Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:37 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

for spousal on the phone they spoke to first my wife , then confirmed some things with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 03:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Spousal benefits...the fleecing of America. Enjoy folks.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:55 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Spousal benefits...the fleecing of America. Enjoy folks.
I hear you although imo you stated it more than a bit strongly. SS spousal benefits are a miniscule part of govt spending.
It's important to understand that the benefits are part of a contract made in a different time, when married women weren't expected to work but more importantly those who did work barely earned enough to qualify for minimum benefits.

Many/most of today's seniors are retiring under assumptions & contracts made under those circumstances.

That said, circumstances evolve and yes, it's time for spousal benefits to go. They're now more a loophole than a benefit. The loophole is closing albeit not as fast as it should.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I hear you although imo you stated it more than a bit strongly. SS spousal benefits are a miniscule part of govt spending.
It's important to understand that the benefits are part of a contract made in a different time, when married women weren't expected to work but more importantly those who did work barely earned enough to qualify for minimum benefits.

Many/most of today's seniors are retiring under assumptions & contracts made under those circumstances.

That said, circumstances evolve and yes, it's time for spousal benefits to go. They're now more a loophole than a benefit. The loophole is closing albeit not as fast as it should.
they alter these "agreements and perks all the time " ... they just did when they did away with file and suspend , restricted application as well as the ability to pay back ss at any point and restart later. these perks don't come out of general tax funds either so gov't spending is irrelevant ..

Old 04-20-2019, 06:51 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Question. I filed for spousal at my FRA age 66. I will be filing on my own SS when I turn 70 on December 31. Im thinking about contacting them in September. Any tricks or tips I should be aware of. For example should I chose January 1 instead of December 31.

Also this scenario probably wont affect a lot of you but just incase. My husband is two years younger than me but because he receives SSDI I was able to take spousal at my FRA even though he wasn't at his FRA yet. According to SS he was considered to be at FRA when they calculated my spousal benefits since his SSDI benefit is equal to his FRA benefit amount. Might work for other things too. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Question. I filed for spousal at my FRA age 66. I will be filing on my own SS when I turn 70 on December 31. Im thinking about contacting them in September. Any tricks or tips I should be aware of. For example should I chose January 1 instead of December 31.

Also this scenario probably wont affect a lot of you but just incase. My husband is two years younger than me but because he receives SSDI I was able to take spousal at my FRA even though he wasn't at his FRA yet. According to SS he was considered to be at FRA when they calculated my spousal benefits since his SSDI benefit is equal to his FRA benefit amount. Might work for other things too. Wouldn't hurt to check.
Yes, contact SS early. I started my age 70 claim on-line, switching from Survivor's. Was then called for phone interview. Had to email copy of one document (military DD214).

They will offer you option of getting 6 months retroactive lump sum (that makes for a slightly lower monthly rate).

Stay with the Dec date. At age 70, the issue re switching sometime between FRA and 70 does not apply. You should get 1st payment in Jan for the whole month of Dec. SS does not prorate (Mine was Sept payment for Aug birth date). Payment date may change to 4th Wednesday of month.

If on Medicare, your card number may change (not sure if they still do this with the new cards)

FWIW, they did make a mistake in my first payment. It was for FRA amount, not age 70) Had to file an appeal , which quickly fixed the error, and got back pay.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Turning 66 in a few months as well, and when I did call regarding the spousal/restricted (DH began collecting after his FRA ) I was told i could do it all online. Now you have me wondering. I guess I will try calling again next week.
This is my current and only spouse. LOL

Old 04-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Turning 66 in a few months as well, and when I did call regarding the spousal/restricted (DH began collecting after his FRA ) I was told i could do it all online. Now you have me wondering. I guess I will try calling again next week.
This is my current and only spouse. LOL
i saw no place on line to do it except to be able to print out and snail mail the form ... then they call you for a phone conversation .

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2-bk.pdf

Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes, contact SS early. I started my age 70 claim on-line, switching from Survivor's. Was then called for phone interview. Had to email copy of one document (military DD214).

They will offer you option of getting 6 months retroactive lump sum (that makes for a slightly lower monthly rate).

Stay with the Dec date. At age 70, the issue re switching sometime between FRA and 70 does not apply. You should get 1st payment in Jan for the whole month of Dec. SS does not prorate (Mine was Sept payment for Aug birth date). Payment date may change to 4th Wednesday of month.

If on Medicare, your card number may change (not sure if they still do this with the new cards)

FWIW, they did make a mistake in my first payment. It was for FRA amount, not age 70) Had to file an appeal , which quickly fixed the error, and got back pay.
My card number changed when I switched from spousal to my own benefit. This was about two years ago.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post

You will find this much easier than your original benefit application. All the needed info is in the system and verified along with your current banking system. Was very easy when I did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement