Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,403,859 times

Advertisements

I laughed out loud when I looked at our mail today - three Medicare Advantage insurance offers, an AARP ad, another for hearing aids, one for dental implants, two free dinner finance seminars and finally, one for crematorium services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 11:59 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,986,931 times
Sounds about right.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 PM

905 posts, read 670,055 times
Hubby turned 64 on Sunday. The mail brought a letter that was labeled the Final Countdown, for Medicare supplements.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,044 times
My husband died in November, 2016. I finally had to write to some of the places that needed to update their mailing lists,including the local retirement community, which invited him to a "Gentlemen's Beer Tasting", and AAA Life Insurance ("We guarantee you will not be turned down").

I don't get the mailings from the expensive hearing aid places since we downsized to a less-prosperous Zip Code. Sme for the "free gourmet dinners".

I believe we have the DMV to thank for selling mailing lists of people in their target age bracket.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,977,311 times
our group used to "sign up" our friends who just turned 40 for AARP and the rest as "birthday cards".
we even paid for a one-year membership for some of them. the guys we signed up thought it was funny.
not the girls. we kept on until everyone reached 40.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 28,616 times
Did you get a Fingerhut magazine yet?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 PM

705 posts, read 563,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I laughed out loud when I looked at our mail today - three Medicare Advantage insurance offers, an AARP ad, another for hearing aids, one for dental implants, two free dinner finance seminars and finally, one for crematorium services.
I get those constantly. If they send a prepaid envelope to me I write a note back to them asking to removed saying I died and don't need their services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird57 View Post
Did you get a Fingerhut magazine yet?
Yep

Old 04-30-2019, 02:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,258,716 times
Smile Funny story since you mentioned 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
our group used to "sign up" our friends who just turned 40 for AARP and the rest as "birthday cards".
we even paid for a one-year membership for some of them. the guys we signed up thought it was funny.
not the girls. we kept on until everyone reached 40.
This was close to 20 years ago. One of our neighbors' wives turned 40; no one knew; she was gorgeous; two tween girls; really nice family.

Anyway, her husband put these black things over all their trees and posted signs in the neighborhood stating "I'm XXX. Call me. I'm 40 today"

Needless to say, she was not happy with him. (They are still married). The rest of us were shocked - thinking 40 was "so old" and shocked she was really 40.

I would love to go back to those days.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,606,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I get a couple a month, advising me on the wisdom of planning ahead and pre-paying for my cremation. Is there some penalty for not planning ahead on that one? They never indicate whether the charge includes the prepatory grinding.

And here's a story about being on a lifetime sucker list: When I was 11, a private company came around and offered the schools free hearing tests for all students. They had an electronic box, with wired headphones for all the students. They did a preliminary series, at full volume, to see if all the equipment worked. My headphones were completely dead and I told them so. The testers told me they'd checked all the headphones and that mine were working perfectly. So when the test sounds were sent out, I was unable to fill in a form with the information of what I would have heard.

But those tests were not really free. The company made its money by selling lists of students who failed the hearing tests. Apparently they boosted their income by sabotaging some of the headphones, so they could put more names on the list. Incidentally, I had and still do, hearing as sharp as a ******* cat's. Within a week, I received solicitations in the mail for hearing aids. This has never stopped and those mailings have followed me to all changes of address. The local companies say they have nothing to do with the mailings, that they are issued by the national offices. Once you get on those sucker lists, they never take you off, no matter how much you protest.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
I often get mail telling me I need better car insurance which is funny because I've never owned a car in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement