Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 PM

106,872 posts, read 109,133,761 times

Advertisements

We have tickets to see Chicago in June. Not many original guys left ..the drummer retired too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 PM

701 posts, read 695,998 times
Mathjak107, I am 73 and still playing music. I started playing in 1963 in high school. I play 50's rock & roll but down in Louisiana, we call it Swamp Pop. Some people call it Gulf Coast music. We played Otis Redding, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and local music. We were based in Lafayette and played a 150 mile radius. The band I played with was a nine piece band. The band consisted of 5 horns, key board, lead guitar, bass and drums. That band broke up 3 or 4 years ago and now I do fill in work. Not as busy as I once was but that is ok. My bones are starting to ache after a gig. Not as young as I used to be. If I knew how to post a sound track I would do it.

Last edited by tramp; 03-29-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 08:57 PM

357 posts, read 226,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We have tickets to see Chicago in June. Not many original guys left ..the drummer retired too
Yes, I was sorry to see Tris leave Chicago. He was with Honk when I first went to their concerts in SoCal,
but I really enjoyed his years with Chicago. I saw him last summer with Kenny Loggins.

I’ll be seeing Chicago this July. I’ve seen them in concert several times.

Another favorite drummer is John Cowsill, from his time in his family band to the past few years with the
Beach Boys.

I was in band in jr. High and high school, and I always have favored the drum section.

We live not far from a high school, and hearing the drum cadences at halftime during football games, drifting across our backyard, still puts a smile on my face.

I’d also be interested in hearing who you’re playing with. I’ve seen a couple of bands I thought it might but kept forgetting to ask.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,259,738 times
Smile 3 left

Quote:
3 of the originals left
Danny Seraphine (original drummer) was fired in 1990.
(He now has a band CTA).

Saw Chicago with REO last summer. They were amazing. Sat 2nd row.
I've seen them over 20 times. Just love them.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:35 PM

732 posts, read 391,948 times
Quote:
They should probably hire those Ukrainian guys on youtube who do the Chicago covers to open for them.

On second thought, it's probably too dangerous.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I did see Chicago in real life for free, one of my companies paid for it. Maybe it was 20 years ago.
About ten years ago, I saw a "Chicago" and "Earth, Wind and Fire" performing together. It was wonderful.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:42 AM

106,872 posts, read 109,133,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
Mathjak107, I am 73 and still playing music. I started playing in 1963 in high school. I play 50's rock & roll but down in Louisiana, we call it Swamp Pop. Some people call it Gulf Coast music. We played Otis Redding, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and local music. We were based in Lafayette and played a 150 mile radius. The band I played with was a nine piece band. The band consisted of 5 horns, key board, lead guitar, bass and drums. That band broke up 3 or 4 years ago and now I do fill in work. Not as busy as I once was but that is ok. My bones are starting to ache after a gig. Not as young as I used to be. If I knew how to post a sound track I would do it.
physically i find i am better than ever playing ...i get great technical training today from a fabulous coach and put in far more time today to pad work then i did in my teens and twenties ...

but mentally at age 66 i find the difference is processing time ...in the old days anything that popped in my head would translate to my hands and feet instantly ... today there is like a delay in processing times so on the fly stuff requires a lot more thought and effort so i try to avoid it.

so i need to know exactly what it is i want to do and when ...

also a big difference is back in the days of old , much of drumming was what we called layered drumming ... that is where most of the time the limbs were coming down together . today drumming has turned what we call linear ... most of the beats or grooves as we call them have no two limbs hitting at the same time ...
everything has a place in time different from any other limb . plus in order to get the note placement right many times you need to count so you can drop the hits in the pocket .. counting out loud can be like a 5th appendage as it interferes with the processing of the arms and legs .. so needless to say it is a workout and more mentally challenging ...

Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,123,884 times
Quote:

i find the difference is processing time ...in the old days anything that popped in my head would translate to my hands and feet instantly ...

Quote:

so i need to know exactly what it is i want to do and when ...

Quote:

everything has a place in time different from any other limb ..

You know, if you simplified those thoughts, found a rhyme or two, and added a really rocking beat, you'd have a cool song.

Here's what I really wish would happen in the world of music: some of you will write really rocking songs about the experience of seniors. There has to be more we can sing about than just adolescent love.

Our music spoke to us when we were in our 20s, it guided us through much of life. That rocking sound and feel of the 60s and 70s is still part of us, so why can't Steve Miller or some of the other musicians still touring our there write new songs that speak to us about the experience of senior years? Or.... one of you? And I mean songs that rock, songs that really say something.

If there can be ten thousand songs about how breaking up is hard to do, surely there can be a few rocking tunes about how walking with a bad knee can be hard to do. Social Security could be every bit the inspiration for angry anthems as war was. You want interesting love songs? How about the love of life that you discover after you stop working? There are so many aspects to growing older that should be expressed, and not in some drippy song, but in a song that rocks!

I challenge all you musicians to start adding a few songs you write to your line-up. There's a lot of us out there still buying music, you might even have a hit on your hands.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:58 AM

701 posts, read 695,998 times
I failed to mention in my last post that I am a bass player. In the "old days" my bass weighted close to 13 pounds therefore causing problems in my left shoulder, so I cherish the slow down. The wife is also glad for the slow down as we now take road trips whereas I could not before because of commitments.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,791,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
About ten years ago, I saw a "Chicago" and "Earth, Wind and Fire" performing together. It was wonderful.
We have that DVD in our collection too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement