Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm using a personal trainer. In fact, to go to this gym, you have to have one. It's actually used mostly by those over 50.

It's called a Body Scan and the printout says "In Body" - it must cost the place money to get on it because they make me wait so often (month, 6 weeks, etc)

It was very eye opening. Even my husband is really into this training and walking. We have changed our eating habits quite a bit and do feel better.

The trainer seems to really know what he is doing. A week ago, he really worked us in the legs and upper arms and I was so sore. Then, the last time, more exercises for those areas and now, I'm not as sore.

After 5 weeks, I lost 5 pounds of real weight and lost 10 pounds of actual body fat (according to the machine).

I'm not going back on the machine until March 16th and I want to see an improvement in that energy level.

I see positive changes in my husband too which makes me really happy (for me and for him).
I see - it's a slightly more sophisticated body composition analysis - % fat, water, muscle - that then calculates your "energy level" based on that, your gender, and age?

So it's free but they make you make an appt.? Or you get them every so often since you're a member of the gym?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Agreed. Aging occurs regardless of our attempts to stop the process, or postpone it. It's in the natural order of things.

Can't say I'm crazy about some of the more unpleasant surprises that come with aging, but they are what they are.

A couple of days ago I had my annual in home health checkup. Nothing has really changed in the past year, except my 'mental state'. I was whining a bit about getting "old" and the doc just laughed. Asked me how was I going to prevent it and from the minute we're born we are on the path to death! How upbeat is that?? lol He was surprised that I only have one med...for my COPD...but disappointed that I hadn't got the shot for Shingles. I do get the pneumonia and flu shots but never did until I got diagnosed with COPD and don't want to take chances. He said that most of the people he sees are in worse shape than me so I guess I feel a little better about things. I am going through some situational depression and unsure about what to do about some things but this too shall pass. It always does.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
My back!

Old 02-20-2019, 11:19 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
A couple of days ago I had my annual in home health checkup. Nothing has really changed in the past year, except my 'mental state'. I was whining a bit about getting "old" and the doc just laughed. Asked me how was I going to prevent it and from the minute we're born we are on the path to death! How upbeat is that?? lol He was surprised that I only have one med...for my COPD...but disappointed that I hadn't got the shot for Shingles. I do get the pneumonia and flu shots but never did until I got diagnosed with COPD and don't want to take chances. He said that most of the people he sees are in worse shape than me so I guess I feel a little better about things. I am going through some situational depression and unsure about what to do about some things but this too shall pass. It always does.

Meds/me: 8

You:lucky

Old 02-20-2019, 09:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Meds/me: 8

You:lucky

I know and have always been extremely grateful and thankful for my good health. COPD might one day be the death of me but hopefully not for a long time.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile More like a wellness center/gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I see - it's a slightly more sophisticated body composition analysis - % fat, water, muscle - that then calculates your "energy level" based on that, your gender, and age?

So it's free but they make you make an appt.? Or you get them every so often since you're a member of the gym?
You have a personal trainer and pay per visit. I'm doing it for a year for sure. 8 visits are around $712 for both of us which really is not bad. That's a month. Two times a week. It's $89 for both of us (per visit) - one hour each time. It's my Christmas present to my husband. It's really my present for myself. I'm a great fan of the place.

You have an appointment with the trainer. You just can't walk in.

They do have all these awards on the walls.

My next one is scheduled for March 16th. The owner comes in and does it. You have a password and it's all set up. Actually pretty cool.

Our trainer is really starting with the basics and teaching us very slowly.

They only hires trainers with four year degrees in Exercise Science, Physiology and Kinesiology.

I deal with a lot of issues every day and I feel I am handling stress better.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I know and have always been extremely grateful and thankful for my good health. COPD might one day be the death of me but hopefully not for a long time.
I don’t know. They’re getting better at treating COPD and asthma and formulating new medications. I always assumed I would die of asthma but I’m not so sure any more. They’ve recently designated a subtype “eosinophilic asthma”, which means people who have it have too many eosinophils in their lungs. Apparently I qualify for the new medication (Fasenra) but getting approval from the insurance company is taking a long time.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
So I have this cyst at the back of my spine pressing on my sciatic nerve. It causes pain in my hips, and right at the base of my spine, sometimes down my legs.

Sometimes the pain is just sudden, staggering stabs in one hip or the other or in the center. Sometimes it hurts like hell in great rolling waves--I have to crouch to the floor into a fetal position wherever I am and wait for it to pass. I had been trying to figure out whether that particular crippling pain is triggered by something in particular. It often hit within the first hour after I awoke, but sometimes happened at other times.

Two Saturdays ago, I'm at Lowes looking at lighting. The pain hit me, engulfing.

The next day, I'm at The Home Depot looking at more lighting. The pain hit me again. And I figured out the trigger.

The trigger: Hyperextending my spine. When I craned my neck to look directly overhead, that hyperextension must compress the cyst with particular pressure against the sciatic nerve.

The thing is, it doesn't happen instantly. I don't feel pain beginning as I start to look upwards. It starts rolling in maybe half a minute after the triggering event.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So I have this cyst at the back of my spine pressing on my sciatic nerve. It causes pain in my hips, and right at the base of my spine, sometimes down my legs.
Synovial cyst? I had one at the base of my spine. They're most common in older adults.

Quote:
Sometimes the pain is just sudden, staggering stabs in one hip or the other or in the center. Sometimes it hurts like hell in great rolling waves--I have to crouch to the floor into a fetal position wherever I am and wait for it to pass. I had been trying to figure out whether that particular crippling pain is triggered by something in particular. It often hit within the first hour after I awoke, but sometimes happened at other times.

I had different but also painful symptoms. Had to devise a different way of getting out of bed, for example. Couldn't climb stairs, had to one-leg it. Could only walk slowly taking short strides. Spent a lot of time on the sofa with an ice pack on my lower back.

Will you have surgery?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Synovial cyst? I had one at the base of my spine. They're most common in older adults.

I had different but also painful symptoms. Had to devise a different way of getting out of bed, for example. Couldn't climb stairs, had to one-leg it. Could only walk slowly taking short strides. Spent a lot of time on the sofa with an ice pack on my lower back.

Will you have surgery?
Yes, surgery is scheduled. I saw an ortho surgeon first, then saw a neuro surgeon. They told me exactly the same thing: Remove the cyst, fuse the two vertebrae whose movement caused the cyst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement