Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:08 PM

732 posts, read 391,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Another advantage to owning a house with a big garage, I guess.
For most of my stuff, it would have to hold either 18 or 60+ people. I can't imagine what the noise would be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,672 times
I played semi pro as a younger man. I had to walk away from it, as a wife, life, children, and work trumped that lifestyle. I have always said in the back of my mind, that one day, when my responsibilities "lessen" I will get back into playing seriously. Like Mathjack, I too would take lessons from the best, to get back into fighting form.
And yes, music HAS changed. Where did all the Jack Bruce's, Chris Squires, Geddy Lee's, Flea's, Jaco's go???? Now its just 4 on the floor, lock step. Still I think there is room to grow as a musician.
Dreams, "drive you when your down".

Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Heh - well I tried the "band" thing last year but it was't for me - too many egos, problems getting together, disagreements, etc. So now, I have become a ONE WOMAN BAND! lol! Yes, I am a singer of all styles of music and I accompany myself on a "backing keyboard" - that is a keyboard where I play regular piano with my right hand and the left controls my "accompaniment" which is rhythm and band sounds. it is awesome - it does whatever I want, doesn't talk back and is there for me when I need it. I am not "out" yet, but soon. I plan to do the senior circuit in my area - assisted livings etc, there are a lot where I live.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile This is totally awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
At age 60, that's what this amazing Russian did, and he and his pals don't even speak English.

And be sure to pick an easy band to cover, like Chicago (LOL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJzlHBN3BT4

Chicago has always been my favorite band, but never heard a cover before. Quite the undertaking! I think these guys are better than the original.

Mostly older guys, but there's Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory) on trumpet.
Wow, they were great!!

Love Chicago. Timeless.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Saw EWF and Chicago also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
About ten years ago, I saw a "Chicago" and "Earth, Wind and Fire" performing together. It was wonderful.
2006 Saw Chicago and Earth Wind & Fire in West Palm Beach - they were excellent!

One of the best concerts - they were under cover; we were not but everyone stayed. It rained. It was that good.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:45 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
You know, if you simplified those thoughts, found a rhyme or two, and added a really rocking beat, you'd have a cool song.

Here's what I really wish would happen in the world of music: some of you will write really rocking songs about the experience of seniors. There has to be more we can sing about than just adolescent love.

Our music spoke to us when we were in our 20s, it guided us through much of life. That rocking sound and feel of the 60s and 70s is still part of us, so why can't Steve Miller or some of the other musicians still touring our there write new songs that speak to us about the experience of senior years? Or.... one of you? And I mean songs that rock, songs that really say something.

If there can be ten thousand songs about how breaking up is hard to do, surely there can be a few rocking tunes about how walking with a bad knee can be hard to do. Social Security could be every bit the inspiration for angry anthems as war was. You want interesting love songs? How about the love of life that you discover after you stop working? There are so many aspects to growing older that should be expressed, and not in some drippy song, but in a song that rocks!

I challenge all you musicians to start adding a few songs you write to your line-up. There's a lot of us out there still buying music, you might even have a hit on your hands.
Oh, God no, boys and girls. What you'd get is definitely drippy songs and songs about getting up so many times during the night to avoid it. Sing about the sun rising every day and still finding new things to experience just like anybody of any age but leave the medical tales of woe alone - we know it's out there but we don't need to give it so much recognition.

On a more positive, er...note, I clicked to hear which Chicago song another poster was referring to (not a personal favorite) but it was followed on YouTube by a little jam band performance of Stairway led by Heart at the Kennedy Center a few years ago. Pretty decent job by a bunch of people who don't play together often.

Last edited by kokonutty; 03-30-2019 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is exactly what i did in a way .......

i started out as a pro drummer back in the 1970's ... i did not want to tour anymore and hated the business so much i gave up playing for 35 years ....

i never taught my kids and just went cold turkey.. my dad had been a pro drummer as well ..

well when i retired my wife said you bang on everything you touch , why not at least get a set of pads or electronic drums ... i resisted but finally i said okay i will try it ..

well that was 3 years ago .... little did she know it was going to be like giving a recovered druggie drugs ... not only have i not put the sticks down since but i am obsessed with drumming ..

she created a monster , plus she somehow hooked me up with a very famous drummer to be my coach ...

so i live and breath drums and put hours a day in ....

but wait it gets better ... i ran in to the leader of a very popular group with millions in records sold who i was associated with in the 1970's , on facebook ..

as luck had it they are putting together their 50th anniversary tour this summer and asked if i would sit in on some sets , so i said sure .....

if my wife does not kill me by then because of all the time and money i have put in to my drumming at this stage it should be a lot of fun . plus now she has to go buy some groupie outfits .
If you don't tell me when and where you will be in Las Vegas I will be supremely p1ssed!

Yes?

Old 03-31-2019, 12:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Interesting comments about not passing along music to children.

My father played in the Big Bands in the twenties. Right before the Great Depression. One group was Cato's Vagabonds.

Top left. He played every instrument except the piano.

As a child playing music was never encouraged. If nothing else it was discouraged. We never knew why.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:57 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I played semi pro as a younger man. I had to walk away from it, as a wife, life, children, and work trumped that lifestyle. I have always said in the back of my mind, that one day, when my responsibilities "lessen" I will get back into playing seriously. Like Mathjack, I too would take lessons from the best, to get back into fighting form.
And yes, music HAS changed. Where did all the Jack Bruce's, Chris Squires, Geddy Lee's, Flea's, Jaco's go???? Now its just 4 on the floor, lock step. Still I think there is room to grow as a musician.
Dreams, "drive you when your down".
Bass players are a funny breed. You never know where talent hides.

Years ago, when I lived in South Africa, I went to see a local blues band and they smashed it as a group. Great singer, band was tight. After a break, a pretty little black girl singer came out of the kitchen and sang "Summertime" after the first set. I wanted to marry her after hearing her sing, (but my wife was sitting next to me).
Only low point was the guitar player had an attitude. He had an old tele straight into some vintage Fender amp and thought he was God's gift to music. He was fairly good, but played predictable riffs (Stevie Ray Vaghan channeling Robin Trower through his chorus effect pedal on every guitar solo. Meh.)

The bass player was the big surprise to me. Huge older black guy, so fat his bass sat flat on his belly. I looked at it, some cheap Squier bass, played through a cheap Peavey solid state amp the size of a postage stamp. He was locked into the bottom, and in the pocket, but I figured him a pick up player for the gig. Yet he played with a big grin on his face. Happy guy!

On the break he started to noodle, and he sounded wonderful, even on that cheap rig. I went up and asked him, "Is that Victor Wooten?" He looked at me, "Yep, A show of hands." We talked a bit, turns out he was a session player that had recorded a bunch of stuff that had gone big internationally, and had toured with some bigger known groups.

I asked him why he was in some Pretoria backwater pub playing to 15 people, eating pasta. He told me "Because its still fun man!". Some monster talent playing "4 on the floor" riffs, and still digging it. He looked he still enjoyed it. I certianly enjoyed listening.

I played guitar for 20 years before picking up a bass. I now love how a bass sits in the mix, and how it contributes to the song, without being out front. I find no reason to challenge things in a technical way, I just dig playing. Have fun and play! Challenge yourself, but just have some fun also!

Old 03-31-2019, 05:44 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Oh, God no, boys and girls. What you'd get is definitely drippy songs and songs about getting up so many times during the night to avoid it. Sing about the sun rising every day and still finding new things to experience just like anybody of any age but leave the medical tales of woe alone - we know it's out there but we don't need to give it so much recognition.

No drippy songs allowed! We'll make it a law, any songs about medical conditions must rock. Or at the very least be good humored in the way "Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover" can be about a break up without being drippy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement