Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:39 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I will be retiring in mid-December of this year. My age will be 63-6 at time of retirement. The local SS Office is ~10 miles away so no hardship in making an In-Person appointment.

Is there any significant advantage to applying In-Person, or is On-Line filing nearly the same?

It's the same and it will save you a ten mile drive and 3 hours wait.

I filed online when I was 62.

Easy Peasey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 PM

58 posts, read 108,920 times
No matter how you did it, was there any question of how much money you make? I am 62 and looking at September / October, I have worked all year, will that income be in consideration when I file for benefits?

Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 PM

58 posts, read 108,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmitch79 View Post
No matter how you did it, was there any question of how much money you make? I am 62 and looking at September / October, I have worked all year, will that income be in consideration when I file for benefits?
Never mind, found my answer and I was confused about the money thing. It was about how much you can make before SS takes back your benefit. My question had nothing to do with the original subject. Sorry.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:05 PM

535 posts, read 343,585 times
It was easy for me online, but I had a small pension that affected my SS. For now they pay me the full amount as I am 63. Once my school district pension "kicks" in, they will deduct my "windfall" penalty. Someone called from the SS office and confirmed everything with me. Between the online SS site and the SS employee, all is well.
If you have to go to the SS office, find out when they open and get there an hour early to find a parking space and be one of the first in line. Remember to bring all of your paperwork, plus your pay stubs.

I have already started to receive my SS automatic deposits. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to start getting paid.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:29 AM

449 posts, read 195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
While I have an account online I will also make an appointment with a counselor when I get closer to 62.

I have heard from a few people that our local branch has people that are pretty knowledgeable and more than willing to answer questions.

I have twins in tow heading into my retirement also.

OMG... God bless you... God bless you... (hand raised with palm down)... I can't keep up with the one... and you have twice the energy I assume....

Old 07-06-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I have two kids who both collect on my record (4&14). As we live in Peru (filed online) the whole process was easy (just had to bring birth certificates to the embassy). They, mistakenly offered it to my Wife, but I declined, as she does not reside in the USA and has no SS#)

You and your family are entitled to 150%-180% of your FRA. If your Wife qualifies, she is entitled to collect until your child is 16.

My Wife will probably start benefits when my oldest comes off in a few years. As far as I know it can be done online or with a phone call!

Does that mean I would still need to go to the SSA office to bring toddlers BC... ?

My DW has a SS# but she feels if she collects that it may show a negative output as she is trying to
sponsor her mother to immigrate here to the USA and feels it may reflect badly on the application. Any thoughts...?
Thank you for sharing your experience... most helpful !

Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
Does that mean I would still need to go to the SSA office to bring toddlers BC... ?

My DW has a SS# but she feels if she collects that it may show a negative output as she is trying to
sponsor her mother to immigrate here to the USA and feels it may reflect badly on the application. Any thoughts...?
Thank you for sharing your experience... most helpful !
I am sorry I can't be more helpful as the procedure may be different if you live overseas. You could probably just mail in photocopies?

I am in the process of getting a Visa for my Wife now (plan on moving to the USA,EOY). I left the kids SS income off the application in order to avoid complication. I do not know if in your Wife's case that would be a factor.

My MIL is my age (66) and asked my Wife if she could come, Wife and I had a good laugh! Curious, what your MIL will do for insurance?

Old 07-06-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I am sorry I can't be more helpful as the procedure may be different if you live overseas. You could probably just mail in photocopies?

I am in the process of getting a Visa for my Wife now (plan on moving to the USA,EOY). I left the kids SS income off the application in order to avoid complication. I do not know if in your Wife's case that would be a factor.

My MIL is my age (66) and asked my Wife if she could come, Wife and I had a good laugh! Curious, what your MIL will do for insurance?

Really haven't thought that far yet.... we have some issues with her birth certificate that needs to be remedied... Would Medicaid be an option for her after citizenship ?

Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmitch79 View Post
After a few checks, the SSA informed me that my benefit was recalculated and I got a raise. So, they will go back and recapture your final working months.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 PM

305 posts, read 241,499 times
I filed today online, it took me about 15 min. all easy questions. I enetered my bank info and in a few short months i will be getting mailbox money. Well they direct deposit it but I still like calling it mail box money. It was a very easy experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement