Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:13 AM

405 posts, read 257,313 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article in the doctor's office the other day. It was about Americans who are lured by the promise of comfortable retirement on a Social Security check, in Thailand. Many, it seems, fall prey to the tourist bar life and quickly squander their monthly checks, become alcoholics and get evicted from their rentals. According to this, there is a growing problem of homeless Americans who have made themselves destitute and don't have the means to return to the US and, having given up everything to move to Thailand, have no place to return to. I wonder if it is something that happens in other dream cheap retirement destinations as well, or is the article sensationalizing a not-so-common problem. The scene of the drunk ex-pat hugging the bar in an exotic locale is almost a movie cliche isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Couldn't this happen anywhere? I would never retire in Thailand because the culture is too different for me. Otherwise, drinking and gambling your money away can happen anywhere in the U.S., Europe, Central America and so on. How is retiring in Vegas any different?

Old 10-27-2018, 06:45 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Couldn't this happen anywhere? I would never retire in Thailand because the culture is too different for me. Otherwise, drinking and gambling your money away can happen anywhere in the U.S., Europe, Central America and so on. How is retiring in Vegas any different?
I agree. Every country has tourist bars, so I don't see how Thailand would be a special case. Also, not everybody drinks or hangs out in bars. Maybe they are saying that that's the only place they can find other ex-pats to hang out with, since the culture is so different from the US, but it seems sensationalized.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-27-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 06:51 AM

405 posts, read 257,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I agree. Every country has tourist bars, so I don't see how Thailand would be a special case.

Thailand has a reputation as a destination for low cost debauchery. Judging by the number of tourists who go strictly for that purpose, it seems likely that people (almost exclusively single retired men) would imagine that to be a dream retirement place.

Unlike staying home and squandering your retirement, Thailand has no safety nets if you do. So it is different being thousands of miles from home - old and broke.

Last edited by IWLC; 10-27-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 07:02 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
I happened upon a "Tourist" bar in Phnom Penh Cambodia. It was frequented by older whiskery white guys from Englsih countries and very young Cambodian Girls. I went there twice with a tourmate (it was down the street from our hotel) and we felt kinda out of place but we stayed cause it was a great street watching spot being on the corner of a lively street. I think the availability of young girls is an attraction for certain types of retired men. Out tour leader told us that because of the lack of opportunity for women we saw prostitution whereever we went in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Laos. I agree the culture is so different there its wouldn't be the ideal place to retire for most.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:18 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Thailand has a reputation as a destination for low cost debauchery. Judging by the number of tourists who go strictly for that purpose, it seems likely that people (almost exclusively single retired men) would imagine that to be a dream retirement place.

Unlike staying home and squandering your retirement, Thailand has no safety nets if you do. So it is different being thousands of miles from home - old and broke.
Not much sympathy from me on that front. If that's how they end up broke, they reap what they sow.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:33 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Lacking the discipline to do what one NEEDS to do versus what one WANTS to do, in retirement and pretty much everything else in life, is not something I'm willing to supply tax dollars to remedy. I think most everyone can sympathize with peoples' plights, but people also have to be accountable for their choices. And by people I mean everyone, not just select groups.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I don't think it's just retirees. Adherents of Tim Ferriss ("The 4 Hour Work Week") glommed onto the idea of moving to Thailand and making just enough money via the Internet to live on while lazing on the beach.

There are always people who are looking to get something for practically nothing, as well as those who never grow up. It doesn't surprise me when these folks fare poorly in retirement.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Yes, that story could have been written about any number of countries. The Philippines also come to mind. Thailand is the best example on mainland Asia due to the numerous military members who have spent time there and the low cost of living. I've been there a number of times with the military and places like Pattaya Beach have well over a hundred bars and steam houses that cater to tourists. One time I saw a huge (6' x 4') sign on the sidewalk warning American citizens not to engage in any underage sex as it would be prosecuted in the US, so that gives you an idea as to what kind of tourist goes there.

I agree about the culture being too different. I love Thai food, but I would never want to live there. Interesting place to visit, but there's no place like home.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
There are washed up older dudes who spend a lot of their time/livers/money at bars in Thailand because low-budget local chicks hang around trying to pick them up and score a husband. It's actually sad to see, these dudes ending up with some middle-aged woman with a 5th grade education and very little in common but whatever I'll try not to judge I think both sides know why they entered the relationship and what the benefits are.

However it's not an absolute. There are plenty of folks who retire in Thailand and enjoy the friendly people, good food, low cost of living, warm weather, fun atmosphere, etc. without ending up being one of the losers at the bar every day by 10:00 am. One could make a case there is more temptation in Thailand (most 75 year olds can't walk into a bar in USA and have 3-4 women yelling "hey handsome") but bottom line the problem is the retiree, not Thailand.

Another point = it's not all bars, and it's not everywhere. There are however known districts where most places have the bar girls hanging about and one doesn't have to go there.

Last edited by lieqiang; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement