Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Elizabeth Warren is the same age as me. I cannot imagine campaigning the way she does. What is the magic?
There is no magic. It is just biology. We are all aging but everyone ages differently and at different rates. Some people have great genes and live healthy for many years, some of us fall apart quickly.

Eating correctly, exercise, don't abuse alcohol or anything else will all help but there is no magic solution that will guarantee you will live long and healthy.

As to me, I was pretty darn healthy up to about 66. Lots of little things now - bad hearing, arthritis, heart palpitations, creaky joints. But I don't take any meds and stay away from doctors. I am 68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 02:57 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
I developed rotator cuff pain - not sure how it happened.Treating with physical therapy, ibuprofen, ice and visits to the gym to strengthen muscles. It has helped a lot but still not 100% recovered, some mobility problems.

I seem to need need several naps! I suspect it might have something to do with how much screen time I spend in CD! My eyes get tired when reading any kind of text for some time.
I am supposed to take Vitamin D and calcium but I have been careless with it. Now I have decided to take them more regularly.

Something or other is always sore - knees, joints, feet.

How do you feel? How do stay fit? What do you do at the gym? what supplements do you take? What hurts?
1. I'd like to know who defined these years as "The Golden Years". Even though I'd like to slap them silly, I am thankful I am still upright, albeit not near as efficiently as I used to be

2.I was diagnosed with high level Grade II Spondoliotheliosis (sp?) around 2011. I'm still deteriorating.

DH had a heart attack in 2012 and prostate cancer surgery in 2018. He has never smoked or done drugs a day of his life and neither have I.

We have a small farm that we maintain ourselves, with a few exceptions because most young people can't stand the thought of sweating and getting dirt under their fingernails.

That means we push thru all the pain & discomforts and don't allow ourselves to dwell on it because this is what we want to do with the rest of our lives.

We both run the farm tractor. Bush hogging the hilly pastures is close to a 30 hour job; this year we've been doing between thunder storms, so it seems like more than 30 hours.

I mowed for three hours yesterday with the sub compact John Deere that is a lot bigger than your average lawn tractor. I did that AFTER I fed & brushed my horses, turned them out, then cleaned stalls and jockeyed the big barrel fans around to blow on the horses when they come in the barn to get away from the flies.

We both have had to find new ways to get things done. We aren't near as efficient as we used to be. We pick our battles daily instead of just charging ahead "***** to the wall like we used to.

For us this farm, DH's race car, and my born-in-the-blood addiction for my horses keep us going and keep us fit enough that our doctors shake their heads, and tell us to keep doing what we are doing

DH is 71, I am 72. My two remaining horses are 24 & 25 and will be laid to rest on this farm when their end times come. That's when I MIGHT start to fuss about no longer being able to wake up and hit the floor running, that I need a cane to walk and that I am defying the odds by only needing a cane instead of a walker.

So we have aches and pains --- those of us who are still mobile on our own two legs still have much to be thankful for and should stop whining

Old 08-09-2019, 07:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I'm 66. Healthy and fit is not in my vocabulary.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Seems those 10,000 steps were a gimmick to sell pedometers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-steps-per-day
That's a lot of steps to hit.

I work and have a sedentary desk job, and I've hit at least 10,000 3/4 business days this week. It's something I've had to work at. I did almost 16,000 one day, but I did 40 mins on the elliptical at lunch, plus a lot of walking to a baseball stadium.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I will be 65 in six weeks so it is interesting to read comments here. For now, I am blessed with decent health. No meds, no conditions, few aches etc but I know that will change. I live on a street that seems to be comprised of people over 70 and there is a wide range of health for my neighbors. Some are out walking every morning with a bounce in their step and others are overweight, sedentary and very ill from diabetes or other chronic conditions. I guess the Pareto Principle applies to aging too. 20% will age well and rest not so much.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I’m a ‘49’er so I hit the bit 70 this year. So far no difference than me at age 60. Always suffer with acid reflux when my weight goes over 140 lbs. So I watch that scale carefully. Has been that was since my 50’s. Otherwise all the same. I am taking a multi vitamin and calcium pills most days (when I remember). My MIL (deceased at 104) told me never to take my vitamin and calcium at the same time to get most effect from each.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I used to have an occasional acid reflux problem until I drink lemon water in the morning. No problem eating pizza at night, something we rarely eat, but on our trip to June Lake, there were not May choices, so we ate pizza. My husband never has any trouble with accident reflux ever.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I used to have an occasional acid reflux problem until I drink lemon water in the morning. No problem eating pizza at night, something we rarely eat, but on our trip to June Lake, there were not May choices, so we ate pizza. My husband never has any trouble with accident reflux ever.
what is lemon water?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM

4,862 posts, read 2,674,972 times
I'm 70..71 tomorrow!..take thyroid pill and statin..go to the gym every other day..15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the nautilus machines..got a good jag of arthritis in my shoulder that wakes me up several times at night..am trying cbd oil for it but ain't helping..two aleve sometimes helps..

Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
what is lemon water?
Squeeze lemon to a warm glass of water, drink it for at least 30 minutes before you eat anything else. My sister told me about it. Some health benefits. We only squeeze a quarter of lemon for an 8 oz water in the morning.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313681.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement