Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

More. The cost of everything here is insane. I'm lucky to have $10 in the bank at the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
which is why i always say don't go by these silly mantras like 85% of your working income ...when those checks end that game is over .

see what you have and then back in to the life it buys .

Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
which is why i always say don't go by these silly mantras like 85% of your working income ...when those checks end that game is over .

see what you have and then back in to the life it buys .
I thought it was silly too, 70% of when you were working. Now I’m spending close to it and no savings either.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
For the first year or two after retiring, we were spending heavy (mainly money made on the sale of a home) then we settled down and started spending less than our income. My wife passed 3.5 years ago. I have had to go into some money set aside but we knew I would need do such to the loss of her income so it was planned on. Other than RMD's I still have not touched my IRA's and at age 77, I doubt I may ever need them.

I have a good life. I deny myself nothing but my tastes/desires are simple. I have no debt (nada, nothing) and can easily live comfortably within my income.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
For the first year or two after retiring, we were spending heavy (mainly money made on the sale of a home) then we settled down and started spending less than our income. My wife passed 3.5 years ago. I have had to go into some money set aside but we knew I would need do such to the loss of her income so it was planned on. Other than RMD's I still have not touched my IRA's and at age 77, I doubt I may ever need them.

I have a good life. I deny myself nothing but my tastes/desires are simple. I have no debt (nada, nothing) and can easily live comfortably within my income.
good for you --enjoy your life as best as you can .it sounds like financially you are just fine

Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Our cost of living is lower, because we moved to a lower cost of living area, but we spend more. Most fixed expenses went down especially house, car and health insurance. We upsized our home but pay less property tax and utilities. The first year we spent a huge amount because we totally remodeled our retirement home.

We have more spendable income now than we did before retirement, because we were “super savers.” We are enjoying our home and the surrounding areas so much, and we welcome so many visitors to stay with us, that we haven’t traveled as much as we originally planned. Though we never miss a chance to visit our kids, whether at their home or meeting them in some interesting town for a week of fun. We continue to collect art. We dine out more, and have a few new charities, so we definitely are spending more now.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Some things are less, some are more. Less on food, gas, clothing. More on medical and some household expenses. But, a lot less on maintaining the yard now.

Entertainment/hobbies is going to be an interesting one to track. Right now it appears to be about the same. We spent more on getting new equipment for new activities, but at the same time we're now doing a lot of things like pickbleball and yoga through our HOA, so we aren't paying for classes now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
^^^I forgot utilities. That bill was cut in half after we moved.
The question wasn't on what individual items you are spending more or less on in retirement; you need to look at your spending on a macro rather than micro level. Are your overall expenditures higher or lower in retirement?

For us, the answer is simple: they are much, much higher. And why wouldn't they be? We're in spending mode now, not saving mode.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:35 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Less - I used to shop a lot - food, clothes, entertainment etc. And i always had a new vehicle

Now I just buy groceries and my car is over 11 years old. Leading the simple life and enjoying it.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The question wasn't on what individual items you are spending more or less on in retirement; you need to look at your spending on a macro rather than micro level. Are your overall expenditures higher or lower in retirement?

For us, the answer is simple: they are much, much higher. And why wouldn't they be? We're in spending mode now, not saving mode.

most people you see here list all their BILLS most of which are non discretionary and call that their retirement budget ...

i can say in our case that list accounts for only about 1/2 our spending .. much of our spending is non discretionary , not on the list and yet in life it comprises as much in dollars as the list with all our bills

Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
I've been retired since 2006 and have always spent less, but it varies considerably as to what I'm spending $$ on. A large amount of what I spend is based upon choice, not necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement