Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

Notified my First and Second Level Managers of my intent to retire in December. HR doesn't want to discuss retirement with employees until 3 months before they leave the company. Being a former manager myself I know the staffing changes necessary to accommodate someone leaving the work group can take longer than 3 months - let alone any required training!

I continue to be contacted by Head-hunters weekly regarding openings in my area of specialization within the local community, but I am tired, worn-out, and don't feel I have enough left to give to a third employer.

Looking forward to some well earned 'me time' and 'couple time' following this second retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 06:36 AM

456 posts, read 348,865 times
Congratulations!

Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
It takes 3 months for someone to learn my job well enough to do it alone. 6 months to feel at least reasonably comfortable in it and 5 years before you are really proficient (where you aren't constantly having to ask others for advice).

I was torn about leaving the rest of the employees short handed but advanced warning or not, the company will hire when it wants to hire short handed or not so I got over that concern.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:47 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
You're gonna make me feel guilty for giving a 2 week notice last week

Last edited by Dire Wolf; 07-15-2019 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I am not sure why you are determined to give months and months of advanced notice. That typically will leave the employee in an uncertain, lame duck status. I have never worked for a company that would go out and hire and train a new employee months in advance. That is typically not included in the company's budget. On top of that if there is a critical employee with unique knowledge it is always important to have some backup coverage in case of an accident or medical condition or sudden departure permanent or temporary.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
[quote]It takes 3 months for someone to learn my job well enough to do it alone. 6 months to feel at least reasonably comfortable in it and 5 years before you are really proficient (where you aren't constantly having to ask others for advice).

I was torn about leaving the rest of the employees short handed but advanced warning or not, the company will hire when it wants to hire short handed or not so I got over that concern. [quote]

[quote]I am not sure why you are determined to give months and months of advanced notice. That typically will leave the employee in an uncertain, lame duck status. I have never worked for a company that would go out and hire and train a new employee months in advance. That is typically not included in the company's budget. On top of that if there is a critical employee with unique knowledge it is always important to have some backup coverage in case of an accident or medical condition or sudden departure permanent or temporary.[quote]

Because it is the right thing to do.

No, I am not so naïve as to think the company will adequately approach the staffing decisions in advance. Any failure in this regard will be theirs alone and not because of any inaction on my part. Working in a Nuclear Power Plant, with all the statutory credentials necessary just to enter the site (even before any opportunity to perform the job) my employment continuity is not in limbo. Although your concern is a valid one for many job positions.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
I gave 30 days to HR. My manager knew I was planning to retire months in advance.
But the company waits until the last minute so why bother and my work went to India anyway.
The new guy assigned to my job didn't want to have a telephone conversation so I just did a brain/paper dump via email and called it a day.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
I have heard many, many stories from people who were miffed about the way their retirement was handled. Sometimes it is a little sobering when we discover how incidental we are to our various companies. In my own case I left my last titled job to become self employed when I was 50, and it was not the reaction of senior management that has stayed with me - it was the reaction by the rank and file that I found most gratifying.
It's been nearly 25 years and I still remember some of the wonderful experiences of saying goodby to people I hardly knew.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
as i have posted in other threads, i told my customers looong before i told my company when i would retire.
the company did the HR "stuff", and i was gone. the customers still call me for advice, although i am not
up-to-date with the latest.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 AM

696 posts, read 703,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure why you are determined to give months and months of advanced notice. That typically will leave the employee in an uncertain, lame duck status. I have never worked for a company that would go out and hire and train a new employee months in advance. That is typically not included in the company's budget. On top of that if there is a critical employee with unique knowledge it is always important to have some backup coverage in case of an accident or medical condition or sudden departure permanent or temporary.
I gave three months notice before I retired. I needed it, and my boss appreciated it. It gave me time to transition some of the two dozen projects that I managed to other people and to wrap up the couple that were nearing completion.

No lame duck status for me. Prior to giving notice, I was stressed, working a lot of overtime, and burning out. Afterward, I received no more large, long-term projects and was able to breathe during my final weeks of employment. Employees, particularly in management positions, should consider how much time is needed for passing the baton, as well as the company culture, before putting in notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement