Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is election season and some of are using our free time to volunteer in election campaigns at the state,
Oval or national level.
Want to share? No need to say who.
But if you want to say yes or no and if yes at what level.

I am at the federal level and seeing the young and retirees working as paid staff and volunteers.
We as retirees are a good source for recruiting. Are we being used

Please no politics this is about retirees being active in the process.
you are supposed to be retired, go away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 06:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is election season and some of are using our free time to volunteer in election campaigns at the state,
Oval or national level.
Want to share? No need to say who.
But if you want to say yes or no and if yes at what level.

I am at the federal level and seeing the young and retirees working as paid staff and volunteers.
We as retirees are a good source for recruiting. Are we being used

Please no politics this is about retirees being active in the process.
I wouldn't mind helping staff a public polling station during an election. IMHO that is supporting the process and the public. I cannot bring to mind any candidate I could in good conscience donate time to.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:30 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,420,847 times
My wife has worked the polls for years. Long day they throw her and the others $100 for their effort.
Long day but worth the effort as part of the process. We need the next generation to get involved to keep things going. Unfortunately they are too busy on Facebook to be part of the Democratic process.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:31 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
I have thought about it during this cycle (assuming one of my 'favorite' candidates comes out of Super Tuesday intact) but have hesitated due to some of the same reasons that others have mentioned (getting hounded forever after for contributions of time and/or money.)

I have never been a "group" person and one of the things I enjoy most about retirement is the almost total lack of day to day structure or pressure or expectations from "the outside." So I do feel as though I might well regret getting involved, even though it would be ostensibly for a relatively short time.

A few people I know enjoy volunteering in various (non political) activities but being a volunteer has never been something that ever appealed to me. Guess I am just not 'wired' for it. Or maybe just mercenary, LOL

Old 02-17-2020, 07:36 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
My wife has worked the polls for years. Long day they throw her and the others $100 for their effort.
Long day but worth the effort as part of the process. We need the next generation to get involved to keep things going. Unfortunately they are too busy on Facebook to be part of the Democratic process.
yes they do need to get involved.

Most of the poll workers are senior citizens. They just started paying them a few years ago in our Texas county. In the old days people would volunteer.

And yes 100 or so bucks is the going rate.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:05 PM

43,123 posts, read 18,281,341 times
For as long as I can remember the poll workers were always seniors.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
For as long as I can remember the poll workers were always seniors.
Sometimes teachers who had the day off because schools were being used as polling places.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:09 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I wouldn't mind helping staff a public polling station during an election. IMHO that is supporting the process and the public. I cannot bring to mind any candidate I could in good conscience donate time to.

I worked one election a few years back in the Bay Area. As others note, it's a very long day, but you get breaks. I got paid $112.

Afterwards I decided been there, done that, no need to do it again.

I would not work on anyone's campaign.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Not lately but some years ago I was part of a 'get out the vote' canvassing team. It was okay back then. Things have changed since then and I probably would not go knocking on doors now.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I make it a point to leave the USA during election years. Good time spent helping other cultures in legitimate need.

I have found foreign citizens to be far more knowledgeable on USA elections and how that affects them as foreigners than your typical USA citizen (likely very uninformed, and equally disinterested).

There is merit to volunteering for those who can sleep OK with their allegiance and the predictable outcome of that on others. I do not find myself qualified to participate in that activity.

We typically spend a few weeks / yr in DC (since 1980's) and attend 'insider events' since we have family members serving in the Senate. I still don't get it, but many are very committed and qualified for that cause and service. I am way to much of a purist / idealist, respecting and appreciating the stamina, purpose and sacrifice of our country's forefathers and founders. If we again return to a volunteer electorate, I would value contributing my time to the cause.

YM (and views) MV

I must say I was quite taken aback by a very good LT retired friend who could not accept that reply. 40+ yrs as good and supportive friends, and that discussion ended it. Thus the polarization does not let me sleep well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement