Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I get a lot of mail from them, too. I will never join because I do not agree with their politics.
My mom died in 2012, and for years I kept getting forwarded mail from the Republican Party asking to sign petitions, give them money, etc. Mom was somewhat to the right of the Kaiser, while I'm left-centrist. I'd get the occasional call from the Party and I'd tell them mom was no longer with us and please remove her from their list. "Nevertheless, they persisted." I mentioned this to a friend, and he suggested his tactic when dealing with unwanted mail - since it's a postage-paid return envelope (altho they ask to use a stamp to save $), he'd carefully fill the envelope with sand or gravel and seal it real well with packing tape. This meant that the organization would have to pay extra for the heavier return mail. I carefully packed enough gravel in the next Republicans' return envelope. Never heard from them again. I'd like to think it was cause and effect rather than coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I have a PO box and most of the mail goes right into the PO recycle bin. Only things that come home with me that I would other wise recycle, are CC/banking mail. Gets burned in the fireplace at home.

I am on the charity lists (I do donate to some) but most of what I donate to are humanitarian relief, and now I get one from Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. I thought the Rockefellers were taking care of that.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:47 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
My mom died in 2012, and for years I kept getting forwarded mail from the Republican Party asking to sign petitions, give them money, etc. Mom was somewhat to the right of the Kaiser, while I'm left-centrist. I'd get the occasional call from the Party and I'd tell them mom was no longer with us and please remove her from their list. "Nevertheless, they persisted." I mentioned this to a friend, and he suggested his tactic when dealing with unwanted mail - since it's a postage-paid return envelope (altho they ask to use a stamp to save $), he'd carefully fill the envelope with sand or gravel and seal it real well with packing tape. This meant that the organization would have to pay extra for the heavier return mail. I carefully packed enough gravel in the next Republicans' return envelope. Never heard from them again. I'd like to think it was cause and effect rather than coincidence.
Political parties are a real problem. I regret now that I ever donated to one. They spent more on requests for additional funds than I ever donated each year. This is not an efficient use of my money. I too made numerous requests for them to stop calling me. The donations have stopped, but the calls and mailings have continued. I even voted an issues only ballet last May, hoping that they would just go away.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Sounds about right.
SO true! Mine began when I turned 55. I take them right to my paper recycling bin along with the other sales ads the USPS insists in shoving in my mailbox every Tuesday.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:38 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
I always advise people that when they administer an estate, or have to settle a parent's, to get a p.o. box and have that mail sent to it. When the estate has closed, close the box with no forwarding address. I neglected to do that when my mother died and I handled everything. I had her mail forwarded to me, and 6 years later I am still getting mail addressed to her or my dad (who died 8 years ago). When my FIL died, we rented a box. Never got a piece of mail addressed to him.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I am so tired of getting AARP mail trying to get us to renew a membership or buy life insurance that I have decided I WILL NOT under any circumstances buy supplemental health insurance through AARP when the time comes. They must spend a LOT of money on marketing. They send mail to me and to my husband, both at home and to our PO Box. LEAVE ME ALONE!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
I get a lot of mail from them, too. I will never join because I do not agree with their politics.
My husband said that as well until it was time to get on medicare. They had the cheapest secondary insurance around and you had to join to get it. He won't read the magazine though ;-)

Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Political parties are a real problem. I regret now that I ever donated to one. They spent more on requests for additional funds than I ever donated each year. This is not an efficient use of my money. I too made numerous requests for them to stop calling me. The donations have stopped, but the calls and mailings have continued. I even voted an issues only ballet last May, hoping that they would just go away.
It's not just political parties, I have donated in the past to various organizations on a death of a loved one and I continually get mail from them. This is ok maybe once or twice but they need to prune their lists at least once a year that if you don't donate again your name is removed. I used to get phone calls when I was in my late 40's and 50's from a local cemetery. One day I let them have it as to how annoying and creepy it was. I still get mail addressed to my fil who died in 1985. Both he and my husband have the same name but my fil was a junior so I know when it is addressed with jr after the name it was meant for my fil because my husband has never ever gone by jr. They even followed our change of address several times.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
The Medicare Advantage or as we call them, Let Us Take Advantage of You, mail never stop. They slowed somewhat after the deadline when our birthdates passed.

Dinner invitations for financial planning and one odd one for stem cell procedures have been in the mail.

The cut rate $895 cremations from the local crematorium are just postcards; short, sweet and to the point.

The car give-aways with a key that could start a car to win come fairly regular too.

When I see these things in the mail, I can’t help but hear Bugs Bunny’s voice in these pieces of mail saying “What a a dope, what a maroon!”. I hope I’m never gullible enough to fall for mail offers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8GGpYFmkYI

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-01-2019 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 12:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Avoid Medicare "Advantage" programs if you can. Just read the fine print. Research the options (varies from state to state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement