Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Bada Bing! I knew that and folks might want to read your post #407 in this thread where you said that. You have also said that many times over the years in here. In that time period you were not retired and were still adding new money to your portfolios. Some from work pre-tax and more post tax from real estate.
Your story is a much about managing wealth no matter how you get it and applying what you have learned from others to do that.
and lets not forget luck plays a roll too ... but you need the resources , creativity and drive or luck just passes right by
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
That $1.7 million must be a figure pulled from nowhere that assumes the retiree doesn't receive social security or any other pension.

Silly article that is useless.
How many people do you know that receive a pension?

Old 07-26-2019, 01:05 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if i had the 700k back then it would have been almost 2x that by 65 at the least plus everything else i would put in so yeah , if it got to 1.7m or greater i would have retired for sure..
Yeah, I was thinking 700k would have grown close to “the number”. With you getting age 65 SS, your wife getting age 67SS, the deceased ex-husbands 19k pension.....should have been plenty, even in NYC.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:07 PM

yeah we would have been fine .... the reality is we all make what we have work .... but as the thread here says we would have been fine on 1.7m ... we would have less choices in things but it would work .

my wife got beaten up bad in the dot com era ... she had no interest in financial stuff so left it to her husband ..when he died he dumped a pile of investments in her lap she did not understand .

so she went to the guy at her bank who she trusted and he loaded her up on tech and dot com stuff ... needless to say she lost 1/2 her money in that fiasco .

today she takes a big interest and i run every move by her .. she knows exactly what is what with or without me .

this is a big issue as 80% of all married men die married , but 80% of all married women die alone ...it is so important for them to know what is up .

Typically one spouse is the investor and steps up to the plate and the other steps back.

Not good ...... both should have an understanding and while one partner may like complex involved portfolios it really makes it hard if the other spouse ends up having to deal with it

i don't know if i mentioned it but her husband had multiple myeloma ... the same cancer as sam walton ... after contacting sam about the experimental work going on in a program he sponsored sam agreed to take on her husband ...sam spent over 1 million dollars on her husband and gave him another year of life . eventually both sam and her husband finally lost the battle .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-26-2019 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 01:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I live in a high cost of living area. Our goal is $5 million for retirement. When I hit 75 and we don't have the money we will end up selling our home and moving to a lower cost of living area. The goal though is to stay where we are now.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Mj’s a lot better looking than I pictured. Why is it we always assume the more educated, the geekier they look? But I digress.....
Ha ha ha , that’s funny ... I can’t get to geeky .... I am ramping up my drumming career again .. I don’t want to be a geeky drummer

Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How many people do you know that receive a pension?
In my case everyone my wife and I worked with along with many neighbors and friends. People with pensions usually know a lot of others with them especially in areas like the DC metro area.
I just recently spoke with a rep from a CCRC on the phone. They operated with a monthly fee instead of a buy in and she said that many of the residents there had pensions.
Many transplants to popular destinations have them also.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Mathjak, you looked young then.
16 years ago I was young lol

Old 07-26-2019, 02:23 PM

154 posts, read 92,795 times
I don't get this needing 1.7 Million for most to retire
DH worked Construction his entire life not earning nearly enough $ He often worked on projects at home.
I worked 20 hrs a wk, a traditional job w/ limited benefits for 20 yrs.
retiree package- $50 a mo.
drugs- $10/$20, Vision, Doctor visits $10 & $20, Dental to 1k yr.
Hospital (1x yr) and part b yearly deductible covered

We exist on $2415 a month easily but could exist on $1915 a mo. which is our combined SS.
I still save about 50% of my earnings each mo. with my dream job (two 12 hr shifts at min wage)

Sacrifices?
Mail 3x a wk
Dangerous curvy paved road to the nearest town w/a good family owned grocery store, restaurants, gas, doc, dentist, schools, insurance, library, vet & mom &pop stores, mechanics, etc
Moved 1 hr away from our family
See the same people- town of under 200 population
Criminals but they are a benefit too. Keeps the County away.
No homeowners policies written here so I do worry about a fire. We've set up a water system from one of our springs to water the house w/a metal roof)

Benefits?
Cleaner air & plenty of free water (springs)
Just enough tourists/vacation home owners during summer
Huge river below the house, a reserivor, hiking, biking, fishing, swimming, whitewater rafting, gold mining, boating.
No traffic lights or stop signs. Usually peaceful
One restaurant/bar/post office, vacant newer schoolhouse, tiny fire dept,
GREAT trails -hiking,. OHV/Motorcycle
It's a State Recreation area.
Our property is surrounded by BLM land
We raise a ton of meat chickens, and some as pets.
No need to fix hair, wear nice clothes
Surroundings in nature usually offer many free resources
We make our guests french toast for breakfast/lunch
We make quarts of homemade maple syrup for free.
A $40 one time cost for the cookware & spigot which goes into the maple trees
Our chickens lay eggs (we pay very little for their food, growing some, obtaining some free)
Make my own bread for about .25-.50 cents a loaf.
Guests take us out to dinner
Always asking where we'd like to go
We suggest a few different vegetarian restaurants

Many friends come and stay with us overnight or the weekend, which wouldn't be the case otherwise. In return, they offer their home to stay.
Many here have "certain resources" they trade, including us.
Wildlife regularly seen from the deck
100% Solar is legal. Generator used rarely. No utility companies except landline/fibre optic & internet & security system

People love to come and stay with us and it actu

Last edited by ElmersGlue.; 07-26-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 04:41 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
back then i think it was 1.60 in 2006..

not much different from where i was before the divorce ha ha
Insert here the old joke about why divorce costs so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement