Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:54 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on what you do.

Not all careers are ageist. Some actually reward age (real estate, accounting, medicine, law, etc).

I can't imagine not working. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So kind of you to worry about others.
You'd be surprised.

My opinion of traditional retirement comes from a much bigger framework that does indeed value the individual, vastly more so than most viewpoints. But it's hard to shake a lifetime of conditioning that convinced you "retirement" is the best darn years of your life.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You'd be surprised.

My opinion of traditional retirement comes from a much bigger framework that does indeed value the individual, vastly more so than most viewpoints. But it's hard to shake a lifetime of conditioning that convinced you "retirement" is the best darn years of your life.
We are happily retired. Yes these are the best darn years of our lives, complete with renewed marital bliss. They are the last years of our lives, and ours to do with as we wish. We even have rocking chairs on our deck, where we can see the sunrise over the mountains, while sipping our coffee. What a great place to expire.

Last edited by funisart; 02-13-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We are happily retired. Yes these are the best darn years of our lives, complete with renewed marital bliss. They are the last years of our lives, and ours to do with as we wish. We even have rocking chairs on our deck, where we can see the sunrise over the mountains, while sipping our coffe. What a great place to expire.

Hmmm, that does sound a lot more appealing than dying in some warehouse. Or draped over a desk. Years ago when I worked for Hughes we had a guy drop dead at his desk at work. That didn't look like a good way to go.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:14 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We are happily retired. Yes these are the best darn years of our lives, complete with renewed marital bliss. They are the last years of our lives, and ours to do with as we wish. We even have rocking chairs on our deck, where we can see the sunrise over the mountains, while sipping our coffee. What a great place to expire.
this is the last down with no do overs

Old 02-14-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Hmmm, that does sound a lot more appealing than dying in some warehouse. Or draped over a desk. Years ago when I worked for Hughes we had a guy drop dead at his desk at work. That didn't look like a good way to go.
maybe he liked what he does ... i am "officially retired " but do have a few gigs going on that i would do for free as a volunteer if i did not get paid . i would not mind dying performing anyone of the 3 things that i do that i enjoy and the fact i get paid to do them is a bonus

Old 02-14-2019, 02:39 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If we're unemployable in our 50s, but can reasonably expect to live into our 80s, our post-college working life may very well be shorter than our retired life. Ideally, we have to save enough in those relatively short working years to carry us through death. The math just isn't going to work for a lot of folks, even diligent savers.
Diligent savers aren't going to do well, either, since gubmint keeps debasing the money via inflation. Works great at hiding ever rising tax receipts and deficit spending, but [bleeps] the poor working stiff.
Any 'money token' investment is subject to devaluation, taxation, and confiscation.
The wiser option is to find some way to have long term cash flow independent of the financial powers.
Own a business and let someone else run it, once you get too old, for example.
Rental properties. Rooming house. Dental floss ranch.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 AM

for more than 30 years our market investments have exceeded inflation by almost 3x and that includes the lost decade for equities , 2008 , and and the dot com crash . that is using plain ole fidelity funds

Old 02-14-2019, 06:26 AM

535 posts, read 343,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In a general sense, this article strikes me as utter BS.

I'm 32. Maybe it's because I haven't had a real vacation (at least a week) since I started this job in 2016, but I'm just completely burnt out now.

I commute 52 miles roundtrip every day. Half of that is through the worst traffic in my region. I come in to work every day worried about being fired. Some software has been malfunctioning for a month now, and I got another team to get me what I need just yesterday. I don't have any control over the cause of this, but it's my neck that's on the chopping block because I am the most visible to the customer.

My personal life is a mess. I'll leave it at that.

I'm already burned out on rat race hell. No amount of articles will convince me that it's worthwhile if you're otherwise financially independent and can retire.
Save your money and be resolved that you will be replaced from time to time. My son has the same problem, and he is a computer engineer. He can see that when he hits 50, he may be unceremoniously "dumped."

He is only 34, unmarried, and has not purchased a house yet. He travels the world with his fiance. Luckily, he has listened to our advice and saved a lot for his future. He works from home...No traffic, no gas bills, etc. No security. These days, what job has security, anyway???

Save your money for a house and retirement. Pay off your house ASAP.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:54 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
Save your money and be resolved that you will be replaced from time to time. My son has the same problem, and he is a computer engineer. He can see that when he hits 50, he may be unceremoniously "dumped."

He is only 34, unmarried, and has not purchased a house yet. He travels the world with his fiance. Luckily, he has listened to our advice and saved a lot for his future. He works from home...No traffic, no gas bills, etc. No security. These days, what job has security, anyway???

Save your money for a house and retirement. Pay off your house ASAP.
I work for a large regional employer. On my immediate team of six, I'm the only one under 50. My manager and the director above her are both in their 50s. There are two teams under my manager - one guy is like 23, but he's in a very junior role, and there are two other guys are relatively close to my age. We have several people who are 60+ on teams.

The pure tech shops are much more likely to dump older people than a large corporation that happens to have a fairly large IT department. I wouldn't want to be a pure developer the older I get.

I had an interview with a coastal tech company a few years back and asked about how I felt about being managed by people younger than I was. I don't think I was even 30 then. Places with a culture like that will probably dump anyone over 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement