Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 03:26 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times

Advertisements

I get kind of upset reading threads like this (I know, neurotic) because I can't stand to think of people not bathing regularly. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I bathe twice a day and use organic and hand-crafted soaps.

I believe "Cleanliness is next to godliness."

To the people who don't bathe regularly: How often do you wash your towels, sheets, and bedding (pillows and blankets)? And do you clean your houses regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 03:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
I shower after I finish my workout each morning. If I waited until 4 pm people might complain.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I get kind of upset reading threads like this (I know, neurotic) because I can't stand to think of people not bathing regularly. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

To the people who don't bathe regularly: How often do you wash your towels, sheets, and bedding (pillows and blankets)? And do you clean your houses regularly?

Now you're getting personal.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:11 PM

96 posts, read 80,193 times
A long time ago, a dermatologist told me Irish Spring was about the worst DETERGENT you could use on your skin. He recommended a change to Ivory or Dove SOAP. I would think there are many more soaps on the market nowadays.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
There's always Granny's method. You make your own lye soap and then jump in the cee-ment pond. Then give everyone who comes to visit a really strong glass of home brew and they'll never complain!

Old 01-20-2019, 04:42 PM

143 posts, read 111,690 times
Quote:

So, your idea of bathing "regulary" is to do it twice a day? Sorry, not sorry. Firstly, I shower more in the warmer weather than in the cold winter. Never, ever use a hard soap, haven't in years. I have hard water and I hate the way the hard soap makes my skin feel. Also, liquid soap keeps my bathtub much cleaner, no buildup. I slap on moisturizer right out of the shower.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of body wipes. I buy them in Walmart and use them on the stinky areas in between showers. I usually shower before going out as I still get night sweats and can feel icky when I get up.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:59 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,365 times
Quote:

Gee Whiz, start your own thread if you want to talk about laundry and house keeping.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
I've always been a shower-at-night person, ideally shortly before going to sleep but definitely after dark. The idea of getting into bed 'not totally clean' has always seemed yucky to me.

I think a lot has to do with how we all were raised. My dad took his baths/showers at night. My mom took hers during the day after my dad left for work and I was at school. My ex and my son were/are all "pre-bedtime bathers/showerers".

I suspect it's also based on whether one is a Morning Person or a Night Person. I have never been a morning person and so it was a struggle just to get out of bed, eat breakfast, get dressed and get out the door. There is NO WAY I could have added a bath or shower to that routine, lol

The one exception to my nighttime showering is when I do garden work. Then I immediately shower, whether it's midday or afternoon or early evening. But that becomes my shower for the day because after that I stay indoors. If I do have to go out afterward (rarely happens) then I would take a quick shower before bed. But normally I schedule garden work so that it's the last non-indoor thing I do on that day.

Bed linens get washed every 8 days in Hot water with an extra rinse cycle added. Pillowcases get changed midway (on the 4th day.) Blankets are all 100% cotton and they get washed in rotation since there is always more than one and it's a queen bed; only one of them can fit into the washer or dryer at a time. Hot water for those too. I never buy bed linens that cannot go into the washer; no down comforters or wool blankets for me.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:27 PM

532 posts, read 446,608 times
My wife and I took care of my Mom for her last 3 years and showering/bathing became an issue.
I feel indebted to my wife who rarely expressed any issues she had in caring for my Mom.

So it became my job to convince my Mom that she needed a shower and my my wife's job to assist her with that.
The last several months with increasing dementia and Parkinsons we hired an Aide to come once a week and help so we settled and bargained with my Mom for once a week bathing.

My Moms argument was "I'm really old and hardly move how bout you just dust me off once and while"

Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarstowC View Post
A long time ago, a dermatologist told me Irish Spring was about the worst DETERGENT you could use on your skin. He recommended a change to Ivory or Dove SOAP. I would think there are many more soaps on the market nowadays.
Well, I wouldn’t last long with your dermatologist. Ivory soap for me is the absolute worst. It turns my skin into a snow storm of itchy, itchy flakes. I can’t stand the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement