Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 AM

732 posts, read 392,026 times

Advertisements

Who was the one-armed man and why is he so mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 10:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,325,980 times
Things from your childhood that would baffle younger people of today

I don't know if this would apply but I have never even talked to my children about this.

Air Raid Drills, if I recall it was the mid 1950's through about 1962 or so.

History Lesson, Fallout Can Be Fun, How the Cold War civil-defense programs became farce.

Even before the advent of the FCDA, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and other major cities were undertaking biweekly or monthly atomic air raid drills. Teachers, at a random moment, would order their students to “Drop!” and the children would crouch and bury their faces. New York City also spent $159,000 on 2.5 million identification bracelets, or dog tags, for students to wear at all times—with the unspoken purpose being that they would help distinguish children who were lost or killed in a nuclear explosion. Other cities followed.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...l-defense.html

Brings to mind this crazy film which was reminiscent of that time frame.

Blast from the Past (1999)

Adam Weber is the child of an eccentric inventor and his wife. Following a bomb scare in the 1960s that locked the Webers in their bomb shelter for 35 years, Adam Weber must venture out into Los Angeles and obtain food and supplies for his family. He meets Eve, who reluctantly agrees to help him out.
Fraser is great. It really seemed like he was brought up in a fallout shelter. His mannerisms were all from the sixties, and the way he acted was exactly on key. (snip) They embody their roles as people who have to live in the same space for 35 years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124298/

Old 04-01-2019, 11:14 AM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm 75, but I doubt that the elderly are the only people who like starched sheets.
I am 60 and I've never heard of anyone starching their sheets until this post.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:28 PM

1,227 posts, read 636,018 times
I used to get in trouble for sitting too close to the TV, now kids watch TV up close on their cell phones and tablets.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,625,679 times
The Hungarian Uprising: 1956

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fck...ndex=2&list=WL

Old 04-01-2019, 08:15 PM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
I used to get in trouble for sitting too close to the TV, now kids watch TV up close on their cell phones and tablets.
I was just thinking about that yesterday. We were told not to sit too close to color TVs "because of the radiation", and when my grandfather got terminal lung cancer, my mother and her brothers speculated it was because he fell asleep in front of the TV watching baseball too many times.

I was only thirteen when he died in 1972, but in the 1990s, I started having to administer asbestos removal contracts and track the costs for litigation against the asbestos manufacturers, and I had to take a class on what asbestos was and what it did to people who were exposed to it.

My grandfather was a plumber going back to the 1930s, and they used to wrap pipes in asbestos insulation up until the 1970s. The description of the tumors that form from asbestos sound just like what I remember them saying about my grandfather (hard tumors that would break a surgical saw in the operating room and that's why they couldn't remove them, for example) and I realized that was probably the cause of his cancer, not color TV.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 AM

198 posts, read 277,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Gas stations where, as soon as you drove up to the pump, an attendant would hurry out to ask how much gas you wanted. Then, while your tank was being filled, he'd wash your windows, check the air in your tires, adding air if necessary, and check your fluids, advising if any were low.

And remember when car batteries were located underneath the back bench seat? You'd life up the seat to add water to the battery cells.
I actually had this happen to me last week. It was a gas station that I passed many times but never stopped in. I will be stopping in the next time I pass it.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,458,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Taking this down a lightly different path:

In the 1950's, Crops failed on our small farm a couple of times and dad came close to losing the farm his parents had bought in their youth.

The local bank extended him for many months on a gentleman's handshake.

1. Find a bank that can do that in this computerized day and age.
2. What's a "gentleman's handshake" in today's world. Doubtful anyone under 50 knows ---
I remember watching my father sell two houses on a handshake.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Not only a "tent revival," but the "sawdust trail." No one alive is old enough to remember much of it.
I know what a tent revival is. However, what is a "saw dust trail"?

Your mention of "saw dust" did remind me of something, though. Does anyone remember Mom and Pop stores with wood floors that were covered with sawdust? And that smell of sawdust when you entered the store? I don't know why they did that, but I liked the smell.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know what a tent revival is. However, what is a "saw dust trail"?

Your mention of "saw dust" did remind me of something, though. Does anyone remember Mom and Pop stores with wood floors that were covered with sawdust? And that smell of sawdust when you entered the store? I don't know why they did that, but I liked the smell.

Good one! I remember that, also restaurants with peanut shells on the floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement