Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

A friend who is now about 87 or so, said some yrs back she started to really "feel" old when she hit 80.

I'm 81 very soon and if it were not for the bodywide OA and complications from hip replacement in 2010, I'd be "maybe" still out dancing...with whom I don't know.

TaKing supplements since I was in early 50's I KNOW has made a huge difference in my overall health. And yet so many in the health group poo poo nutritional supplements...they have no idea how much better they could be.

Just reading about a 107 yr old in the Bronx who is still going strong, lives on her own and attributes her longevity to "never getting married" and Never having a surgery. I get and understand both these events in one's life. I posted a video on this 107 here somewhere. You can find it if you want to take a look.

I don't have a desire to live into 100's but who knows. Since I'm now using HGH gel I am reversing some aging issues and will continue with it.

I stretch and walk as best I can with walker (thanks hip job) and my grape seed extract is my salvation for my good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Compared to many my age, I'm doing pretty good. Some aches when first getting out of bed, but some stretches help me loosen up.

Just talked to my cousin, who's one year older than me. She's had both knees replaced, with one knee needing it's third replacement! Don't those knees come with warranties? Anyhow, I still have all my original parts...

We've really modified our diets over the past few years. No more white, processed, yeasty carbs. Cut way back on sugar, too. That was hard, I dearly love chocolate and fruit pies (topped with ice cream, even better!) But bye-bye to them except once in a very blue moon.

Now, lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, complex grains. Blood pressure dropped, lab work is good. Dropped a bit of weight. More energy.

Go to the gym 3-4x a week. Aerobics, light weights, yoga sometimes. Keeps the sludge out of my arteries. Helps me sleep better, too.

Do I feel my age? I guess so, but I'm doing my best to stay on top of things. Like an older car takes more maintenance to be road worthy, trying to rotate my tires, change my oil and baby myself. Want to get the highest mileage and the smoothest ride I can for as long as I can!
Your cousin needs a 3rd revision on one replacement??? The longer I don't go there with my knee the more I know I'm doing the right thing.

Keep those original parts as the alternatives could put one in a worse place.

Since I'm using the HGH gel, my damaged knee is doing somewhat better,,, one just doesn't know what the HGH attacks until their body absorbs it....SLEEP is a big one that is first reported.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am turning 70 in December. I am not extraordinarily fit and active but I have always felt fit, healthy, and well. The only medication I take daily is thyroid pills. But I feel age is finally catching up with me this year.

I have seasonal allergy and those symptoms can debilitate me, resulting in cancelled plans for birding or something I enjoy very much. The occurrence and severity seems to have increased this year.
I have never had digestive problems and could eat anything I wanted to. Now I have acid reflux which is causing coughs and sore throat.
I developed rotator cuff pain - not sure how it happened.Treating with physical therapy, ibuprofen, ice and visits to the gym to strengthen muscles. It has helped a lot but still not 100% recovered, some mobility problems.

I seem to need need several naps! I suspect it might have something to do with how much screen time I spend in CD! My eyes get tired when reading any kind of text for some time.
I am supposed to take Vitamin D and calcium but I have been careless with it. Now I have decided to take them more regularly.

Something or other is always sore - knees, joints, feet.

How do you feel? How do stay fit? What do you do at the gym? what supplements do you take? What hurts?
Just turned 82 and I've got bad news for you. Its gonna get worse.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Just turned 82 and I've got bad news for you. Its gonna get worse.
I got my mom on grape seed ex when she was 85 and it changed a lot of issues for a couple yrs at least, she left us at 91 -- heart and some cancer.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'm 72 years old. Since I retired nearly two years ago, I fell into a funk where I got minimal exercise and stayed around the house. I gained back 30 pounds of the weight I'd lost. My atrial fibrillation and the arthritis in my back started getting worse, to the point where I feared I was on the road to decriptude and that's just the way it was going to be. No energy, no strength, aches and pains, winded and chest pain when I tried to walk. My enjoyment of life was not what it used to be.

I started back on my food tracking over three weeks ago, and making better choices. I also started going on daily walks and am on my way to getting in 10K steps a day. In addition, I've started doing the neck and back exercises I was given by my doctor and chiropractor years ago.

I feel great now and am enjoying life more. I've lost 12.5 pounds (though some of that is water weight, I'm sure), and feel more sure on my feet. I can make it through my daily walk without having to stop and catch my breath. I moved my gym membership to my new town and plan on doing some weight training there to strengthen my muscles and core, and use the treadmills when it's too hot or rainy to walk outside.

What I've learned is: it's never too late to make some changes - and as you get older, your condition can go downhill rapidly if you don't stay on top of it, as LittleDolphin says.

Seems those 10,000 steps were a gimmick to sell pedometers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-steps-per-day

Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I got my mom on grape seed ex when she was 85 and it changed a lot of issues for a couple yrs at least, she left us at 91 -- heart and some cancer.

How exactly do you know this?

Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I heard somewhere that the rate of our physical deterioration is proportionate to the passing of time (and ultimately related to how well we take care of ourselves). For example, the rate of our deterioration from 60-70 is proportionate to what we experienced between 50-60. Likewise, 70-80 is relatively proportionate to 60-70... etc.. At 72, I've noticed a much more significant slide in the last 10-years ... as in the preceding 10-years (but, at 50-60, who's really paying attention).

I think I read this on the internet, so I know it must be scientifically and medically accurate.
I've also read this.

At 75, I'm feeling my age. I tire more easily and don't have a lot of initiative to do house and yard work.

One thing I've noticed is that I've done resistance exercises on a home gym machine faithfully three times a week for the past 5 1/2 years but am not gaining strength. I have to do this just to stay even. So I can only imagine what it's like for those my age who don't do anything to maintain fitness.

Time marches on and all we can do is the best we can with what is within our physical capabilities. I have little sympathy for those who are not diligent about diet and exercise and play "ain't it awful" as they slide down the path to greater debilitation.

I play golf and ski (downhill) with people in their 80's so I have some good role models in my life.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My husband is 68, still doing ok. But he has to watch out, he can do something wrong and his back will hurt a few days like recently, we rent a smaller SUV than we normally drive. After sitting in his seat, he got back pain. I almost thought he might not be able to fly back to California. So I gave him my best massage I know how and he got better. He can walk easily on regular trail, but we were both puffing and huffing at high altitude like 10,000 ft, we didn’t want to take anymore risk so we head back to our car.
All this happened on our vacation, that’s when he doesn’t do any sit-up or exercise.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 08-08-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I'm 73 and I'd say I have nothing to complain about.

I'm a creature of habit. I'm up at 4:30 or 5 am, and outdoors all day to get chores done (we have livestock to tend). If I don't bother to notice, I can do most of what I used to without any real effort. I do nap most afternoons. I never tolerated heat very well, and nowadays it's even less well. I don't sleep as soundly, or as long, as I used to.

Elizabeth Warren is just a youngster in national politics, at age 70. She's eclipsed in age by Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, Robert Mueller and many others that few would suspect. Money doesn't do it. They have learned to keep their weight down, avoid alcohol and tobacco, ease up on sugar, and stay active and engaged. It's something we all could do, for FREE.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Fortunately, no aches, pains, or meds at 77 years, but when hiking in the National Forest last time, found myself huffing and puffing, and unable to keep up with my younger (70) partner. Have no energy reserves whatsoever. Sometimes I even get lightheaded. Crawled under the car to do some work and immediately became nauseous. Should probably quit doing that. Also, it's very depressing when I look in the mirror. Have to quit doing that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement