showed up with his girlfriend, now engaged. And the slaghter house had called the next day saying that Anthony could still work there, but in a less "sensitive" area. He told them that he already had a ticket to Denver. They said they would hold his job until he returned. So...back to Amanda.

The minute I met her, I fell in love. She was wearing a woolen hat, and Anthony explained that her mother was getting chemo for 4th stage breast cancer [which means that the chemo she is receiving is for life extension rather than hopes for cure] and that her mother had lost her hair from chemo, and felt ugly, so, Amanda, my future daughter-in-law, shaved her own head. Like I said, I immediately fell in love.

I was cooking dinner, and she asked if she could help. I said yes, immediately thinking I had made a mistake, because often that just adds stress. But that girl knows her way around the kitchen, and within 2 minutes, she knew her way around MY kitchen. She made putting out a large dinner super easy. We were both very drawn to each other, and there was truly that feeling you have when you meet someone and feel as though you have known them forever.

It was about day 4 before we sat down alone and found out how incredibly much we have in common. We were both horrifically sexually abused as children, and no one would believe. We both had been dignosed in the past 6 years with breast cancer, and we both have evil sisters who said we were lying. We both love chickens and people tease us about it, calling us "the chicken lady." We have both been widowed while in our thirties. We both have an autistic child. I am Autistic, and she is not, but she definitely qualifies as a "cousin" [bi-polar] We both love to cook and especially to eat.

Back to Christmas. Bobby seemed almost like himself. LJ had only 2 seizures. Everyone loved the game. If anyone has been praying for us, thank you so much! It is working.

And now, a little over a week later, I am watching the new 'overboard" and I think I am going to love it as much as the original!

Old 01-03-2019, 07:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,629 times
Just Lovely. In fact we are still celebrating with our New Year’s Guests. We saw our kids for Christmas- they hosted and took care of everything. The easiest Christmas yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement