Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times

Advertisements

My wife and I spent three years checking out potential retirement locations. Part of this was actually living in some of the potential locations, moving around, living full time in our Rv. Our final decision is being put in motion tomorrow, we're headed for northern Wi.

We considered everything, col, taxes, weather, family proximity, health care services etc.

Now everyone uses different criteria, but my advice here is go slow. We met a lot of people and learned some made some very hasty decisions, made mistakes, and cost themselves a lot of money.

I'm also saying, live where you want to settle during the worst weather of the year. If you have alergy problems, stay during the worst of the alergy season in that location. There are lots of snow birds who cannot take the summer heat of Az. They are almost all gone now. Our location is like a ghost town compared to Jan, and there isnt much going on. So stay in Fl or Az for the summer if you're considering a permanent move south. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 AM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife and I spent three years checking out potential retirement locations. Part of this was actually living in some of the potential locations, moving around, living full time in our Rv. Our final decision is being put in motion tomorrow, we're headed for northern Wi.

We considered everything, col, taxes, weather, family proximity, health care services etc.

Now everyone uses different criteria, but my advice here is go slow. We met a lot of people and learned some made some very hasty decisions, made mistakes, and cost themselves a lot of money.

I'm also saying, live where you want to settle during the worst weather of the year. If you have alergy problems, stay during the worst of the alergy season in that location. There are lots of snow birds who cannot take the summer heat of Az. They are almost all gone now. Our location is like a ghost town compared to Jan, and there isnt much going on. So stay in Fl or Az for the summer if you're considering a permanent move south. Good luck.
Every once in a while some new member on C-D starts an OP request for help. Starts off about how much "research" they did on a place before moving there. Then how horrible it is and how desperate they are to move away. They were shocked at how hot it gets in AZ, how cold it gets in NY, how humid it gets in FL, how expensive CA is, how dry NV is, how bad the taxes, traffic, crime, schools, entertainments, shopping, or job opportunities are. etc. Really makes you wonder what mysterious information sources they managed to dig up.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,734,114 times
It is also worth remembering that "you have to take yourselves along". From my own knowledge of retirement moves by family and friends, a happy retirement depends more on your personality and the health of your relationships with your spouse family and friends than it does on your location. Research and planning a retirement move doesn't change that.

I retired to the same place where I worked and lived for the 20 years previous to my retirement.

The "Great Escape" is often oversold.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,118,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It is also worth remembering that "you have to take yourselves along". From my own knowledge of retirement moves by family and friends, a happy retirement depends more on your personality and the health of your relationships with your spouse family and friends than it does on your location. Research and planning a retirement move doesn't change that.

I retired to the same place where I worked and lived for the 20 years previous to my retirement.

An absolutely great and valuable post!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,084,972 times
I admit I never understood why the high percentage of people that up and move to an extreme deviation from where they worked or lived most of their life are then shocked they don’t like it. It’s perfectly understandable (to me) to hate having to live long winters, and wanting a nicer climate (or brutal heat and want a more temperate one), but to move from say Michigan to Az has got to be a shock on so many fronts, and not just weather. People and attitudes are often radically different.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:25 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,119,905 times
Quote:

True words, indeed. We ended up making the opposite choice, deliberately choosing to move to a very different place. But like you, we did so after spending time researching the area, thinking about what we really needed in a retirement community and getting to know a few local people (through social media, reading local newspapers, and making a few visits). And we chose a place because it was right for us (not because it was on some list as someone else's idea of a good place to retire). Renting for a year can be a smart move (although, to be honest, we didn't bother with that step. We had visited enough times that we felt we knew the area we moved to.)

At the other extreme, you have the retirees who develop Analysis Paralysis. Some people can scare themselves from enjoying this new chapter in their life because they constantly stress over "What if I'm not doing it RIGHT? What if I'm not in the PERFECT place?" If you're trying too hard, do yourself a favor and remember that no place will be perfect.

Happiness lies somewhere between those two extremes.

Choosing a place to retire can be like choosing your spouse. The hunt is fun! Eventually, pick a place. Retirement isn't a race, you can take all the time you wish. If you do decide to move, don't worry if it's perfect (because it won't be), and give yourself time to adjust (odds are you will).

Whatever you do, decide to be happy. Some people seem to enjoy complaining. Whatever floats your boat, but that seems like a good way to make yourself miserable. Plus like attracts like. If you want pleasant, positive people in your life, be one. If you want complainers in your life, be one. If you can decide to enjoy yourself wherever you are, you'll attract other people who love the area, too.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 05-01-2019 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,302,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
True words, indeed. We ended up making the opposite choice, deliberately choosing to move to a very different place. But like you, we did so after spending time researching the area, thinking about what we really needed in a retirement community and getting to know a few local people (through social media, reading local newspapers, and making a few visits). Renting for a year can be a smart move (although, to be honest, we didn't bother with that step. We had visited enough times that we felt we knew the area we moved to.)

At the other extreme, you have the retirees who develop Analysis Paralysis. Some people can scare themselves from enjoying this new chapter in their life because they constantly stress over "What if I'm not doing it RIGHT? What if I'm not in the PERFECT place?" If you're trying too hard, do yourself a favor and remember that no place will be perfect.

Happiness lies somewhere between those two extremes. No place will be perfect.

Choosing a place to retire can be like choosing your spouse. The hunt is fun! Eventually, pick a place. Retirement isn't a race, you can take all the time you wish. If you do decide to move, don't worry if it's perfect (because it won't be), and give yourself time to adjust (odds are you will).

Whatever you do, decide to be happy. Some people seem to enjoy complaining. Whatever floats your boat, but that seems like a good way to make yourself miserable. I'd take the other approach and make an active choice to enjoy yourself wherever you are.
Agreed. Much of moving anywhere is being able to adjust and finding positives instead of dwelling on negatives. Everywhere will have both. It's up to you to find the glass half full instead of half empty.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:42 AM

30,434 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:

Very true, I moved numerous times to many locations around the world and this is so true, the quality of your relationships are going to be the overall biggest factor in your overall happiness but still the other factors such as climate, things to do, beauty, etc. are still going to affect your moods and happiness.

I agree with OP's advice to try out locations before significantly investing money, time, and life to moving there. The biggest factor is leaving your family and friends and how you deal with that in a move.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Whoa... I got nothing to add except for this Texas boy that sounds like an awfully cold place to live.

Good luck with your new life and move.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 AM

30,434 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Whoa... I got nothing to add except for this Texas boy that sounds like an awfully cold place to live.

Good luck with your new life and move.

Yeah for me northern Wisconsin sounds like the pit of despair but to each his own I guess. I've discovered that people often like what I consider to be the most horrible thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement